[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:41 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:My favorite rap album is a tie between Nas's Illmatic and Wu-Tang Clan's 36 Chambers

Add OutKast's ATLiens to those and you'd have my top three.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Vicious
Embryo

Postby Vicious » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:29 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:But I'm pretty much the only one here who listens to hip hop, aren't I? So yeah...

so alone...

so... alone...

Well, I listen to Eminem. He's kind of the rapper people who don't generally like rap listen to though, so I guess that doesn't count for much...

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:01 am

Maybe ten years ago, it was Eminem. Now it's The Lonely Island.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:44 am

Technically I listen to hiphop as well since I bought Tha Blue Herb's Stilling, Still Dreaming and Scha Dara Parr's 5th Wheel 2 The Coach and Wild Fancy Alliance while I was in Japan.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:55 am

I've been listening to Counting Crows recently, i think they're among my favorite bands, even if i just love a few of their songs (Mr. Jones, Ballet d'Or, Ghost Train, etc.) Also, i have no idea why, but their song "Rain King"* fills me with such a joyful peace.

* The more acoustic versions, by the way.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:58 am

Having now heard Kill 'Em All by Metallica and Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? by Megadeth, I can somewhat relate to Azathoth on:

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Someday I'm going to achieve my dream: my dream of re-scoring the entirety of Berserk with songs by the Big Four. Only I'm not really sure whether I should end with "Raining Blood" or "The Call of Ktulu".

Although I'll note once again that I've only seen the first episode of Berserk, I feel I have enough of an idea of the show to get what you mean - and it sounds glorious.
Voluntary Illusion.

Love Not Given Lightly
Embryo

Postby Love Not Given Lightly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:10 am

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Blondie and Rage Against the Machine. Oh, and Devo.
There are no stupid ideas, only stupid executions.

Vicious
Embryo

Postby Vicious » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:57 am

So I'm going to a Radiohead concert next week. Hype. Even if the setlist will consist mostly of The King of Limbs stuff, which I'm half-indifferent too. Hopefully a few classics from The Bends and OK Computer will still make the cut though.

Sahara
Embryo

Postby Sahara » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Any fellow Tool fans on this forum? I think Tool's music fits frighteningly well with Eva...too bad there aren't more AMVs mixing the two.

I'm currently cycling through Tool CDs since my ipod went missing. Their music really gets you thinking. It's an amazing creative stimulant that has helped me out of countless instances of writer's block. I'm trying my hand at Forty six & 2 on the bass as well...it's slow going, haha.

EDIT: Apparently Tool has already been discussed extensively in this thread. Sorry for not reading before posting. :blush:
"And if you don't live, you have nothing to write about." -Maynard James Keenan

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Been listening to MeatLoaf."Bat out of Hell is still one of my favorite albums.

On the other side of the coin I´ve been listening to good old Simon and Garfunkel. Sound of Silence has such a powerful message.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby cd603 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Anybody here listen to Twin Shadow??? I like his new album a little too much...

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:12 pm

I've had The Mars Volta's new album Noctourniquet for a couple of months now. Honestly, I listen to them just to see the kind of rhythms Omar Rodriguez-Lopez can come up with. This album just grabbed me and I found myself unable to stop listening to it for about a week.

I think my favorite songs from the album were The Malkin Jewel and Molochwalker. I'm especially impressed with the drumming in the latter.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 pm

View Original PostVicious wrote:So I'm going to a Radiohead concert next week. Hype. Even if the setlist will consist mostly of The King of Limbs stuff, which I'm half-indifferent too. Hopefully a few classics from The Bends and OK Computer will still make the cut though.

Hope you have a good time. I myself missed out on getting a ticket to one of Radiohead's shows over here, but since they haven't been here since 2006 they are apparently intending to play a lot of their older material in addition to their The King of Limbs tracks.

View Original PostSahara wrote:Apparently Tool has already been discussed extensively in this thread. Sorry for not reading before posting. :blush:

It's no biggie. I can't recall ever looking back too far in this thread myself, and as the userbase here has a extraordinary range of tastes, it isn't very often that a few people will get into a discussion about the same artist/band/group. The last time I remember this happening was when we were tiering Radiohead albums...
But to uh, get on topic, I have had Ænema for a couple of years now. It's been ages since I heard anything from it though, and while I enjoy it, it hasn't exactly been a reason for me to try anything else from Tool. Not that I *never* will, it's just that I'm more interested in other bands at the moment.

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:I've had The Mars Volta's new album Noctourniquet for a couple of months now. Honestly, I listen to them just to see the kind of rhythms Omar Rodriguez-Lopez can come up with. This album just grabbed me and I found myself unable to stop listening to it for about a week.

I think my favorite songs from the album were The Malkin Jewel and Molochwalker. I'm especially impressed with the drumming in the latter.

Oh vey a The Mars Volta fan that isn't Jimbo!
You know CC, between here, Smogon and Rolling Stone mag AU, I think you're the only fellow I've seen who actually said they enjoyed Noctourniquet and didn't say they were disappointed with it and/or thought it wasn't well-grounded. I suppose that's kind of good to hear, but then again, I'm only as far as De-Loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute and I haven't gotten anything else of theirs in about a year.
Voluntary Illusion.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:37 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote: You know CC, between here, Smogon and Rolling Stone mag AU, I think you're the only fellow I've seen who actually said they enjoyed Noctourniquet and didn't say they were disappointed with it and/or thought it wasn't well-grounded. I suppose that's kind of good to hear, but then again, I'm only as far as De-Loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute and I haven't gotten anything else of theirs in about a year.

Well, to be honest, the only full album I've heard is De-Loused in the Comatorium. I've heard a couple of songs off their other albums. Bands change over time, so I prefer to rate an album based on how interesting it is on it's own merits, rather than compared to other albums a band has done. Honestly, having not really listened to a lot of their music over the last decade, I was kind of surprised how different the albums sounded, but it still managed to reach out and grab me. I appreciate that they're trying to push new boundaries in music, and I think they're succeeding to an extent.

Really, the thing that interests me most about Mars Volta is their idea of "future music", how Rodriguez-Lopez's composing puts that idea into practice.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 am

Recent listenings:

Pharaoh Overlord - Lunar Jetman: I always keep an eye on Circle and associated acts (the Pori scene in general, actually) since there's an astonishing amount of variation that can arise within a microcosmic heap of perma-stoned Finnfags. I've always recalled Pharaoh Overlord as being very minimalistic instrumental stoner doom, but this is a much less metal album that focuses on somewhat lengthy, thoroughly chilled spacerock jams with guitars often shoved well into the background. I kind of prefer their simpler, riff-heavy efforts, but this is an admirable attempt to introduce a little complexity into the compositions of a band primarily concerned with being hypnotically basic.

Blue Sabbath Black Cheer & Irr. App. (Ext.) - Skeletal Copula Remains: I'll admit I checked out this collab because of the hilarious band names, but the music isn't bad: reverberating, psychy drone noise with a metallic edge and some wonderfully grinding dynamic shifts. 2obscure4youtube, I guess. also the rym entry for the album lists its name as "Skeletal Coupla Remains", which made me laugh.

Sun of the Blind - Skullreader: The Darkspace guy attempts to make a "depressive" black metal album. Much like Darkspace, the record itself is reasonably enjoyable to listen to but instantly forgotten when you're done. I suppose what little talent existed there comes from the Paysage d'Hiver guy, and not this one. As a rule, making "depressive black metal" is less effective than just killing yourself already.

Nuclear Witch - s/t: fchhfhchshfshchfshhcfhschfhhshshchsatanhdfgc hcshchgcfghhgsghgcgfghscgghs: now on cassette tape. Nah but most of this is actually pretty catchy, although if it was any longer than 15 minutes it would probably get old. Video is worth a glance, the Lurk Sleep Kill guy has a nice library of creepy images to rapidly cut through.

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Blood Lust: Speaking of catchy, every song on this album is great. Unabashedly poppy metal is kind of hard to come by. There's unabashed metal, and there's pop metal, and not very often the twain shall meet, but occasionally they do run right up each other's asses in an admirable fashion. This music knows exactly what it is, and if you think it gives a shit, fuck you. I WAS BORN A WICKED MAN, NO HOPES OR DREAMS, I GET MY KICKS FROM TORTURING AND SCREAMS.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:27 am

If we want to go back to the Battle of Britpop, I will be Lieutenant General of the Blur army. But goddamn, I fucking love "Supersonic."

But still, Blur's new track "Under the Westway" is nothing short of beautiful.

FriedlCore
Adam

Postby FriedlCore » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:25 am

I like all kinds of Metal, starting from old Metallica over Slayer and Pantera to Power-Metallish stuff and swedish Göteburg-Style melodic Death like At the Gates to modern Hard/Metal/Deathcore-stuff like All shall Perish, Despised Icon, Terror and August Burns Red :)

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Listening to the Walking with Dinossaurs soundtrack.
One of the best soundtracks made for a documentarie.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Love Not Given Lightly
Embryo

Postby Love Not Given Lightly » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:57 pm

Psyched for Channel Orange by Frank Ocean.
There are no stupid ideas, only stupid executions.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Re-listening to Goo by Sonic Youth. DIRTEH BOOTS.
Voluntary Illusion.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”