Who Does NOT Use "Trope Logic" Here?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:24 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Yeah, fuck those impure loan words! I don't need that Jap crap diluting the greatness of my white man's master English language. Languages should never, under any circumstances, breed or interact with each other. I don't care if English is already a filthy mutt of a language that's absorbed countless words from other languages over the centuries, I don't want to see it happening.

I'm actually seriously mixed on this issue. Do you have any idea how annoying it is when you're in Germany and it seems like they try to use English to replace practically everything (these guys even curse in English)? They don't always do it just because it's easier either. They do it because America dominates everything and English is thus made "cool". Same thing with the Nakama stuff, except it's limited to anime people.
Then again, languages do (and have to) borrow from each other as a law of nature, so I guess you can't really say it's bad. Just damn annoying.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 am

View Original PostLeoXiao wrote:Then again, languages do (and have to) borrow from each other as a law of nature, so I guess you can't really say it's bad. Just damn annoying.

People are going to say what they want to say. While I think it would be nice if modern English exported its vocabulary a little less and imported it a little more, I doubt it's going to happen as long as the USA is the world's chief purveyor of culture. In fansubbing, I don't have a problem with leaving concepts untranslated if people know what they mean - but then again, if people know what they mean, you can put your approximate translation in the subs and people will listen to the actual line to get the gist of it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Yeah, fuck those impure loan words! I don't need that Jap crap diluting the greatness of my white man's master English language. Languages should never, under any circumstances, breed or interact with each other. I don't care if English is already a filthy mutt of a language that's absorbed countless words from other languages over the centuries, I don't want to see it happening.

Luckily language change is primarily not advanced by Blind Idiot Translations. (<- Dropping a trope name makes this post relevant)

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:20 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:But yeah. Some of the terms on there are just plain nonsense. Not everything is a trope and not everything needs a name,

Well, by definition, any recurring element across media just has reached a level of prevalency to become codified is a trope. That is to say, something that shows up in very similar form even when made by different people.

The name is then necessary so that you can discuss it without excessivly verbosity, and keeps it easier to remember.

This assumes both parties know the meaning of the world of course, and it is rather rude to use jargon around the uninitiated, no matter what you're doing.
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:15 pm

View Original PostTeague wrote:This assumes both parties know the meaning of the world of course, and it is rather rude to use jargon around the uninitiated, no matter what you're doing.

It doesn't help when real world technical jargon is almost indistuingable from technobabble for those who aren't experts in their respective fields (just as a quick example, I doubt many of those present have any idea what block shear is). Many trope names are actually somewhat self-descriptive in sorta-laymen's terms (aided by a few name changes over the years due to misidentification being an outright spoiler from where the trope name originated from, the latter of which is best demonstrated by the renaming of the trope once called "Instrumentality" to "Assimilation Plot"; unfortunately the old page image, a container of Tang, has been removed).

Of course, depending on the context, it can be funny to deliberately use words that are unnecessarily technical or complicated (i.e.: dihydrogen monozide poisoning).

But again, the biggest issue with TV Tropes is that it's overused. Unfortunately, non-tropers probably aren't so much hating the tropes themselves so much as they despise the tropers refusing to shut up. We're a little too.... eccentric and/or enthusiastic about it for their tastes.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:44 am

TV Tropes is the worst thing since syphilis.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:36 am

View Original PostLucretius wrote:TV Tropes is the worst thing since syphilis.

:rimshot: The mandatory Lucretius comment? Check.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 am

View Original PostLucretius wrote:TV Tropes is the worst thing since syphilis.

The only difference is that syphilis is treatable.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:01 am

For me, TV Tropes is fun to read, but if taken seriously (which people do way too often), it gives viewers an excuse not to make anything of the unique and at times subjective qualities/meaning a work has to offer, because they can reduce it all to mere invocations of a tried and true literary device. And most of the time, such people are right that the work is invoking a device/"trope", but they run the risk of missing out on the work's unique take on/interpretation of the literary device. (I sound like Major Kusanagi, don't I?) I read and edit TV Tropes often, but it does not trivialize my experience of fiction in any way; in fact, I rarely think of TV Tropes while experiencing fiction unless I find something blatantly reminiscent of a particularly witty/memorable TV Tropes article, or if the work implements a literary device in such an obvious way that I'd spot it even if I'd never read a page of TV Tropes in my life (in that case, the only difference would be that I wouldn't have a name for the device). But if someone does feel that reading TV Tropes is marginalizing the joy of fiction for them, I'd strongly urge them to stop reading it.

All that being said, Tropers have a terrible habit of falsely making light of works or authors, reducing brilliant works to the punchline of a quasi-ironic non-sequitur joke (at times as bad as Encyclopedia Dramatica, but at least Dramatica isn't necessarily serious). It does irritate me when people use that kind of "trope logic". In particular, I get sick of them calling Eva a Dysfunction Junction Faux-Symbolic YMMV Mind Screw EVERY SINGLE TIME they bring it up.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”