[News] News Thread - NO POLITICS 2011

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Probably, but these are pirates, and these lasers are supposedly only gonna temporarily blind them.

dug up the article in question and it turns out it is legal as long as they aren't permanently blinded.
source: [url]http://www.un.org/millennium/law/xxvi-18-19.htm[/url]
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:41 am

- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 am

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:the push for "silliness" continues
slowpoke.tiff
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:10 pm

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Is responding with drawers? Damn, that must hurt.

But if it's about cojones, I guess this will do:

Muslims Act as Human Shields for Coptic Christians in Egypt

In Egypt, millions of Coptic Christians celebrated Christmas on Friday as the community continues to reel from the New Year’s Day church bombing that killed 21 people and injured dozens more. In a sign of solidarity, thousands of Muslims gathered on Thursday night to protect Egyptian Copts as they celebrated Christmas Eve. Acting as human shields, the Muslims surrounded churches in an attempt to prevent any more attacks. The Muslims organized under the slogan: “We either live together, or we die together."

Sorry, couldn't resist. But hey, to bring it back to level, here's a feel-good one:

Police: Ferret Eats Baby's Fingers. Watch out Nanoha!

And another one to finish the week in an uplifting mood:

Homeless man with golden voice briefly detained by police. And I even heard (on Distorted View) that they cancelled all contracts.

Yeah! Life is good! Everything is just pinky winky la vie en rose.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:51 pm

^misspelling on my part, I confused cajones with cojones, one vowel off, I would have lost on Wheel of Fortune, or Volante de Fortuna

estoy oxidado en mi Español, estoy mis disculpas
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:slowpoke.tiff
I knew one of these days being six (or seven during DST) hours behind the UK would catch up with me

I posted the follow up on the fallout though

in other news, I have always been an Aries and not a Taurus as the star-watchers first thought, maybe those wily Mayans predicted it

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:56 am

Has anyone here every became addicted to searching random stuff on Wikipedia just to kill time? Well it seems to be a rather common occurrence
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12172367[/url]
And computer buffs will be delighted to learn that one of the first "modern" computers will be restored to working condition.
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12181153[/url]
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dartz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:01 pm

-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Ironfoot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:09 am

Utterly ridiculous that they haven't said this sooner. But yes, this is true and what they've known for years (Having my birthday on the Aquarius/Pisces cusp is a fairly interesting experience indeed.) Still, it is good to see at least SOME of what should be told pulled out of the covers (even though this isn't nearly as important as other things).

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:58 pm

I don't know how many of you follow coins or investing but for those who do, the US nickel is now worth 9.22 cents in raw materials. Add that to the fact that nickels will be made with different materials within a year or two, a la a new bill that was passed, current nickels will become like the silver coins back in the 60s. Anyways, just informing everyone.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 am

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I don't know how many of you follow coins or investing but for those who do, the US nickel is now worth 9.22 cents in raw materials. Add that to the fact that nickels will be made with different materials within a year or two, a la a new bill that was passed, current nickels will become like the silver coins back in the 60s. Anyways, just informing everyone.

Fun. It isn't as drastic as the steel pennies of 1943, but it still shows the tight squeeze of commodities in a depressed economy.

In better news (despite being a little dated), staring at boobs long enough increases your life expectancy. "Just 10 minutes of staring at the charms of a well-endowed female, is roughly equivalent to a 30-minute aerobics work-out."

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Hm, I believe wheel of fortuner would be Rueda de la Fortuna. Volante is used for steering wheel. But don't worry. My english is even rustier than your castellano. (because the language is that from Castilla, in Spain they speak many tongues... that's what a professor always used to rant about)

BTW, heard this news on Distorted View and couldn't believe the crazy: Loughner's photos reportedly include G-string and gun‎. It's just not possible that Mr. Hands video became public and these would not. It's just a matter of time before we can all have nightmares of that mugshot in a g-string...
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 pm

^John Hinckley clone minus the Jodie Foster connection (or any other public figure despite the lingering accusations), dude needs a strait jacket and should stay away from hallucinogens for the rest of his days

and gracias for the Spanish pointers, I forgot about the Latin American Spanish versus European/Spain Spanish difference
View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I don't know how many of you follow coins or investing but for those who do, the US nickel is now worth 9.22 cents in raw materials.
I am stocked up and ready for the shoe to drop, I have had most of my life savings in such commodities for a while due to things like this happening
View Original PostIronfoot wrote:In better news (despite being a little dated), staring at boobs long enough increases your life expectancy. "Just 10 minutes of staring at the charms of a well-endowed female, is roughly equivalent to a 30-minute aerobics work-out."
if that's remotely true, I should live longer than Methuselah

and btw, any of you know of a corner drug store besides those state-run Pakistani and North Korean ones that sell plutonium? :madscience:

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:29 am

Nintendo gears up for the N. American release of the 3DS
[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-20/nintendo-3ds-n-american-launch-date-price-revealed[/url]

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:18 am

I don't know how many of you follow coins or investing but for those who do, the US nickel is now worth 9.22 cents in raw materials.

AFAIK the pre-1980's 1-cent coin is now worth like 5 cents. Don't know the conversion for the newer, less copper pure version.

Talking about that, the other day I read that quarters and dimes previous to 1965 had silver content. Damn it, I could only find 1966 quarters in my collection! Getting silver coins in Argentina can be so hard, a Canadian Maple is a hot item that flies off the shelves once its in (even though bullion sellers here have silver $20 over spot, and gold it's like $200 over spot). And damnit, gold today took a big plunge (over $20) on higher than expected China growth. I was expecting the drop nearer to 27th or whenever options expiration is this month.

My Israeli friends tell me there's another store down the corner run by South Africans that used to do the deal. That is, until they changed management.
My List @ AniDB

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Angry Birds: The Series!

They better use the same theme song as the game.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:38 pm

My Israeli friends tell me there's another store down the corner run by South Africans that used to do the deal. That is, until they changed management.
^yeah, I hear ya

and now for a mass bird death update...*(bum, bum, buuuuummmmmm) dramatic music stab*

and click on this link to find out why this innocent looking bear is, um, "really happy", Lazy Town may no longer be his favorite TV show of all time anymore

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:24 pm

apparently for the last 40 years the US has had a ban on Haggis
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12259126[/url]
and the French government has to work harder in order to protect a endangered hamster species.
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12250291[/url]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 am

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”