[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun May 01, 2011 9:43 am

I've never heard of Perfume, but that was an epic write-up, Oz.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun May 01, 2011 11:31 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I've never heard of Perfume, but that was an epic write-up, Oz.

Thanks. I intend to be even more epic when I review Perfume's Tokyo Dome concert that is a LOT longer.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Sun May 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Azatoth, some people call Kvelertak "Black N' Roll". I find it quite strange, but it's easier to say that than "hard rock with growled vocals"...

Trying to listen to Slayer... Dude, don't know why but I just can't like them. Maybe because of Araya's vocals.

Also listening a lot to Death recently :D

Does anyone here have Last.fm?
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Josef Stalin

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun May 01, 2011 11:43 pm

I used to be active on last.fm, but I stopped using it a year or two ago (although some of my PC listening has slipped there somehow).
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Mon May 02, 2011 12:14 am

Well, gonna send a friend request...

In case anyone wants mine...
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves." - Josef Stalin

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon May 02, 2011 3:14 am

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:Does anyone here have Last.fm?

I do :)

http://www.last.fm/user/esselfortium User page, and
http://www.last.fm/music/esselfortium Music page :P

Oz, we have Very High compatibility! \o/

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon May 02, 2011 3:47 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Oz, we have Very High compatibility! \o/

:glomp:

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Oz, we have Very High compatibility! \o/

Same here, but then I only entered a few rock bands. I have a feeling if I entered a complete list (if ever I could make one) covering all genres, the result might be different...
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

funeral_fog
Embryo

Postby funeral_fog » Mon May 02, 2011 8:26 am

Showing some Aphex Twin love!

Currently waiting on a Selected Ambient Works I 2LP. Perhaps the postman will bring cheer tomorrow?
Ya gotta watch out for those Terminator Maids, y'know..

CommieGuy
Adam

Postby CommieGuy » Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 am

I have low compatibility with both of you :raincloud:

Gotta stop listening to those black metals from the depths of Norway D=

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon May 02, 2011 10:25 am

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:Gotta stop listening to those black metals from the depths of Norway D=

What metal would you recommend then? Sepultura?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 am

View Original PostCommieGuy wrote:Trying to listen to Slayer... Dude, don't know why but I just can't like them. Maybe because of Araya's vocals.

Also listening a lot to Death recently
I've always been a bit "meh" to Slayer outside of Reign in Blood, which has to be amongst the most intense 30 minutes ever committed to record. Death is the shit, period.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon May 02, 2011 10:33 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Death is the shit, period.

I only listened to their last 4 albums (and think their last "The Sound of Perseverance" was also their best). Are their early albums as good?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I only listened to their last 4 albums (and think their last "The Sound of Perseverance" was also their best). Are their early albums as good?
No, their first three aren't as good, but it's astonishing to hear the rapid growth of their songwriting and instrumental maturity. Leprosy is probably the best of their early ones. Pull the Plug is, at least, one of their best tracks. Although, Scream Bloody Gore is essential if only because it was, in many ways, the archetypal death metal album. It had some predecessors, but that was the album that finally cemented just what the hell death metal actually was. I agree that SoP is their best. One of the most intense, brilliant metal albums ever.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon May 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Guess what I got in the mail today :)

Seventeen More Times should be available for sale within the next few days.

On a related note, I was interviewed about the album by Higher Plain Music! There's also a free download of the song "18 Apostolos" on the page.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon May 02, 2011 6:18 pm

*Fangirl squee*

WAY TO GO, ESSEL!

How much did printing all of those CDs cost you? In fact, while we're on the topic, how much are you selling them for? With my recent eBay haul, I might be able to buy one, or ten.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon May 02, 2011 6:35 pm

@Mugwump:
It cost me around $260 to get the discs made, but with all the extra costs and fees involved, the overall price to me is somewhere around... $320 I think? I can't remember exactly.

They'll be available for $12, hopefully* with a special deal for people to get A Terrible Flood for half price if they buy both albums together. It'll also be available as a digital download for $9.99 from CDBaby, iTunes, and other places where good music is sold. ;)

*I need to talk to somebody at CDBaby and see if this special 2-for-1-and-a-half sale can be set up. Fingers crossed.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon May 02, 2011 7:53 pm

@Esselfortium: Where will you be selling the hard copies from?
Voluntary Illusion.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon May 02, 2011 8:00 pm

CDBaby.com. I sold my first album through them, too, a few years ago.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon May 02, 2011 11:50 pm

It's here! :w00t: :w00t: I've been waiting for this day quite a long time.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”