[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:30 am

new Death Grips is out. beats are better than TMS and probably on a level with Exmilitary but the vox are kind of shite. remember when Death Grips sounded less like radio rap and more like a crackedout hobo shouting in your ear while sodomizing you with a claw hammer? well i do, anyway

"Artificial Death in the West" is a great closer though
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

CaasiBoy
Embryo

Postby CaasiBoy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:03 pm

I loved Exmilitary and TMS but hated this one (beats and vocals). I could barely sit through it.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 pm

NO LOVE DEEP WEB was alright. Honestly, I'm not sure it was worth canceling a tour over. Their retrograde project is probably my favorite thing they've done recently

The Money Store remains their most commercial album. I guess that's not ironic, but you get the idea. Get Got was probably the most "radio-friendly" thing they've ever put out, though, and that's saying a lot.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

Wanna talk about Tool?

Postby Merkaba » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 am

Tool is the GREATEST band in the world.
Do you listen to them? If so, let's talk.
For starters, I can't decide what their best album is. If I had to say right now, in descending order, it'd be Lateralus, 10,000 Days, AEnema, Salival, Undertow and then Opiate.
Please note, however, that for me, honestly, the top four (Lateralus through Salival) rotate often, and all of them, for extended periods, have been my favorite.
Thoughts?

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Wanna talk about Tool?

Postby Quadhonk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Tool is the GREATEST band in the world.
Do you listen to them? If so let's talk.
For starters, I can't decide what their best album is. If I had to say right now, in descending order, it'd be Lateralus, 10,000 Days, AEnema, Salival, Undertow and then Opiate.
Please note, however, that for me, honestly, the top four (Lateralus through Salival) rotate often, and all of them, for extended periods, have been my favorite.
Thoughts?

They aren't the greatest band ever, those are my thoughts.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Merkaba » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:07 am

That's the very adult thing to say. :)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am

I enjoyed Aenima, didn't really listen to the rest.
They're okay, I guess.

SPOILER: Show
LEARN TO SWIM
LEARN TO SWIM
LEARN TO SWIM

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Quadhonk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 am

The greatest band ever is clearly the Beatles. Just sayin. And because this is the internet my tastes are better than yours by default.
Also, shouldn't this be in the music discussion thread?
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 am

View Original PostQuadhonk wrote:The greatest band ever is clearly the Beatles. Just sayin. And because this is the internet my tastes are better than yours by default.
Also, shouldn't this be in the music discussion thread?

Rolling Stones > Beatles
Last edited by KnightmareX13 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Merkaba » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:20 am

In all fairness, Quadhonk, I said "in the world," not "ever." Unfortunately, only two of Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band members are in this world anymore...

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Quadhonk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 am

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:In all fairness, Quadhonk, I said "in the world," not "ever." Unfortunately, only two of Sgt. Peppers' Lonely Hearts Club Band members are in this world anymore...

Yeah, but then I kicked this discussion up a notch. And the Rolling Stones are good, but the only band the comes close is Queen. Freddie Mercury was just to epic for this planet.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Merkaba » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 am

You said Tool isn't your cup of tea. Why not?

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Quadhonk » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:38 am

To be honest I don't think I've really listend to a lot of their stuff. I've only ever heard them on the radio. I don't own any of their CD's and I haven't dl'd any of their music. They just never really stood out to me.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Tool is alright. I really like a couple of their songs, can kinda get into some others, but find the rest pretty boring. Their sound is rehashed with every album and wasn't too unique to begin with. I give them a B-.

View Original PostQuadhonk wrote:Also, shouldn't this be in the music discussion thread?

Yes.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 pm

I wish I had a credit card so I can go finally order Seventeen More Times by Esselfortium
:(

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Tool has some really nice riffing but I kinda wish they had uses for melody once in a while. Makes them somewhat tiring listen to me as they are though I guess I can make it to end of Lateralus if I really want to. Basically what Sachi said minus the Christgauin'

as for the question of the "greatest band" the obvious and only answer is The Beatles who have no competition whether we look at critical reception, popularity or cultural impact and influence on other artists.

If it's a matter of pure musicianship I guess some classic jazz lineup (y'know, like folks on Kind of Blue or A Love Supreme) takes the cake :shrug:

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Daniel Johnston is the best musician in the world. Ok, not really, but he's by far the most raw and real musician I've ever heard.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Tool has some really nice riffing

lol

View Original PostXard wrote:Makes them somewhat tiring listen to me as they are though I guess I can make it to end of Lateralus if I really want to.

Nah I'm pretty sure you're simply getting sick of Maynard Keenan's attempt to jam his cock down your ear. Tool rose to prominence because they were the least shitty of the two or three alt-metal bands that possessed any ambition and, by the grace of god, they've since fallen back into the shitheap.

View Original PostXard wrote:as for the question of the "greatest band" the obvious and only answer is

that bands aren't good??

View Original PostXard wrote:The Beatles

crying_scaruffi.jpg
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Well, fuck all of you. My favorite band is shoehorn
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 pm

That video is probably what people expect to see when they first hear of my favorite band, Animal Collective.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”