Gainax and Anno splitting up over New Movie Edition?

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:15 pm

It has nothing to do with quality or Ghibli lacking funds. They're not fragile businesswise. It could be described as "ethical" choice.

Ghibli and Miyazaki in particular has been trying to find new directing talent for the studio for decades now: people who're capable of taking hold of the studio after Miyazaki and Takahata and good old Suzuki are gone. Arrietty was stress test to see if audience is ready to embrace Ghibli works NOT directed by Miyazaki or Takahata justas well.

(Of course) they passed the test.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 pm

That's an interesting theory. What do you base this Willy Wonka theory on?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:That's an interesting theory. What do you base this Willy Wonka theory on?

how about news, comments by Miyazaki & Suzuki they've made through many years by now and common sense?

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Not a theory. It's a fact.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:33 pm

I don't see any quotes in there to the effect that 'Ghibli needs a successor to Miyazaki, else we'll just shut down'.

"If two rookie directors, though one is not a true rookie, become good, they becomes a valuable property for Ghibli. Though Suzuki-san says, "You make a film after them." If Maro makes a (second) film, Ghibli will be more stable."

doesn't say that at all. Do enlighten me with something more specific than a link.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm

The key there is "makes Ghibli more stable"

you clearly don't know much about studio's history but it's been a terrible problem for them to find a replacement for Miyazaki. Back in 90s it looked like Yoshifumi Kondo would rise to become the Third Great but he died of heart attack not long after directing his first film, Whisper of the Heart.

Miyazaki is aabout 70 years old already. It's clear he and rest of the old gang can't go on in the business for decades from now on. Ghibli was initially established just to create Laputa but they ended up continuing (this isn't first time dissolution plans have been made by the), a bit like GAINAX was initially created only for Honneamise and had no plans of continuing after Honneamise ended.

There are no financial reasons for why Ghibli would dissolve. They're the best known and most reverred trademark in all Japan. Every single film by them makes huge profit and they're well loved. Miyazaki's been breaking recors through the last decade and all of his projects have been major critical successes.

There quite simply are no financial or such reasons to even consider dissolution of Ghibli. They make enormous profit from all they do so sponsors, distribution etc. are no-issues for them.

The reasons for dissolution plan becomes very clear when one remembers how strongly Ghibli depends on Miyazaki and Takahata, on Miyazaki in particular. After Kondo died only The Cat Returns was succes worthy the honored name of Ghibli out of films not directed by Miyazaki.

Howl's Moving Castle was originally ment to be directed by Mamoru Hosoda - but that plan fell through for various reasons and Miyazaki was forced to return back to directing job. There was no one else capable of taking his place.

And then Goro Miyazaki's Earthsea was disastrous failure critically speaking: financially it did well but it was ripped apart otherwise.

Forgetting early 00s The Cat Returns (which was kind-of sequel/side story to the highly popular Whisper of the Heart in any case) Arrietty was third major Ghibli project NOT by Miyazaki in this decade. First two had been failures, Miyazaki had to direct Howl whereas Earthsea was something of a trainwreck.

It was perfect stress test to see is Ghibli able to keep up its high demands of quality etc. when Miyazaki is not directing. And because Ghibli has existed as long as it has half-accidentally dissolving it - as horrifying the thought is - is not unthinkable to them.

But Arrietty was grand success, both critical and commercial. Fear is gone. In Maro it looks like Ghibli has finally found the first "new generation" director upon whom future of the studio can be entrusted in future.

What would happen of Ghibli if Miyazaki died, stopped working or anything like that? This dependence on Miyazaki is exactly what made the studio "unstable". If Arrietty had failed it would've implied Ghibli would be lost case without him.

There's no other explanation or reason to make any sort of dissolution plans.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:03 pm

And then Goro Miyazaki's Earthsea was disastrous failure critically speaking: financially it did well but it was ripped apart otherwise.

Actually I think in terms of technical skill he did a good job directing, it's just that his storytelling skills are crap. If he could actually get good at telling storys then they would have hope.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:09 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Actually I think in terms of technical skill he did a good job directing, it's just that his storytelling skills are crap. If he could actually get good at telling storys then they would have hope.

yes, technically Earthsea was brilliant. Narrative was incoherent mess though, unfortunately.

I personally think japs overreacted in their hatedom towards that film but, well, it WAS Ghibli title so expectations were big

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:46 pm

I dunno why but when I watched the first time I was impressed by EarthSea but when I rewatched it in DVD (the first time it was on TV late in the night during last Xmas) I noticed the poorly written storyline (I'm not an expert of Studio Ghibli movies, I've watched only some of them and thus I didn't have any special expectation).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 pm

I can't wait for Miyazaki to die so we can get a bunch of direct-to-video sequels to his movies (and spinoff TV series)!

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 pm

^No way man. No way.:raz:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:46 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:I can't wait for Miyazaki to die so we can get a bunch of direct-to-video sequels to his movies (and spinoff TV series)!

That won't be happening - because Suzuki will live for thousand years just to make sure that will never happen.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Ever since Evastore did a site renewal, their old RSS stopped working. I tried to search for a new one and got something of that sort. But nowadays I rarely get news from there. BUT, now there's been a lot of Eva related activity (new stuff) on the General Products store at Gainax's Website.

Wonder if there's a trade war going on now...
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:03 pm

View Original PostCombs wrote: This powerpuff shit won't keep them afloat

I officially retract this terrible statement.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:36 pm

Pretty much the deal with Ghibli is they need more directors than just Miyazaki & Isao Takahata.

I don't know much about the inside workings of Ghibli but I do know they don't pimp out their works with heaps of profitable merchandise like other animation companies do. I sure haven't seen any Nausicaa in the Valley of the Maids merchandise.

I can only imagine how tough it is to stay afloat and maintain revenue when the film studio releases just one film every few years. With added directors they'd be able to release more works, hire more animators, and keep everyone happy.

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:12 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Pretty much the deal with Ghibli is they need more directors than just Miyazaki & Isao Takahata.

I don't know much about the inside workings of Ghibli but I do know they don't pimp out their works with heaps of profitable merchandise like other animation companies do. I sure haven't seen any Nausicaa in the Valley of the Maids merchandise.

I can only imagine how tough it is to stay afloat and maintain revenue when the film studio releases just one film every few years. With added directors they'd be able to release more works, hire more animators, and keep everyone happy.

While there may not specifically be a lot of Nausicaa merchandise, Ghibli films are in fact heavily merchandised with many promotional tie-ins, particularly around the time of release. This practice goes back more than twenty years; Kiki's Delivery Service was co-sponsored by the Yamato Transport Co., Ltd; Porco Rosso, by JAL.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”