Debate Topic(What is Love?)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Debate Topic(What is Love?)

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:28 pm

Alright, I think it's time this Forum gets a serious non-Eva thread. This is a sebate meaning you can argue and disagree as long as you do it politely.

So, I made an essay on love when I was 10, or three years ago, it was actually quite intresting for someone who didn't comprehend love at the time.

Oh my, I could not spell or use grammar three years ago. T.T
What is love? Some people know it as a choice; is it really? Do you choose who you love? Do you choose why? Do you choose when? No, in my eyes love is not a choice. Then, some others say, it is a strong emotion towards a person. This isn't true either. An emotion is a reaction to a certain event; which love is not. When I have stated this infomation before others they have given me the same reply "You'll understand when your older" or "Your to young to understand love." this is also not true. A persons maturity is not judged by there age but what they have been put through and exposed to. For example, a five year old could be more mature than a 32 year old man; depending on what they have been put through. However, the mind of a child is very difrent from that of an adult. Which leads me to my next point... crushes. By dictionary defintion a crush is "A strong -often silly- liking for another person." I agree with this completly. A crush is often mistake -Usually by a child- as love. Well, it is not love. It is a liking towards another person that is so often mistaken for love. I do not believe in crushes because of this. So now you might say "Well then how can you love?" my reply is simple. Crushes and love are two seperate things. There are other ways to love than through a crush. There is also; Love by friends, Love by birth -Usually love for a mother or father(like characters) or sibling-; Love by site -Sometimes known as love at first site-; Love by kindness -Usually how relationships or friendships start; and finally, Love by Love. Love by Love is the most complicated. It would be hard to explain so I will try my best. It is when one person loves another and by reaction, the other loves the first person back. So my next topic goes into, what do you think of love? I think of love not as a choice, a emotion or a powerful crush but as a way of life. Love is so hard to explain for me I would blow my head off trying. Now I have only one more topic left so I will go on. This is the part where everyone says "Your to young." well, I am not go back to the kid and the man I wrote earlier. This topic is: Sex. Does having Sex with someone make you love them? No, having sex with someone just means you can have sex with them. Of course, sex is often a practice of lovers, but it does not mean love. Sex is just the process of getting a woman pregnant. It wasn't a practice for fun until "Protection" was invented. To summarize this all. What is love? Is what we know as love really love and if not what is it? Crushes arent love, they are just an illusion of love. So what is love?

Now, after expieriencing love, or atleast what I precieve to be love, I don't agree with all I said back then. Love is diffrent for every person but I believe that there is a person for everyone no matter what and that your fates are inter-twined. I believe if you kill yourself, so will they. Without even being aware of this. But, I also believe that rules are meant to be broken and fate is a rule.

Now for love itself; Perhaps it is diffrent for everyone, I certainly know what I feel when around this person. It isn't like I feel diffrent or unusual, it's odd. It's like the feeling you get when you come home from a long day at work and sit on the couch. That feeling of being where or with whom you belong. It's very hard to explain, it is like when I am around this person I can barely think of my troubles and they are all that is on my mind. I don't care about sex or lust or anything like that. All I care for is to hold them and embrace them lovingly as if that was the only thing I knew how to do.

Next question, do you believe in online relationships? I'd be a hypocrit if I said no, because I have participated in them before and will argue strongly against someone who says that you need to feel them to love them. Sure typing, "*kiss*" is diffrent than actually kissing but if you truely love eachother you will get the same result. A sharing of your passion, your love. Love is not for the body, the feel or the lust but for the person they are, which is why I argue, in some ways it is better to have an online relationship. Assuming you are both willing to meet in person at a certain point and have varified proof that the other is who they claim they are.

Well, this will certainly spark much debate, I'm sure. Because as I said before, I think everyone has a diffrent perception of what love is to them.

So read, reply, debate but please no flaming and keep an open mind.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:33 pm

"What is Love?"

It's many things to me...

1) It's an overplayed but favorite dance track by Haddaway.
2) It's a feeling I get when spending the greatest time with a girl and not caring about anything else in the world.
3) It's knowing that no matter how far away I am, there will always be family to go back to.

As far as on-line relationships. I think it's just a possible beginning to a relationship but not one in of itself. A relationship (in terms of love) is something physical, mental, and spiritual. At least that's my take on it.
Alex D.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:37 pm

Digitalex wrote:1) It's an overplayed but favorite dance track by Haddaway.

XD
Digitalex wrote:2) It's a feeling I get when spending the greatest time with a girl and not caring about anything else in the world.

Intresting.
Digitalex wrote:3) It's knowing that no matter how far away I am, there will always be family to go back to.

Yeah, that is wonderful to feel.
Digitalex wrote:As far as on-line relationships. I think it's just a possible beginning to a relationship but not one in of itself. A relationship (in terms of love) is something physical, mental, and spiritual. At least that's my take on it.

I diagree, which because this is a debate I am allowed to do politely. I believe that relationships are purely metaphysical and such physical actions are only to help the other remember that medaphysical feeling. But, feel free to argue.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Tsu-chan wrote:
Digitalex wrote:As far as on-line relationships. I think it's just a possible beginning to a relationship but not one in of itself. A relationship (in terms of love) is something physical, mental, and spiritual. At least that's my take on it.

I diagree, which because this is a debate I am allowed to do politely. I believe that relationships are purely metaphysical and such physical actions are only to help the other remember that medaphysical feeling. But, feel free to argue.

Sure. Let me ask you this. Have you ever had a physical relationship with someone?

You describe but part of the entire meaning of a relationship. Especially with context of love. When having sex with someone you lust, it's just sex. It may be fantastic sex but it's simply sex. When you do it with someone you cherish, in mind and heart, it's making love. A relationship filled with love.

Strictly on-line relationships as you like to call it will NEVER EVER be complete IMHO. Have you ever met that one person in real life? Have you ever held hands and felt the warmth of her body? Until you have and add that up with the metaphysical feeling you talk about you won't understand where I am coming from.
Alex D.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:42 pm

Digitalex wrote:Sure. Let me ask you this. Have you ever had a physical relationship with someone?

Yes, I have.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 pm

Tsu-chan wrote:
Digitalex wrote:Sure. Let me ask you this. Have you ever had a physical relationship with someone?

Yes, I have.

But did you love that person?
Alex D.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:56 pm

Digitalex wrote:
Tsu-chan wrote:

Yes, I have.

But did you love that person?

I did.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:30 pm

What is love?

I don't realy know, so I'll go with a mystery.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:38 pm

Tsu-chan, your pretty young, you've got plenty of time to learn and figure it out. I think it's bad to get hung up over idealistic "love" anyways. It's such an overused word.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:57 pm

Love is one of those things you can't talk about without sounding corny.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:34 pm

I think, to define love, you have to define happiness.

Then, from happiness, you have to define feeling.

So, in the end, what is a feeling?

The world will never know what love is because everyone's perception of it is different - one person's idea of love will be different from the next and that is what makes relationships interesting.

Oblivious
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Oblivious » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:13 pm

Taking joy your sacrifice.
http://graveyardofroses.spaces.live.com
You can either choose to change yourself or change your surroundings. All decisions are variations of those two.

anatrok
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby anatrok » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:24 pm

"love is a sentimental heart"

But really, I think it's just where you feel that you should make someone happy, then you love them. Where you feel it would be better to sacrifice your happiness for theirs. That's love in it's simplest form.

If your talking about the kind between a couple, then I guess it's the same thing. Just you also want to be with that person, and you just wanna chill.

Hmm, as to weather an online relationship counts or not, I would say it does, but not exactly a very fulfiling one. Not that sex is all there is, you don't need sex for one, just if you don't ever see the person you love, it's kinda incomplete.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:00 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Loves

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Titus » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:11 am

What is love?

The drive, the want to be near a girl. To see her smile, to make her smile if she isn't. For her to WANT to rely on you whewn she needs it. To make her feel special. To just hold her, feel her heart beat. Making you happy. Smile. Bliss. You don't care about anything else in the world. She's all that matters. To be true, honest and honorable to your girl. To protect her, to fight for her! In some cases, sacrificing one's feelings for the sake of her happyness. In true love, the self doesn't matter, only the person your in love with. Putting up with all kinds of shit, neglect, hate, torture, teasing, stupid games girls play with boy's harts. But true love, means enough is never enough. You always find the strength to keep going. A drive from an unknown source. Keep giving even if you don't get anything.

The self comes second, as in last.

But true love, true love doesn't exsist, not in my eyes. To love some1 who only lusts for good sex, and to keep you around 4 the attention, that's todays love. 1 Way. wrong. With no love, no1 will be complete, so all that's left is to make yourself happy. Que the definition of happpyness. Something I have yet to realise for myself. Pain from love, now there's something ill start a thread over.
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:34 am

Love is something that cannot not be summed up with language. I have always believed that saying "I Love You." is not enough, you have to show it. It is a deep spiritual feeling that can only be expressed with emotion (IMHO). The ways are many and can range from a simply note in a lunch to a deep gaze in the other's eyes to the act of making "love."
Truthfully I have never given much thought in how to truly explain it with words only how can I show her what I feel. Words are meaningless, the truth is in the actions.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:47 am

Love is rediscovering Fire.

Its like a cocoon in which both people grow, protected from the enviromental turbulence of the outside.

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby superdoughboy4 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:28 pm

Digitalex wrote:"What is Love?"

It's many things to me...

1) It's an overplayed but favorite dance track by Haddaway.
2) It's a feeling I get when spending the greatest time with a girl and not caring about anything else in the world.
3) It's knowing that no matter how far away I am, there will always be family to go back to.

As far as on-line relationships. I think it's just a possible beginning to a relationship but not one in of itself. A relationship (in terms of love) is something physical, mental, and spiritual. At least that's my take on it.

Damnit! I'm too late!!!
I was gonna write that when I read the thread name.

But here's my thoughts on what love is.

Love is something that is extraordinary and can sometimes be unexplainable.
Love can be unconditional or conditional. Unconditional love between eachother is the best.
Love is also a feeling in which one feels the utter most desire to be with that person that they admire and have a frendly relationship with.

xiuxiu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xiuxiu » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 pm

love is meeting someone in the store and making out with them for ours in the bathroom and never seeing them again

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:53 pm

What is Love, you ask?

http://ckjcwf.ytmnd.com/

Sorry, couldn't resist. However, I must agree with DigitalAlex on this. Online relationships are a no-no. It may be a good ice-breaker, but until you actually meet, you may as well only be playing house.

And Tsu-Chan, aren't you a teen-ager? Slow the feck down, brother. :wink:
There's plenty of time later on in life to have someone stomp your heart into a bloody puddle into the concrete, thus making you bitter for the couple years. Or am I speaking far too much from personal experiences? Damn, of all times for my Backspace key to be broken.. :oops:

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”