[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Wait we have a thread for Grand music and now a thread for Glorious music too? How's one to tell the difference?

My point is it'd be silly to have a thread for war music, one for ballet music, another for opera, another for rock, one for rap, one for jpop... etc etc etc.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:35 pm

You have a good point there.

Its just that I would like to keep it separate from so called 'mainstream' because it
a) Has a tendency to be controversial and I do not wish to mix it all up as such with others.
b) The origin of the music and its delivery is very, very specific.
c) I have this feeling people do not wish to have the Grand thread mashed up by my droning about war music. This is I think the one space where I can freely express myself without incurring the wrath of others.

In the end I will leave it up to the admin mod chaps. If they insist, fine, I will post it on the Grand thread. If not, I shall just drone on about it here.
I feel old

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:46 pm

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:Oh yes sorry. Misinterpreted what you said.
So cello in this case would signify his wandering nature (as a person)?

Doubtful. All I'm saying is the reason Shinji's playing the cello is because his personality fits more with a cello than the other 3 common stringed instruments. I'm not saying it signifies anything, nor symbolizes anything. The choice of the piece probably also plays into it, I just can't see Shinji playing a Paganini caprice on a violin during that episode.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Shinji playing Paganini would have been interesting, and make a humorous surprise.

It still nags me though. Why the cello?
I feel old

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Because violin is for attention whores, viola is for losers, and nobody gives a shit about bass.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:01 pm

I also dare say cello is the most melancholic of those. Although this might be biased since I have played cello myself.

EDIT: Okay, maybe a tie with viola.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:19 am

Azaroth, are you saying I am a whore?

(It seems people really do not appreciate good old marching music- foam at mouth)
I feel old

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:22 am

No, Azathoth is trying to say that you are an attention whore.

---

Does anyone here know Mahmoud Awad?
He`s some kind of oil(?) sheik who does trippy electronic music(don`t really know the genre) fused with arab folk music elements.
Too Fast For Time is, in my opinion, one of the best albums of all time.

Look him up on youtube, he`s seriously awesome.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:45 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Does anyone here know Mahmoud Awad?
He`s some kind of oil(?) sheik who does trippy electronic music(don`t really know the genre) fused with arab folk music elements.
Too Fast For Time is, in my opinion, one of the best albums of all time.

Sheikh to the Future is better. Both albums are seriously completely fantastic, though. I think it started out as a /mu/ joke project but...yeah it's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin

Mahmound Awad is an Arabic electropop artist from the future who has come to destroy the senses and ensnare the souls of those not worthy of his greatness. He came from planet Zordon where the Islam religion has reigned supreme for over 9000 millenniums. He brought with him the sounds of his native planet, both in nudity and aurality. Perhaps we will someday find out how this artist was able to send his album back in time.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:50 am

^What the fuck am I listening to

no seriously

oil sheiks with too much free time should do this instead of building ridiculous buildings more often

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:00 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Sheikh to the Future is better. Both albums are seriously completely fantastic, though. I think it started out as a /mu/ joke project but...yeah it's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin

It`s a /mu/ joke project?
Damn.
I got to know Mahmoud Awad through /mu/.
:lol:
I think I`ve got trolled, in a good way, at least.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 am

been listening to more jazz lately, mostly trio/soloist stuff like Bill Evans, and got the Cowboy Bebop Box set on my iphone now. also found Rilo Kiley a few weeks ago when i started watching Weeds, i'm starting to lean more towards female vocalists for indie groups because most of the bands with male vocalists i've heard are usually nasally/generally unpleasant.

on piano, i've been arranging/working on Bakemonogatari's OP and ED, AnoHana's ED, Dancing Queen, Cohen's Masterpiece, and Kyle Landry's arrangement of Passion, as well as stepping into improvisation. it's not too hard to come up with something tonal and just basic triads, so i've been looking towards adding sevenths and playing through changes, which is the hardest mental exercise i've done this summer. i also printed sheets for Fantasie Impromptu today, i want to see how far i get before i realize it's too much for my meager fingers :lol:
i want rebuild

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm

I will never forgive Lizzy for inflicting THIS on me! Salad of Doom!? How can this be an actual song!? Furthermore, why do I like it so much!?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Kenshin Sephiroth
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Kenshin Sephiroth » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OST - Shira Nai Machi He Guitar Hen

Although I think it sounds a little TOO similar to the theme from Deer Hunter, this is still a really evocative and calming song; hell, all the Zetsubou OSTs are true chillout treats (except when they're not).

Also, Snowgoons - All In Your Mind (Savage Brothers, Lord Lhus, Viro the Virus) is one of the best epistemologically-themed hip-hop songs of all time (as opposed to the dreadful epistemologically-themed MAINSTREAM hip-hop songs, ugh). Just contemplate those lyrics!
"Sentient ice cream."

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby BornIn1142 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:48 am

I just recently heard the opening of the original Thundercats cartoon for the first time.

Good gods, that's awesome.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:23 am

Iamamiwhoami seems a lot better live than I would have imaged her/them/it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT2T0QrGmII

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 am

The Cossack's Song is amazing. For those who like charging into the heat of battle in whatever the hell you do, this is the song to do it to.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh: It's like I'm really listening to the Utena OST. This was actually very enjoyable for European prog rock, which I don't often like.

Burzum - Hliðskjálf: I still don't really have a taste for Dauði Baldrs, but I think I might be starting to like this one. It's evening music, maybe even night music - far more so than most Burzum stuff, and Hvis lyset tar oss and Filosofem are already about as evening music as it gets. Making an album with his accustomed instrumentation and production (anti-production?) shenanigans in an enforced absence, Varg created something distilled, far darker and colder and in a sense more black metal than anything from the first four albums. Still, I think it would sound better with him howling and droning the same riff on to eternity over top of it. "Der Tod Wuotans" is a really pretty song, though.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I think I've worked out why I like the White Stripes. I think it's because of the whole "mediocre band" sound that they have going on. Running guitars through a fuzzbox to disguise technical mistakes, recording the vocals in lo-fi to disguise the singer's inability to hold a tune, it's all there.

Although, don't take it as me putting Jack White down, because he's a really good guitarist, well on his way to becoming a living legend. I'm just saying that all the ingredients for a mediocre band are there. They manage to surpass mediocrity.

Maybe the sound of mediocrity just appeals to my sense of self-mediocrity.

Speaking of mediocre bands, I discovered a band in the 99 cent clearance bin at a used book/music store the other day, which I really enjoy listening to, despite their somewhat mediocre performance. The band I refer to is the San Francisco group Cato Salsa Experience, which sounds like the typical garage band the 1960s spewed forth.

Sample track (warning, it's really loud, so you might want to turn down the speakers a bit)
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 pm

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/music/1966
My body is ready.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”