Home theater

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:10 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:I might third the PS3

>.>

Look at the second post of the thread.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Googling provided PS3 community threads and a wikipedia page on Regional lockout and according to both of them, the regional locking on film releases works on PS3. Games do have regional codes, but they are not locked for some reason.

Wikipedia wrote:However, while region free for PS3 games, there is region locking for backwards compatible PS2 and PS1 games, as well as DVD and Blu-ray Disc movies.

I'm quite baffled by the AV receivers since it's the first time I've been reading about them. All I get by googling is a ton of technobabble from audiophiles that makes no sense for a newbie like me.
Last edited by Oz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Well damn

Fuck BDs

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Luckily, us in the Americas have the same BD region codes as Japan :P
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:18 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Luckily, us in the Americas have the same BD region codes as Japan :P

DVD era favoured us eurofags yet now the tide has turned...

Seriously speaking, how long it'll be before the studios wake up the fact we're already living global age? It's not like the region lock outs help the revenues because bitches can DL the films from internet just as well if they can't buy DVDs from another region with earlier release date :hohum:

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Hmm, I guess the European Discs I watched were region free. I've noticed that a lot of my discs dont even have a region marker on the cover.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

It is possible/easy to hack the region coding on a PS3?
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:It is possible/easy to hack the region coding on a PS3?

Sony will fry your cyberbrain if you do that

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:31 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Sony will fry your cyberbrain if you do that

They wont, and they cant. All they can do is permaban you from PSN.
Me and my Droogs.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:04 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I'm quite baffled by the AV receivers since it's the first time I've been reading about them. All I get by googling is a ton of technobabble from audiophiles that makes no sense for a newbie like me.
Most receivers come loaded with a shit ton of features that you'll never use. I have mine set to do nothing but pass the DVD/BD signal straight through to the speakers without doing anything else. Look for one that's cheap with decent sound quality and HDMI equipped and that's all you need, unless you really want to do some sound tweaking. I might recommend looking into NAD and Denon. Both usually deliver high quality for the price and they're usually quite stripped down in terms of features.

EDIT: Something like this would probably be more than enough for what you need. You should also read up on "HTIB" or "home theater in a box", which includes everything you need in one setup. The quality is never as good as buying separate, but it's usually cheaper.

Also, RE PS3, you should probably look up "PS3 hack multi-region" and do some reading on what comes up. If Sony can't make it stop working (I can't imagine they could) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But you should also read about how good its upscaling is on STD.
Last edited by Eva Yojimbo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:18 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Most receivers come loaded with a shit ton of features that you'll never use. I have mine set to do nothing but pass the DVD/BD signal straight through to the speakers without doing anything else. Look for one that's cheap with decent sound quality and HDMI equipped and that's all you need, unless you really want to do some sound tweaking. I might recommend looking into NAD and Denon. Both usually deliver high quality for the price and they're usually quite stripped down in terms of features.

EDIT: Something like this would probably be more than enough for what you need.

Also, RE PS3, you should probably look up "PS3 hack multi-region" and do some reading on what comes up. If Sony can't make it stop working (I can't imagine they could) then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But you should also read about how good its upscaling is on STD.

The best thing you could possibly do when you come across a region locked disc is use MULTIMAN to rip the disc to your hard drive and run it from there.
Me and my Droogs.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:19 pm

View Original Postscarmullet wrote:The best thing you could possibly do when you come across a region locked disc is use MULTIMAN to rip the disc to your hard drive and run it from there.
Why go through the trouble when you can just hack the player? Took me about 20 minutes to hack my Oppo and it plays everything I throw at it now.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:34 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Why go through the trouble when you can just hack the player? Took me about 20 minutes to hack my Oppo and it plays everything I throw at it now.

I dont think there is a region hack on the PS3, yet. The scene is quite new, so one could be in the works.
Me and my Droogs.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:42 pm

I wish I could hack my Sony Bluray to be region free for Bluray. I know you can do it for DVDs, but not Bluray. Only way is to get a chip installed. Thankfully I didn't buy the player. Got it for free.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:01 pm

View Original Postscarmullet wrote:I dont think there is a region hack on the PS3, yet.
Wha? The PS3 has been around quite a while, longer than my Oppo, and it's really popular, so I can't imagine it not having a hack.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:25 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Wha? The PS3 has been around quite a while, longer than my Oppo, and it's really popular, so I can't imagine it not having a hack.

The efforts to actually hack PS3 got real serious only after Sony disabled the OtherOS option. Also, hacking the current-gen consoles is a bit harder now that internet connectivity is serious part of the game and firmware updates are enforced that way. And signed content with revocable keys etc...

Haven't been paying attention but the late reveal of the PS3 root key might open the way to total cracking of the machine... or not.

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:20 pm

View Original PostBiQ wrote:The efforts to actually hack PS3 got real serious only after Sony disabled the OtherOS option. Also, hacking the current-gen consoles is a bit harder now that internet connectivity is serious part of the game and firmware updates are enforced that way. And signed content with revocable keys etc...

Haven't been paying attention but the late reveal of the PS3 root key might open the way to total cracking of the machine... or not.

The PS3 is busted open. Hackers can generate and sign their own homebrew software as if it was released by Sony. The PS3 even has CFW now, like the PSP.
Me and my Droogs.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:26 am

@Jimbo: Checked Finnish stores and couldn't find that exact model here. The cheapest Denon model (no NADs to be found) was this AVR-1311. I haven't yet read anything about it, but does it have everything I need?

@scarmullet: Is it fairly easy to rip the disc with MULTIMAN? Does it affect image/sound quality of the film?

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:02 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:@Jimbo: Checked Finnish stores and couldn't find that exact model here. The cheapest Denon model (no NADs to be found) was this AVR-1311. I haven't yet read anything about it, but does it have everything I need?
Yeah, that looks like more than enough. Just check some reviews on sound quality and make sure it doesn't blow, but Denon are usually reliable.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:35 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Yeah, that looks like more than enough. Just check some reviews on sound quality and make sure it doesn't blow, but Denon are usually reliable.

Just don't buy your cables from them...

That's not to take away from the quality of Denon's real products.

Preempting the next question, I've heard good things about http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ and http://www.monoprice.com/ for quality cables at reasonable prices.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”