[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby bigbadtyrant » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Well then i guess tht smakes me a true man. :cool:

And on the subject relistening to Nightwish, i don't know how long it could have been since you last listened to them but they recently released a new album called "Imaginaerum". In my opinion it is just simply amazing and is probably my new favorite from them. And there is even a music video for the song "Storytime" from that album as well.
From the shadows i come!!!

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Asami Sato » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:08 pm

My last album was Dark Passion Play, and I haven't listened to it since about a year after it did came out. I think it was epic, although my favorite will always be Once. :toothy:
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"
"Zuzu! You don't look so good!"
"I support the shipping of TDSA and Aiko Heiwa." - Defectron

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby bigbadtyrant » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:17 pm

View Original PostAsami Sato wrote:My last album was Dark Passion Play, and I haven't listened to it since about a year after it did came out. I think it was epic, although my favorite will always be Once. :toothy:

Once was a pretty epic album but just my honest opinion thats when i started to lose favor of their old singer Tarja. but after listeneing to Imaginaerum I now really like Anette their current singer a lot more just because it feels like Tuomas was able to match her voice with the style of music he used and she makes the music sound brighter this time around ( while letting Marco sing a lot more as well which is great). Just the way Tuomas was able to create the setting throught the whole thing is just awesome. :smirk:

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Asami Sato » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:51 pm

View Original Postbigbadtyrant wrote:Once was a pretty epic album but just my honest opinion thats when i started to lose favor of their old singer Tarja.
I love Tarja Turunnen's voice: I miss it and really wish she and Tuomas would grow up and at least perform together once in a while.

but after listeneing to Imaginaerum I now really like Anette their current singer a lot more just because it feels like Tuomas was able to match her voice with the style of music he used and she makes the music sound brighter this time around ( while letting Marco sing a lot more as well which is great). Just the way Tuomas was able to create the setting throught the whole thing is just awesome. :smirk:

I've always liked Anette. Her voice is very pretty.

I'll go get Imaginaerum, as you're not the only one who's recommended it to me. :smirk:
Avatar: Princess Azula, the sociopathic badass sexy bitch that will kill you by just glaring at your face.
When I get a boyfriend: "Together, we will be the strongest couple in the world! We will DOMINATE THE EARTH!"

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby bigbadtyrant » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:49 pm

View Original PostAsami Sato wrote:I'll go get Imaginaerum, as you're not the only one who's recommended it to me. :smirk:

Alrighty, I'm sure you will like it haha. :tongue:

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:03 am

I got Nightwish's Oceanborn and Century Child in 2009, both good albums. Have thought of getting Once this year, but put it off for some other albums.
Voluntary Illusion.

Asami Sato
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Asami Sato » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:07 am

My second favorite Nightwish album is Wishmaster, which has my favorite song of this group.

ianfreddie07
Embryo

Postby ianfreddie07 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:58 am

Crispy bacon.

"But you didn't have to cut me off!" - Tree

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:57 am

Clicked hoping for Parappa The Rapper, was disappointed.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:02 pm

So, the new Fiona Apple album is good... Really good. Probably my AOTY so far. No wonder why she took so long.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

I give credit where credit is due in pop music, but I have no idea what's so special with that "Call Me Maybe" song. I just heard it for the first time last night and it's really kind of bland. I don't think you'll ever hear me saying this again, but I think I'd rather be listening to Taylor Swift. Even though I really couldn't care much less for her music, at least it has some sort of emotion and risk in it.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:42 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:I give credit where credit is due in pop music, but I have no idea what's so special with that "Call Me Maybe" song. I just heard it for the first time last night and it's really kind of bland.

Hey, I just met you,
and this is crazy,
but here's my number,
so call me, maybe?

Illusion of "living the cool How I Met Your Mother life", I presume.

Also And So I Watch You From Afar is coming to Beijing this August right when I'm there!

Also, say what you want about Eureka Seven AO, but the soundtrack is pretty cool:
http://youtu.be/nRsUj-9eLPE

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 pm

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:08 pm

thanks for reminding I should do that too.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:58 am

Glenn Branca's stuff is awesome.

On a somewhat related note, Swans' live album We Rose From Our Beds With the Sun In Our Heads isn't bad. I've had it now for several weeks, but I couldn't really figure out what to say about it until this morning. It's lacking a lot of the punch that made their last live album bloody incredible, but given that Gira's in his fifties now, I guess that can't be helped. One reviewer remarked that he sounded tired, and I agree with that--at least for "No Words/No Thoughts" (which sounds downright tranquilized compared to the album cut, though part of that may be due to the higher pitch) and, to a lesser extent, "Jim". Both "Jim" and "No Words/No Thoughts" are performed at faster tempos than their studio counterparts, which adds a particular energy that the studio lacks, but also removes a sense of looming ferociousness that Gira's usually able to generate with slow or moderate paces. If I compare them to their studio versions, I find myself disappointed in that regard. However, as live takes, they have their own flavor that is only accentuated by some of the improvisational work. The guitar work especially has some pretty interesting pieces going on.

If Gira sounds a little tired on the first two tracks, his presence is back pretty near full-strength for the old "Beautiful Child", however, this time with a reworked opening four minutes that make a heck of a drive into the infancidal death-march. It remains pretty strong throughout the rest of the performances, but it's still hard to shake that somewhat weak-sounding opening cut.

The tracks culled from the upcoming album sound very promising; "The Apostate" and "The Seer" sound like they'll be cornerstones of the double-album, but given that Gira promised some two more full hours of music with Swans' next installment, it's hard to say. Plus, seeing as how much I've come to love the pulsing, rhythmic time of "The Apostate" (aided by Gira's signature cathartic yelling and "Blind Love"-esque wailing), I really can't wait to hear what he does with it in the studio. I'm curious as to what the lyrics are referring to, as well. Something about ladders to god, I think...

Aside from that stellar bit, the album's only other real highlight seems to be a nearly twelve-minute long cacophonous take on "Eden Prison", which the group performs spectacularly.

Overall, the live album is littered with guitar feedback and droning, speaker-destroying noise, and various acoustic accoutrements that make it come across as an interesting blend of Children of God-era material mixing with The Body Lovers and some of the noisier aspects of his work with the Angels of Light project, but somehow more developed and, as pretentious as it probably sounds, more nuanced that these comparisons suggest. Unfortunately, the nuances seem few and far between, as the intro and build-up for "No Words/No Thoughts" opening cut don't deliver these developments any better than the studio did in 2010. The instrumentation on "Jim" comes closer to this, but I really think "The Seer" and the second half of the first disc embody it more.

Somehow, it feels incomplete. It's probably because it wasn't initially intended for wide release, and as a result, is more or less just a collection of favorites taken from shows over the last two years. And it doesn't help that it was released not too long after an announcement that Swans has another fairly large album due out at the end of summer, either. Between that news and this installation's inclusion of new material, it's hard to listen to this album without either comparing it to "Old Swans", his last album, or the anticipation of what's to come. It simply doesn't stand on its own, because the tracks seem to sound their best when they're held in that context.

I like it a lot, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hadn't already at least listened to My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope to the Sky--itself an album that wouldn't be first on my list of things to introduce someone to Swans with. But for fans... well, actually, fans of Swans probably already have their hands on it.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:11 am

Oh fuck, I don't wanna go to Silent Hill again

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 am

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:05 am

Wu-Tang Clan. Wu-Tang again and again. It still never ceases to amaze me that a hip hop group could have nine members and every last one of those guys could rap way better than 95% of all rappers, period. My favorites? Obviously RZA overall, since he made the beats as well, including the greatest hip hop beat of all time, but Ghostface, GZA and Inspectah Deck in terms of rapping alone.

But I'm pretty much the only one here who listens to hip hop, aren't I? So yeah...

so alone...

so... alone...
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:20 am

My favorite rap album is a tie between Nas's Illmatic and Wu-Tang Clan's 36 Chambers, but I don't really listen to much rap.
:|

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”