[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu May 05, 2011 2:03 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I never did care much for Mayhem, Darkthrone, or Burzum much. Most of those old, classic black metal bands kinda get on my nerves.

Burzum is not really "classic" black metal (in fact all three of those bands are to some extent from the 90s wave of black metal) - and at times not really much like black metal either. Large parts of Hvis lyset tar oss and Filosofem are ambient, and many of the songs which aren't remind me more of My Bloody Valentine than Bathory.

But I do agree that the vast majority of black metal was shit, even more so in the first wave than in the second. So's the vast majority of everything. Even Burzum is about two good albums, two albums which are about halfway good, and three or four which are crap. That's to be expected in a genre which revolves around utter madness, nihilism, brutality, and other such cheerful things. The quality of the music corresponds inversely to the security of Varg's sanity, which may be which Burzum has mostly musically irrelevant and not particularly good since 1996.

Darkthrone aren't remotely black metal anymore (and Fenriz was always far more interesting for his thoughts on the black metal scene than for his contributions to it) and Mayhem were shit for literally a whole decade before Ordo ad Chao...these days traditional black metal is kind of dead, it's all in the Viking stuff these days. (Not to malign Viking metal and the like, because Ensiferum, Turisas, Tyr, Moonsorrow and probably a lot of other groups I'm forgetting are enjoyable as hell - but black it isn't).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu May 05, 2011 8:26 pm

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:I've heard Opeth a few times, it's a good band but I don't listen to it frequently. I'm not into those Prog Death(or whatever you call it) things. Looks like we're opposites, haha, I'm really into Burzum and Mayhem, for example.
Opeth are certainly more prog than death, but I like prog rock/metal in general (well, at least the better bands). I don't think Opeth would be considered death metal at all without the distorted vocals. As for those other BM bands, can we at least agree Immortal pwns?

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Burzum is not really "classic" black metal (in fact all three of those bands are to some extent from the 90s wave of black metal) - and at times not really much like black metal either. Large parts of Hvis lyset tar oss and Filosofem are ambient, and many of the songs which aren't remind me more of My Bloody Valentine than Bathory.
TBH, I kinda consider Venom, Celtic Frost, et al. a more "proto black metal" because even if they were the roots of the genre they're also significantly different than, especially, the Norwegian bands that followed in their wake. Maybe Bathory would be the first full-on BM band. I agree with most of what else you said. Like I said, the only BM bands I've really loved are Emperor, Weakling, and Immortal, and just bits and pieces outside that. Borknagar are pretty good too.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm

"As for those other BM bands, can we at least agree Immortal pwns? "

No, we can't.

...WE MUST.

Although I don't like the vocals on the first albums... the instrumental still rules.
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Josef Stalin

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:22 pm

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:...WE MUST.
:guitarpunk: :headbang:

I agree about the vocals on the early albums but, damn, it's hard to deny the intensity of Pure Holocaust and Battles in the North. At the Heart of Winter is actually my favorite because I think that's where they found the perfect balance of epic riffs, overall technical proficiency, memorable songs, decent (but not slick) production, decent vocals, all while utilizing longer song lengths and more intricate structures without losing any of the intensity and aggression. Ok, I guess it's not quite as blindingly ferocious as Pure Holocaust, but I think the strengths make up for it. What do you think of All Shall Fall? The more I listen to it, the more I dig it. They've definitely taken on more influences of thrash, but I don't think that's really a negative thing. They're still churning out perhaps the best riffs of any metal band out there.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm

Dude... WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I'm listening to ASF right now! I'm already at "Mount North" and haven't seen A SINGLE BAD TRACK! Really awesome album. Haven't listened to At the Heart of Winter yet, is it good? I've listened to only three albums: Pure Holocaust, ASF and Battles in the North.

And... why should taking inspiration from Thrash be bad? o.o
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Josef Stalin

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:52 pm

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:Dude... WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I'm listening to ASF right now! I'm already at "Mount North" and haven't seen A SINGLE BAD TRACK! Really awesome album. Haven't listened to At the Heart of Winter yet, is it good? I've listened to only three albums: Pure Holocaust, ASF and Battles in the North.
At the Heart of Winter is far and away my favorite from them. Pick it up ASAP. Just check out Withstand the Fall of Time as a sampling. The riffs on that song are enough to cut your head off, stick it on a pike, and trample your corpse with a herd of rabid elephants.

Really, I think all of Immortal's discography is pretty essential. They haven't released a single bad album (OK, Blizzard Beasts was thoroughly mediocre). If I had to rate them it would probably be:

1. At the Heart of Winter
2. Pure Holocaust
3. Sons of Northern Darkness
4. All Shall Fall
5. Battles in the North
6. Damned in Black
7. Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
8. Blizzard Beasts

Of that list, I think Heart of Winter is easily my favorite, but that 2-6 are all really, really close in quality. Which I preferred would probably depend on my mood.

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:And... why should taking inspiration from Thrash be bad? o.o
Some hardcore black metal fans are incredibly picky about what they label as black metal. A lot of disgruntled fans were labeling All Shall Fall as thrash rather than black metal. Considering I love thrash I wasn't complaining.

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Gonna listen to it then. =]

About those picky trve black metal fans... Why do you even listen to what they say? 90% of the time they call everything that is not Black Metal(including Death metal... ._.) shit...

Really, I don't understand why is Thrash considered "wimp" by some. It is very aggressive and sometimes DOES HAVE the gutural. What else do they want?

Also, talking about Thrash, which is your fav Thrash band? Mine is Testament nowadays(I liked them a bit last year, but nothing special. Now I'm relistening and I'm loving =P). Followed by Cavalera Conspiracy.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 06, 2011 8:24 pm

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:About those picky trve black metal fans... Why do you even listen to what they say?
I don't, I just wasn't sure if you were one of them. ;)

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:Also, talking about Thrash, which is your fav Thrash band? Mine is Testament nowadays(I liked them a bit last year, but nothing special. Now I'm relistening and I'm loving =P). Followed by Cavalera Conspiracy.
We're so in synch it's scary... Testament is probably my favorite as well. I'll argue to the death that Alex Skolnick is the best guitarist to come out of the movement, and I think Testament's overall discography is as strong as all of the other major bands. I also think it's amazing that the same band that released The Legacy and New World Order could release Demonic, Low and the Gathering (granted, with a lot of new members, but the latter two are still great metal albums). I've always gone a bit more for the German and Canadian thrash bands: Kreator, Annihilator, Destruction, Voivod, Sodom, etc. Slayer's a bit meh for me, so is Anthrax outside of Persistence of Time, I love the guitar proficiency in Megadeth but never cared much for their songwriting, and I got burned out on Metallica pretty early.

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Haha, German Thrash Metal scene rules!

While I really like the bands you said(Except Voivod, never listened to them... Also I need to listen to Kreator again, I don't even remember the last time I did), I love Megadeth and Metallica as well.

Not listening so much of Megadeth recently, but I was addicted to it in the beginning, so I respect them a lot. But Metallica... Listen at least two albums a day. No kidding.(Except The Black Album, Load, Reload and St Anger... although I listen to them when I want something different - yes, I like St Anger depending on my mood D=). James' voice and guitar playing are so awesome. The three bassists are monsters. Got nothing against Lars but don't love him either. And Kirk, even if most people hate his Wah-Wah, I like it a lot.

But yeah, like you, I think Slayer and Anthrax are meh. Except a few songs, of course.

And... I won't talk much about Testament, I'm afraid I'm gonna say something idiot, because while I like it, I need to listen more yet. XD Only listened to "New World Order", "Practice what you preach" and "The Gathering". I'm one lazy bastard, need to search for more.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri May 06, 2011 9:12 pm

I've started downloading video game music, gonna see if I can find some of my favourite soundtracks, if I can remember them...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 07, 2011 1:12 pm

A new rant: [url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/rebecca-blacks-friday-is-just-as-good-as-anything-on-the-radio/[/url]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:While I really like the bands you said(Except Voivod, never listened to them... Also I need to listen to Kreator again, I don't even remember the last time I did),
Dimension Hatross and Nothingface from Voivod are essential... there was really little else like them in the late 80s. They were really the bridge between thrash and the more technical/progressive tendencies of bands like Meshuggah and Mastodon. They may be a bit too prog for you, I'm not sure, but I think they're awesome. I'd recommend Terrible Certainty, Extreme Aggression, and Coma of Souls from Kreator. IMO Kreator is the best pure thrash band still going. Their recent material (Enemy of God, Hordes of Chaos) are as good as their classic material and they sound (to me) much more vital than the recent efforts by the other major 80s thrash bands. If you haven't heard Annihilator, get this.

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:Not listening so much of Megadeth recently, but I was addicted to it in the beginning, so I respect them a lot. But Metallica... Listen at least two albums a day.
Well, Metallica were my entrance into thrash and the more extreme forms of metal in general, but I simply got burnt out on them after a while. I really dig Rust in Peace by Deth, but outside that I've never been as thrilled. Superb musicianship, though.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat May 07, 2011 9:03 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:A new rant: [url]http://awesomelyshitty.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/rebecca-blacks-friday-is-just-as-good-as-anything-on-the-radio/[/url]
Awesome.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:09 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Awesome.
and shitty :bigguns:

nice shout-out to Jamiroquai in there too, despite the stupid hat, they made one of the most underrated music videos EVAR btw

unlike some people on the intrawebz, I never thought that "Friday" was the worst song ever since far too many songs in this Age of Auto-Tune sound just as bad and arguably worse

and people like Ke-dollar sign-ha is infinitely worse IMO because of the f***ing atrocious image and brazen talentlessness she displays without blinking, yet between her and Gaga, they comprise "this generation's sound", which just makes me hate most people my age all the MOAR and is just one of many reasons why I cannot go near a college campus or most any gathering of said demographic without wanting to give these raving and drooling s-h-e-e-p-l-e five across the eyes, what with their buying into some supposed Lion (or should I say lying? LOL) King's BS teleprompter edicts, practically jacking off on weapons of mass distraction like Twitter or BookFace like they're all sex addicts and BookFace and other "social networking" enterprises are like sex toys, consume Apple products and other "trendy/hipster" idiocy like there was no tomorrow, makes me think of that old song "Sheep":
Roger Waters wrote:What you do get for pretending the danger's not real?

Meek and obedient, you follow the leader down well-trodden corridors into the valley of steel.
/rant
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Nope, I saw Annihilator on your list. I've already listened to 'em(a long time ago, however). Great band, Jeff Waters owns. There are some meh albums though.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun May 08, 2011 5:51 pm

Everyday Normal Guy - Jon Lajoie

Sums up Shinji.. mostly.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun May 08, 2011 5:58 pm

^ That was pretty funny. :thumbsup:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Theshiggityshwa
Embryo

Postby Theshiggityshwa » Sun May 08, 2011 8:43 pm

Every metal head should know who Brocas Helm is. They're really underrated...
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO2poJAaE_I[/url]
Pursue happiness...
With Diligence...

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Sun May 08, 2011 9:19 pm

SAVE THE WORLD, YOU FOOL, YOU CHILD!
YOU CAN'T EVER SAVE THE WORLD, YOU FOOL, YOU CHILD!
YOU CAN'T EVER EVER CELEBRATE!
YOU BETTER CHANGE!

The third Devin Townsend Project album, Deconstruction, has leaked, and you best believe I'm going to be buying it, now that I've listened to it. God damn. It's like the insane bastard child of Strapping Young Lad and Ziltoid (and holy shit Ziltoid totally shows up and I am given hope for Z^2). Heavy as FUCKKKKKK. Best thing Devin's done in years (since Alien imo). Really really pumped and so ready for chilling out with Ghost.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:The third Devin Townsend Project album, Deconstruction, has leaked, and you best believe I'm going to be buying it, now that I've listened to it. God damn. It's like the insane bastard child of Strapping Young Lad and Ziltoid (and holy shit Ziltoid totally shows up and I am given hope for Z^2). Heavy as FUCKKKKKK. Best thing Devin's done in years (since Alien imo). Really really pumped and so ready for chilling out with Ghost.
The guest credits on that album look fucking insane. Ihsahn, Akerfeldt, and Masvidal on different tracks? Holy shit

Preordered.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”