Tarot

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:20 pm

I've been experimenting with tarot, and I think my life will soon change for the better.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:19 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I've been experimenting with tarot, and I think my life will soon change for the better.

You know that's all bullshit, yes? It's faker than wrestling.

I own a tarot deck, which I picked up specifically for use as an alternative to dice in a thematically linked convention slot game of Mage: the Ascention.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:42 pm

I used to think it was, but the one of pentacles described my recent past perfectly. Also, the Judgement Arcana reminded me of an old online friend whom I've had a falling out with two years ago. She left her Deviant Art account immediately afterward. Since I had her on my mind, I went to her old DA page, only to find that she had a new avatar and signature. I just sent her a message. If bullshit reunites me with an old friend, I'm pretty sure it's not bullshit.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Tarot cards as we know them came into being only about a hundred years ago, and were altered from what was more or less a deck of playing cards. The probably didn't foretell your past in very much detail, and you were able to embellish on the few similarities they brought up to fit your own life like a glove. The fact that you remembered this friend was because you still have unresolved issues with her. Fortune telling and magic can be fun for boring nights, but you don't need to use them as an excuse to reestablish connections with people, or for anything else.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:47 pm

I know they're far from ancient, but astral projection and astrology have seemed to reveal themselves true, so I figured I'd try tarot out.
/hj

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:12 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I know they're far from ancient, but astral projection and astrology have seemed to reveal themselves true, so I figured I'd try tarot out.

Oooookay then... :crazytwirl:
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:25 am

Tarot cards as we know them came into being only about a hundred years ago, and were altered from what was more or less a deck of playing cards. The probably didn't foretell your past in very much detail, and you were able to embellish on the few similarities they brought up to fit your own life like a glove. The fact that you remembered this friend was because you still have unresolved issues with her. Fortune telling and magic can be fun for boring nights, but you don't need to use them as an excuse to reestablish connections with people, or for anything else.

The way I see it, things like tarot cards are just sort of used as a vehicle for something thats already there. If you put the energy into something and believe it enough, you can use anything like tarot cards, you'll be able to accurately predict the future with dooky if you put your mind to it hard enough.

Anyway I knew a guy from the guyver rp site I used to go to who could use tarot cards to talk to ghosts. I never really got around to asking him what his method in doing so was exactly though.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:16 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:you'll be able to accurately predict the future with dooky if you put your mind to it hard enough.

in that case, wouldn't just flipping a coin be cheaper and easier? or not trying to predict the future
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:47 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:in that case, wouldn't just flipping a coin be cheaper and easier? or not trying to predict the future

Or, my preferred two step method:

1. Look around you.

2. Think.

Works a lot better than most other methods.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:45 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:in that case, wouldn't just flipping a coin be cheaper and easier? or not trying to predict the future

Well the problem with that is you'll need to work harder to get accurate results. With something like Tarot there's a lot of people who believe in it, and therefore a lot of energy behind it, now if you add your own energy and beliefs to it this will make it more powerful, but with or without that its already got something going for it. Now coin tossing on the other hand, while there probably are a few people out there who believe it can predict the future, there's not very many. So you'd have to put a lot more from yourself into it to get the same sort of results.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 pm

A coin is completely random and makes the decision for you. While I do not think tarot actually works, it helps me think of things I probably wouldn't of before. It helps in that way.
/hj

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:53 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:A coin is completely random and makes the decision for you.

So is a properly shuffled deck of cards. Regardless of if you're basing the decision on a coin flip or on the vague advice of symbolic bits of art on cardboard the decision is still yours to make and has NOTHING to do with the random crap you add into the mix to externalize your responsibility for your own life.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm

Ah, let him believe what he wants NemZ. Sure, you can reserve the right to respect his perspective, but it doesn't mean that you could possibly change it. And why does it matter to you anyways?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:37 pm

I personally don't use tarot cards, but it may seem like a nice distraction to pass the time and give some insight into the beliefs of the past. We look to the past to create a better future, after all. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:10 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:why does it matter to you anyways?

Because it's all symbolic nonsense, telling people what they already know and more often than not what they want to hear. It's the sort of thing that lets people rationalize stupid, even harmful behaviors, not unlike asking for advice from others while you're really just looking for someone else to give you permission to do what you want but know you shouldn't.

It also lends people to passively blaming fate for all their problems which, while quite possibly true in a deterministic sense, isn't helpful in making better, more responsible choices.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:18 pm

I am not a believer of fortune telling including tarot, but I agree with Stryker that we can respectfully "let him believe what he wants" unless it is going to obsession level.

Can we have something that is about "RML" ?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Tarot

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Continued from the tangent in RML, if any mods would be so kind as to split the tangent, then merge it here, I'd be rather grateful.

To paraphrase:
NemZ wrote:Tarot tells what you want to hear

Reversed 3 of Swords, Reversed Death Arcana, Reversed Knight of Pentacles, Reversed five of Pentacles, 4 of Cups, Reversed Strength Arcana, 8 of Swords, 4 of Pentacles, Reversed 3 of Pentacles, Reversed Queen of Swords, Reversed Queen of Cups, and Reversed Page of Pentacles are not something I want to see in my future.
/hj

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:22 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I am not a believer of fortune telling including tarot, but I agree with Stryker that we can respectfully "let him believe what he wants" unless it is going to obsession level.

Can we have something that is about "RML" ?

:ehh: That's what this is in my opinion. The only way I could see this end is with a big argument..
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Yeah man, I'm perfectly fine with you believing in tarot cards and stuff. But, you're just going on a crusade here, so I would be careful how you proceed.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Hope you got plenty of asbestos, TehDonutKing.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”