[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue May 03, 2011 12:15 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:What metal would you recommend then? Sepultura?
Ew. No. Never.

And although I agree that Death's last four albums are the best, give Leprosy a listen sometime. It's pretty damn good for what it is, too.

funeral_fog
Embryo

Postby funeral_fog » Tue May 03, 2011 4:38 am

Am I the only one that thinks Leprosy is boring?

Scream Bloody Gore is the superior Pre-Human Death. Individual Thought Patterns is my favourite out of all of them.
Ya gotta watch out for those Terminator Maids, y'know..

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue May 03, 2011 5:43 am

Merridian wrote:Ew. No. Never.

You don't like Sepultura? I think Chaos A.D. and Roots are pretty good though. Have not listened to any of their more recent works though.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue May 03, 2011 9:15 am

It's time for my review of Perfume's TOKYO DOME concert!

Titled "Perfume @ Tokyo Dome 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11", this is Perfume's 10th anniversary concert. It has been 10 years since they started their career under an indie label and 5 years since they signed with a major label and became insanely popular. To celebrate this sort of occasion, you need to do something epic. You need to blow the fans' minds. Tokyo Dome is fitting for that purpose: it's big (a lot bigger than Budoukan), its stage is more flexible and complicated and its capacity is over 50 000!

Dome image  SPOILER: Show
IT'S HUGE.

The concert's running time is approximately 2 hours. Compare that to the Budoukan performance's DVD cut which was 90 minutes long with almost 30 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage (meaning it had only around 60 minutes reserved for performing). Tokyo Dome has no inserts of any sorts and there are practically no breaks to the concert. I did notice at least 2 omissions from the normal cut now that I rewatched it, but they didn't bother me much.

The mandatory costume review + images  SPOILER: Show
The clothes are important again and this time there's a mixture of brilliance and failure involved.
This first set is used only for the opening part where the girls walk to the center and get rid of these ridiculous clothes before actually performing. I wonder who designed these awful costumes. Only Kashiyuka's looks good, but that's because Kashiyuka looks cute in anything. This stuff is reserved for nightmares, not Perfume concerts.

This is the "real" first set of costumes the girls wear while dancing and singing. In overall, this is almost as good as it gets. The look is very Perfume-esque (futuristic in their own way) and each member has enough individuality. And as the second photo demonstrates, the colorful bits glow in the dark. That was quite neat although used only once or twice.

More glowing costumes - they are great nevertheless. Nocchi's trademark shorts look a bit silly this time, but I'm fine with it. Kashiyuka's skirt is too adorable.

These were made for Nee's promotional material (although they did not appear in the PV) and here they are used for the encore. I didn't care for them earlier and now I can say I even dislike these costumes. While the hats are silly in a good way and I like the pattern in the shirts, they are not pleasing at all. The colors are irritating and even worse, the members' individuality is nearly absent. It's almost as if the small differences were an after thought rather than a carefully planned detail.

Even though more Perfume is usually better in my books, Tokyo Dome isn't quite strong when watched from the start to the encore. They stuffed too many songs into it - although they are very entertaining when watched separately. While reviewing the songs, I'll mention what I would have changed to make the concert a more smoothly flowing experience.

After the theatrical introduction, the opening song Secret Secret kicks into gear. I don't understand why anyone would open a Perfume concert with this very song. It's not symbolic and works only between other songs - as a filler. Furthermore, it's not exactly one of my favorites and the performance is quite mechanical here. It's so precise it's almost scary. The girls don't seem to enjoy themselves too much here - although it might be because of the pressure that they haven't got rid of yet. It's a routine performance with no glaring problems, but I would have left it out without hesitation. Opening the concert with something else would have worked better.

Fushizen na Girl begins right after Secret Secret ends. I've always felt this song was underappreciated/underused thanks to Natural ni Koishite stealing its thunder (they were released as a double A-side single). I love the PV and there's something about the choreography that is really unforgettable. The chorus is ridiculously addictive, too. The girls are still very "professional", but the performance is nevertheless more inviting - possibly only because of my preference, though. I would have used this as the first number if I couldn't have changed the structure of the concert itself.

Then it's time for the song that will redeem everything that was not right about the other two songs: GAME. When the audience sees the text "GAME" come up on the screen their reaction is ENERGETIC. Fangirls scream and fanboys wet their pants and scream. And it is worth that reaction. This is the first number to use Dome's peculiar stage to its advantage. The girls split up and perform solo in different directions (coupled with sliding platforms on top of that). On top of that, the light show is very impressive and the pacing of the song is adjusted to be more fitting for the updated choreography. The result is so glorious it's pretty much one of the highlights of the entire concert and possibly one of the best performances of their career. After this point my expectations for the concert were already fulfilled and I was ready for anything.

As the 4th song in a row (without a break) One Room Disco works surprisingly well. And it is at this point that you can see the girls really enjoy performing as they smile throughout the song. I can't tell whether it's thanks to the success of GAME or that they enjoy One Room Disco more than other songs. This song introduced me to Perfume (when I still hated it) and I'm disgusted by its PV, but when performed live I always end up liking it. The Dome performance is no exception and the girls make it truly entertaining. Naturally they couldn't top GAME anymore, but A-chan's TOKYO DOME scream and other excited shouts during One Room Disco remind me of the Perfume that I have come to know and love. This is nothing like the stone-faced opening of the concert.

Finally it's time for the first break for the girls. As One Room Disco ends, the first MC part begins - and it's a long one. It goes to show that these girls are really great performers that their ramblings never feel too long (even though it runs for many minutes). They express their joy without any hint of pretension or artificiality, this is the real thing. They assign names to different parts of the audience with confidence and provide much needed comic relief while doing that.

The next section of the concert is themed after love (rabu na kyokutachi, as A-chan calls it) - or rather it is a bunch of songs with the word "love" in the title either in English or in Japanese. Natural ni Koishite is the first one and I'm very surprised that it is possible to perform it live - given that the choreography and the PV made it so utterly complicated. But Dome gives new possibilities for Perfume and the performance is very solid - although nothing beats the PV, naturally. Next up is Love the world which, as I said in the Budoukan review, I don't particularly care for and this performance could have been cut easily. This section is too bloated to begin with and getting rid of this performance would have been beneficial. The 3rd song, on the other hand, is a refreshing surprise: I Still Love U. I had not paid much attention to it as it had not seemed to be anything special next to other album filler songs. However, this performance "enlightened" me: the different pitch of the girls' voices is addictive and in general the song is fascinating (different sort of soundscape). It was also very delightful to finally see the live choreography for the song. The only obvious omission from the normal DVD cut is notable after I Still Love U: the editor, for some reason, left the first few beats of 575 (which is included only on the limited edition) before fading to black. This omission does not upset me much, but it's a weird one.

VOICE begins right away without any break even though there was obviously one in the concert itself (costume change). This has a bad effect on the performance since the "love" section has already been quite exhausting and it feels like the performance is rushed - even though VOICE is quite entertaining when watched on its own. It is followed by Computer City which seems to be a favorite of sorts (since it pops up in pretty much every live performance). I don't have any complaints about the performance itself, but it isn't as outstanding as it could be. Due to that, I would either leave VOICE or Computer City out and give a longer break before VOICE. That would fix the pacing.

At this point it feels like the middle part of the concert is without any triumphs, but that's right when Electro World begins. The sheer energy of the performance and otherworldly sound of the song revives the concert yet again. I utterly love the choreography that was once nearly ruined for me by the awful PV. For some reason, I always think of Electro World as Nocchi's song since her voice fits best to it and she is often at the center of the dance, thus dominating the performance. The same happens at Dome too and I think it only makes the song somehow more enjoyable. EW is followed by the second MC bit where, for example, the girls talk about what Kashiyuka has eaten. It's silly, but an entertaining bit.

Perfect Star, Perfect Style is one of those songs I've never "got into". It's quite good for a while, but it's way too long. Certainly one of the weaker "easy-going" songs from Perfume. Including it in the setlist is puzzling for me and I would have left it out. Next up, a particularly impressive performance of Dream Fighter. I don't know what makes it so good this time. Nevertheless, it's a vital part of Perfume's every setlist and the Dome performance proves why it is so. After DF ends, there's an obvious edit. I don't know what has been left out, but if it was Macaroni then I'm enraged. A Perfume concert and no Macaroni makes Oz a dull boy.

Whatever was cut from the DVD release is followed by what I call the "fanservice part". Straight from their early indie times comes Jenny wa Gokiken Naname, a bubbly and "retro" song that has somehow survived in Perfume's performances to this day. I don't know why it is always chosen over other songs like Super Jet Shoes, but it's nevertheless the mandatory "nod to old fans". There's an interesting technical problem in this performance: A-chan's lift doesn't rise until far into the song and it stays up only for a moment. Luckily it doesn't affect the performance that much, but it's funny how that wasn't edited out. The next "fanservice" song still baffles me: a 5-10 second "thing" that's called Computer Driving. I have no clue where it comes (although I have no interest in finding out) and it's quite random. It's followed by the "peak" of the fanservice section: the self-titled Perfume song that mostly consists of a looped, addictive chorus. Why is it the peak? Because instead of staying on the stage, the Perfume girls are driven around the Dome and they throw signballs for the fans. (pictures below) It's probably the most entertaining and intriguing bit of fanservice I've ever seen. I wonder how much the fan fought over the signballs. :lol:

SPOILER: Show

The fanservice section is followed immediately by a lively but uninteresting Chocolate Disco - a song that will never be better live than in the PV. As the last two pre-encore songs, Puppy Love and wonder2 are a formidable pair. Both of them are great closing songs and they are magnificent again. Puppy Love's charming choreography and wonder2's calm sound are guaranteed winners in live performances. This combination also made me wonder what could they possibly have in store for us in the encore since they left both of these songs out of it. I was sure they couldn't do anything great, but I was SO wrong.

The encore: Nee + Polyrhythm. As their latest single, Nee was an obvious choice for the encore. After a teary-eyed, great final speech the girls show that Nee's brilliant dance moves can be stunning outside the PV, too. However, the biggest surprise and the best performance of the night goes to Polyrhythm. It's the song that introduced Perfume to most Japanese fans and has great symbolic value. It's most likely their most loved song only thanks to that. I had never understood why it is good as a song, but now that I have a strong emotional association to Polyrhythm, I can understand its position. This performance is filled with emotion and effort. It's the perfect celebration for Perfume's 10th anniversary. Clearly a lot of money was spent on all the impressive pyrotechnics and whatnot, but it's the dancing that really captivates me.

In the end, Tokyo Dome is not only the celebration of the past 10 years, it's also Perfume's chance to show that they will continue stronger than ever. After succeeding with this gigantic task, they focus their final speeches (and final imagery as well) on the fact that there WILL be a 11th year for Perfume and they're going to continue no matter what happens.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 am

:w00: Great Great Great :w00:

*** P E R F U M E ***

15 days left?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 03, 2011 9:38 am

Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre.

I think pre-Roots Sepultura is pretty good. Arise and Beneath the Remains are my favorites from them, but I can't forgive them for giving birth to nu-metal with Chaos AD and Roots... although they're still much better than the vast majority of nu-metal out there.

If you like Death, you should check out:

Morbid Angel (Along with Death, one of the leading pioneers of death metal. Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick, and Covenant are essential).
Obituary (Slowly We Rot, Cause of Death, The End Complete. They're Death contemporaries too. Much less refined, but heavier).
Possessed (Seven Churches is a classic)
Cancer (as is Death Shall Rise)
Entombed (Left Hand Path and Clandestine are must-haves)
Suffocation (technical mayhem; Pierced from Within is probably their best)
Carcass (fathers of grindcore, which is like a contemporary to death metal. Heartwork is a must-hear).

Black metal is significantly different from death metal in sound and style, and many metal fans love one but hate the other. I think I consistently like more death metal than black, but the best black metal bands push metal to the upper echelons of art. In the genre, Emperor lives up to its namesake. In the Nightside Eclipse, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, IX Equilibrium, and, their ultimate masterpiece, and one of the greatest albums ever, Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise are all essential. Although, my single favorite black metal album is Weakling's Dead as Dreams (One of my 5 favorite albums ever, actually). I also love Immortal, but they're a much less symphonic, atmospheric, more straight-forward brand of black metal. My favorite from them is At the Heart of Winter, but Pure Holocaust is usually considered their classic.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:15 days left?

You'll eventually find out what I'm counting days for. :lol:

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre.

:rofl: :rofl: Don't worry, I'm not THAT serious about Japanese pop. It's just a way for me to release stress and take breaks from serious film business. These two WOTs are the result of not writing about Perfume at all in the past 2 years. I've been accumulating knowledge about them for a long time and I've become more enthusiastic about the group after the year changed. I needed an outlet for this stuff. :lol:
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue May 03, 2011 10:07 am

View Original PostOz wrote:These two WOTs are the result of not writing about Perfume at all in the past 2 years.
Well, see, there's your problem. I acquire an interest and knowledge and let it leak out immediately, like opening up the blow-hole of a balloon, rather than blowing it up for years, holding it in, and then taking a pin to it.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

View Original PostOz wrote:These two WOTs are the result of not writing about Perfume at all in the past 2 years. I've been accumulating knowledge about them for a long time and I've become more enthusiastic about the group after the year changed. I needed an outlet for this stuff. :lol:

I can testify to the truthfulness of this. I knew and have loved Perfume for almost 4 years but could not match Oz's level of knowledge and depth of insight about them.

I seriously suggest Oz to start a branch of Perfume fan club in Finland and chair it as well. :w00:
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue May 03, 2011 10:59 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes

Don't start giving me ideas... :evillaugh:
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I can testify to the truthfulness of this. I knew and have loved Perfume for almost 4 years but could not match Oz's level of knowledge and depth of insight about them.

Oh God, that makes me sound so obsessed. This is the sort of thing I was afraid of before and so hid my "peculiar interest". :lol: (sort of similar to certain someone hiding a dakimakura) Oh well, I'm a goner now so I'm fine with remarks like that. Too bad I can't read Japanese yet so my knowledge is still limited. I need to study Japanese and find Japanese Perfume fans on the Internet.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I seriously suggest Oz to start a branch of Perfume fan club in Finland and chair it as well. :w00:

Who says my goals are that modest? I intend to invade Japan and become the leader of ALL Perfume fan clubs. :mwahaha:

@Bomby: :lol:

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Tue May 03, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm listening to Smetana's Ma Vlast right now and I think I've come to the realization that all Czech composers are awesome. Dussek to Janaček to Martinu and everyone in between. They all have multiple compositions that touch something deep inside me or make me think. Who is your favorite Czech composer and why?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue May 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Starting a Jazz phase right now. Bad for listening to while studying because it makes me want to (or at least attempt to) dance.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Tue May 03, 2011 6:23 pm

"What metal would you recommend then? Sepultura?"

Are you serious or are you just provoking me because Sepultura is from Brazil? No, I wouldn't recommend it. I barely listen to it, the only album I like is "Beneath the Remains".

And, just to make sure, I've got nothing against metal from Norway(I actually like it a lot), I was only making a joke(or attempting to) because my compatibility with them is low.

Also, Eva Yojimbo, I think you forgot Deicide and Kataklysm... fukken awesome [Brutal I think] Death Metal bands...

If anyone's into Black Metal, check out this Awesome Arab Black Metal band

Dunno if you guys already know it, but posting anyway. I Like it a lot
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Josef Stalin

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Tue May 03, 2011 7:44 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:I'm listening to Smetana's Ma Vlast right now and I think I've come to the realization that all Czech composers are awesome. Dussek to Janaček to Martinu and everyone in between. They all have multiple compositions that touch something deep inside me or make me think. Who is your favorite Czech composer and why?

The composers above are all great but I would still go for Dvořák. It is not just his New World Symphony (which took me a long time to know it was using Czech folk tunes instead of American folk sources), his other symphonies, particularly 7th, are also really good. And I love his choral works like Stabat Mater and Requiem too, as well as his string quartets and symphonic poems. I have yet to explore his operas but his broad repertoire is very impressive and the quality is consistently high.

Have to say Má vlast was really really great music in the vein of romantic nationalism. My favorite is always the 1990 performance by Czech Philharmonic conducted by Rafael Kubelík who came back to his home country after long years of exile. It was so choke full of hearts and emotions.

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:"What metal would you recommend then? Sepultura?"

Are you serious or are you just provoking me because Sepultura is from Brazil? No, I wouldn't recommend it. I barely listen to it, the only album I like is "Beneath the Remains".

Yeah, I asked because I wanted to see how a Brazilian metal lover thinks of the most successful metal band coming from their country...

But it seems that they are viewed with quite a lot of contempt? If you read my previous post, I mentioned that I quite like their "Chaos A.D." and "Roots" from early 90s but have not listened to any of their works after those albums.

So what metal bands would you recommend then?

Eva Yojimbo wrote:If you like Death, you should check out:

Morbid Angel (Along with Death, one of the leading pioneers of death metal. Altars of Madness, Blessed are the Sick, and Covenant are essential).
Obituary (Slowly We Rot, Cause of Death, The End Complete. They're Death contemporaries too. Much less refined, but heavier).
Possessed (Seven Churches is a classic)
Cancer (as is Death Shall Rise)
Entombed (Left Hand Path and Clandestine are must-haves)
Suffocation (technical mayhem; Pierced from Within is probably their best)
Carcass (fathers of grindcore, which is like a contemporary to death metal. Heartwork is a must-hear).

Black metal is significantly different from death metal in sound and style, and many metal fans love one but hate the other. I think I consistently like more death metal than black, but the best black metal bands push metal to the upper echelons of art. In the genre, Emperor lives up to its namesake. In the Nightside Eclipse, Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk, IX Equilibrium, and, their ultimate masterpiece, and one of the greatest albums ever, Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise are all essential. Although, my single favorite black metal album is Weakling's Dead as Dreams (One of my 5 favorite albums ever, actually). I also love Immortal, but they're a much less symphonic, atmospheric, more straight-forward brand of black metal. My favorite from them is At the Heart of Winter, but Pure Holocaust is usually considered their classic.

Great info about the death metal. I have albums from Morbid Angel and Obituary and have listened to Carcass, Suffocation and Possessed. Entombed I take it more like the Scandinavian black metal... I have all the albums listed above from Emperor and Prometheus is just amazingly awesome. Other Scandinavian black/death metal bands I like include Opeth, Meshuggah, Therion, Tiamet, Mayhem, Darkthrone and Burzum.
Recently I find myself listening to Opeth most....

Speaking of metal, I also love doom metal like the Gathering, Boris, Isis, Cathedral and Candlemass.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Tue May 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Oh, okay then, sorry if I misunderstood. I thought you were provoking, my bad, really.

Well, I don't really like their recent works... Max and Iggor(Along with Kisser) were the soul of Sepultura for me. But you know, there are people who like, I'm simply not one of these guys. But if you like their first albuns, I recommend listening to "Cavalera's Conspiracy", a band formed by Iggor and Max after they left Sepultura.

Which bands I recommend?

Well...

Sabaton
Burzum
Deicide
Cannibal Corpse
Vader
Dark Angel
Opeth
Alcest
Hate
Walls of Jericho(album) by Helloween
Kataklysm
Korzus
Nargaroth
Neglected Fields
Pestilence
Sacred Reich
Sodom
Metallica's 4 first albuns(you've probably already listened but... listen again!!)
Testament
Exodus
Overkill
Venom

These are the Extreme Metals I listen the most(with the exception of Sabaton and Helloween, which are Power/Speed)

But I think you've listened to most of these, haha. I'm not the most trve listener, heh
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Josef Stalin

Sepulcural Voice
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Sepulcural Voice » Wed May 04, 2011 11:06 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Ew. No. Never.

what

Beneath the Remains and Schizophrenia are literally top ten thrash metal albums at the least, and their first two releases were massively important towards the evolution of both black and death metal. Chaos A.D and Roots absolutely blow, but those early albums are borderline perfect summations of thrash metal at its most lethal.

Slayer are godlike, period. 1983-1988 era is arguably the best run of any metal band ever; Hell Awaits, Show No Mercy(>>>>Kill Em All), and Reign in Blood are groundbreaking, genre-defining records, period. Even South of Heaven is brilliant in its own right... one of the greatest ever. The later albums aren't nearly as good but they still have some good moments.

The thing that sort of annoys me about Death is really less about the music and more the absolutely overblown cult of personality that has built up around Chuck Schuldiner. Don't get me wrong, he was a brilliant guitarist and a great songwriter, but the fact of the matter is, there were people in the death metal genre that were literally just as important in the mid to late 80's that don't even get remotely the same credit. (see: Death Strike/Master, earliest Sepultura*, Slaughter [CAN] and a few others I need to remember)

I enjoy most of their output, Leprosy and Human are definitely great albums. I've grown to really dislike Sound of Perseverance a lot over the years, but the rest of their work is good to great.

*I'm referring explicitely to Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions here.

funeral_fog
Embryo

Postby funeral_fog » Thu May 05, 2011 2:47 am

Tyler, The Creator - Goblin has finally leaked. Rejoice.

Very VERY solid release, on par with Bastard. My second favourite album of '11 so far, behind the James Blake S/T.
Ya gotta watch out for those Terminator Maids, y'know..

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu May 05, 2011 1:10 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Who is your favorite Czech composer and why?
From what I've heard (not a ton) I really dig Leos Janacek. His Glagolitic Mass is epic, his smaller songs are really haunting (especially The Diary of One Who Disappeared), and Jenufa is an underrated, really great opera. I also love his two major piano sequences (On an Overgrown Path and In the Mists).

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:Also, Eva Yojimbo, I think you forgot Deicide and Kataklysm... fukken awesome [Brutal I think] Death Metal bands...
Never was a big fan of Deicide. I haven't heard Kataklysm yet.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Other Scandinavian black/death metal bands I like include Opeth, Meshuggah, Therion, Tiamet, Mayhem, Darkthrone and Burzum.
Recently I find myself listening to Opeth most....

Speaking of metal, I also love doom metal like the Gathering, Boris, Isis, Cathedral and Candlemass.
Opeth was probably the first metal band after Iron Maiden and Metallica that just ruled my world for a long period of time. They're still one of my absolute favorites. Meshuggah are awesome too, there's probably no metal band that I respect more. They just swist your brain in knots. I never did care much for Mayhem, Darkthrone, or Burzum much. Most of those old, classic black metal bands kinda get on my nerves.

I quite like doom metal too though I haven't listened to it much in a while. Isis, Cathedral and Candlemass are all great. I also dig Paradise Lost and Anathema. You should also pick up Warhorse's As Heaven Turns to Ash, which is probably the heaviest album I've ever heard in the genre. Just check out Doom's Bride. Also, The Gathering are the last band I was really obsessed with, but I dig their later, more Pink-Floyd-meets-Radiohead stuff rather than Mandylion and Nighttime Birds. Although, don't get me wrong, I love those two albums, but How to Measure a Planet? and if_then_else are both in my top 20.

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Thu May 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Eva Yojimbo, if you don't like Deicide I'm not sure if you'll like Kataklysm. They're a lot more aggressive. But try listening to it, if you wanna.
Also, I've heard Opeth a few times, it's a good band but I don't listen to it frequently. I'm not into those Prog Death(or whatever you call it) things. Looks like we're opposites, haha, I'm really into Burzum and Mayhem, for example.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”