[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:27 am

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

MY BASS! BO

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:58 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:and nobody gives a shit about bass.

Say what you will, the bass provides both the backbone of the rythym and more depth to the sound. You may not notice when it's there, but you will perceive its absence.

Also, people do give a sh*t if you play it right.

But as for Shinji's chosen instrument, where the Bass is concerned, I agree that the Cello is better. Not because of what the Cello may signify, but that Shinji is always shown to be something of a minimalist and spartan when it comes to his belongings, a tie-in to his wish to influence the world as little as possible.

Lunging around an instrument the same size as he is would sort of undermine that.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 pm

If nobody gave a shit about bass, then nobody would like Primus.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Nobody gives a shit about bass... until they hear Motown.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:48 am

I love the bass as an instrument.
Curtis Mayfield is awesome.

I constantly use it as a benchmark to measure "music enthusiasts".

E.g.:
"I just love the bassline in that song."
"What, you mean the guitar part?"

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQjxHi0_3M
Can't get this song out of my head.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:44 pm

I just bought an album of Japanese flute music. Perfect for my meditation.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Kenshin Sephiroth
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Kenshin Sephiroth » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:20 am

From the album of the year:

CunninLynguists - Stars Shine Brightest (In The Darkest Of Night)

Lyrics in the description. :boingy: :heart: LOVE CunninLynguists.
"Sentient ice cream."

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 am

After discovering it a few months ago, I have listened to Southern All Stars' Tsunami tirelessly. Kuwata is a damn genius.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:25 pm

The Menu Theme for Battlefield: 2142 is a fantastic listen. At first, you will find it a little boring, but if you go far enough, you start to realize that it's atmosphere is very... interesting. I cannot describe it.

Also Andrei's Theme - Armand Amar is a very beautiful track. Please, take the time to listen to it. That is also the DL for it, if you want it.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Those Norwegians will find a way... B)

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:27 am

I Love This Song, but it doesn't love me back (yet). Scary how those Norwegians imitated Americana so well...
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:33 am

Alright, it's that time again.

The Bloodhound Gang - Show Us Your Hits (Well, it is full of catchy stuff...and it pretty much gets all that's worth hearing from Hefty Fine.)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle Vol.1 (Dusted one off I haven't heard in a while. Still a damned good collection.)
Incubus - If Not Now, When? (Another good one, not a surprise really.)
Kittie - Spit (Another something dug out from the archives. Is it bad if I find Morgan's "growl-voice" sexy and/or arousing?)
KMFDM - WTF!? (You heard any of their albums since Attak? Then you've heard this one. Still pretty good, though.)
Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising (I always did like its dark, spooky, highway-somewhere-in-Middle-America-at-night vibe.)

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:If nobody gave a shit about bass, then nobody would like Primus.

A-frickin'-men to that.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

I took it upon myself to write some shitty reviews of albums released this year, in celebration of the coming of Fall or something like that. Read if you want, ignore if you want, it's all gravy baby.

Lady Gaga - Born This Way: Mainstream pop music really didn't need one of its only remaining artists reliable to bring songs that are at once a guilty pleasure, unabashedly lightheaded and quality becoming so pretentious and bombastic. Her attempts at LGBT rights activism seem trite and self-glorifying to me, and when she goes for that high-minded "arena rock minus the rock" thing it just seems like the same singer who was at her best when she was singing about disco sticks and "bluffin' with her muffin" is biting off more than she can chew. But above all, her attempt to become a more serious artist actually inverts what was previously her most vital quality as a songwriter and performer: taking a niche of pop music usually reserved for the most banal of artistic consciousnesses (*cough*Fergie*cough) and somehow making it self-aware and bubbling with (if more than a little repressed) intelligence. On this album it seems like she's filling up a more pretentiously "sophisticated" premise with less substance, more intent on wowing the unconvinced than artistic expression for its own sake.

Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus: For those of you who aren't in the know, on this album one of death metal's earliest, most celebrated and most consistently aggressive bands took on a glammy electro-rock influence. This led to an uproar from fans who considered those new influences cheesy and also protested the lyrics (the song titles, like "Radikult" and "Too Extreme!", are a good indication of what to expect from them), comparing them to Limp Bizkit (which is sort of the metal community's equivalent to Godwin's Law). I initially despised the album as well, until I had a friend who's also a die-hard metalhead give it a listen. I chuckled as the song started, and he looked at me the same way a missionary might look at you upon admitting that you wipe your butt with pages ripped out of the good book. When he was done listening to the song he told me "I like it... it's catchy." And somehow that insight resonated with me; it didn't change my opinion of the album much, but it did shed a new, less pessimistic light on it. What remains of MA's signature death metal is still pretty solid, if disappointingly streamlined, and the pop-industrial pastiches are fairly well-integrated, albeit still cheesy. I would've expected a band as dark and heavy as MA to plum the depths of eardrum-piercing underground industrial if dabbling in the genre at all, rather than going for synths that Manson or Rob Zombie would've declared too cheesy to use in the 90's. But it is catchy, and decently put together for what it is. Thus, I can totally understand why someone would like the album and respect them for it. But I'd rather go back to headbanging to Altars of Madness.

Suicide Silence - The Black Crown: Again, for those who don't know, Suicide Silence are basically the patron saints of deathcore. Deathcore is, in a nutshell, death metal mixed with slow, crushing breakdowns derived from hardcore punk music. Deathcore has undergone a backlash similar to that of nu metal bands like Limp Bizkit in the late 90's, and thus many practitioners of the genre have transitioned to a pure death metal (or pure hardcore) sound with recent releases. Job for a Cowboy, Bring Me the Horizon, The Faceless and Annotations of an Autopsy are among deathcore's many apostates. But it would be unthinkable for Suicide Silence, a band whose style is so par for the course for deathcore that they've become the poster boys of it for that reason, to completely abandon the genre. And on this album they don't... they just gut it of its more interesting traits. The trudging, blastbeat-led death riffing of old has mostly been jettisoned in favor of grooves ambiguous enough to slip their way into a proverbial Pantera, Slayer or Cannibal Corpse song with equal ease (the most notable exception to that being "Smashed", an unexpected detour into scorching old school death metal featuring guest vocals from Frank Mullen of the legendary DM act Suffocation). And instead of singing about disfiguring a sorority slut's face for the lulz as they did on their debut, The Cleansing, or waxing philosophical, as they did on No Time to Bleed, their sophomore album, here the lyrics alternate between unbelievably corny "positive" lyrics (one song counsels "you only live once, so just go fucking nuts") and a level of sophomoric angst utterly untouched by any major nu metal band of the days of yore. It all amounts to what is clearly a calculated effort to subdue the anxious expectations of the band's pre-established fan base while reeling in new ones at the same time. Problem is, instead of zeroing in on a certain point of appeal that could help them achieve that, the band here has merely gone for vanilla ambiguity; I suppose the line of thinking goes that there's less chance of disappointing if you don't do much to begin with. Oh sure, there are a couple sonic experiments manifest by way of guest appearances, but only one - Frank Mullen's aforementioned cameo - works very well: on "Witness the Addiction", the potential of a guest appearance from Korn's Jonathan Davis is wasted on an unspeakably bland Breaking Benjamin-esque hook, and the accenting female vocals on "Cross-Eyed Catastrophe" just feel eerily disembodied, not doing much to mesh with the crunching guitar riffs at all. Suicide Silence will probably succeed in attracting new fans, many probably from the nu metal camp, but as for me, someone who really liked them before for their surprisingly catchy and original blasts of sonic carnage and spite, I am disappoint.
Last edited by Born of Lilith on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 10 times in total.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:52 pm

http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/smile-sessions-box-set-art-revealed
GLORIOUS

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:39 pm

^that took them more than long enough
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: MY BASS! BO

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:34 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Say what you will, the bass provides both the backbone of the rythym and more depth to the sound. You may not notice when it's there, but you will perceive its absence.

A million times this.

Speaking of bass, I was relistening to the White Album the other day, and listened pretty closely to the bass in Helter Skelter. I'd never really paid too much attention to it before, but when I really listened to it, I realized that it really made the song.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:11 am

Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions:

megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért

It was never true that Sunn O))) sounded like a refrigerator, but this album proves that it was never even much of a joke. The first time I listened to this was probably the most remarkable sonic experience of my life. Everything on it just comes together so perfectly: the crushing guitar, the choir, Attila Csihar's terrifying Ungrish, and the orchestral stuff on "Alice". There's more than a few nods to 2001 here, so I suppose it's appropriate that the sixteen-minute closer sounds like Ligeti's Requiem if it were drowned in an amplifier and god's own trombone ensemble. Pretty much the only thing that's lacking is Csihar's throat-singing, which was certainly considered at some point - the Agharti live album, which I would also recommend the hell out of, features like fifteen minutes straight of Csihar just doing completely crazy shit with his voice, throat-singing and sustained death growl and creepy whines through his nose and this fucked up barking sound, all of it following out of a version of one of the M&D tracks. Unfortunately it's absent from the album. I suppose they're better live anyway...
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:59 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért

This linguistic contraption is about the last word i expected to turn up in a post on an English speaking forum.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:48 pm

what is that, Esperanto?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:59 pm

If you like feeling majestic, epic and so on, Sprint Music - Path Of A Warrior is the perfect song for just that.
The Moats of Quotes

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”