Gainax makes no sense???

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Gainax makes no sense???

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:32 pm

I am not that big of anime fan and I had only seen a few Gainax's works (at least not to point of otaku) but wherever I go the fansites of said show I always hear about some hidden psychological subtexts with what the author's real intentions are for the show. What I am trying to ask to those who analyzed shows like FLCL or Ideon, WTF is going on? Even TTGL has something hidden in it and want to know how I can spot out the references, nods and other things in the shows so I can understand it better.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 am

What the hell was hidden in TTGL? That's about as straightforward as you can get. There are themes of growing up in there I guess... Ideon wasn't Gainax. FLCL has some interesting metaphors about sexual adolescence as baseball and the like but hardly anything that would confuse any half-observant person or anyone who's gone through puberty for that matter. If by "makes no sense" you're referring to absurdism then I guess FLCL falls under that. Gunbuster is hardly confusing and Diebuster leaves a few questions that aren't really central to the story but leave interpretation open to the viewer. It'd be helpful if you pointed out specific instances of "making no sense". As far as references go, Gainax loves to reference their previous works. The only way to get them is to look them up or to actually watch more Gainax shows.

NB, I'm just going by the shows I've seen. I'm sure others can shed more light on things from Daicon to Mahoromatic to Shikabane Hime.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 am

If you're talking "Gainax" and "makes no sense", look no further than "He is my master".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:41 am

I'd say look no further than evanjellyoon...
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:42 am

Mr. Tines wrote:If you're talking "Gainax" and "makes no sense", look no further than "He is my master".

Of course, they had Shaft helping them with that one...
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Twsa'teotu
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twsa'teotu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 am

I've found that Gainax shows, i.e. Eva, actually make a lot of sense.....but its...

many people assume that, like most shows, they're just about "explosions!" etc. The deeper meaning was just "social commentary on otaku/get out there and live your life"

But some people take this to ridiculous extremes, looking for subtle shades of meaning or metaphor in seemingly everyday camerawork in the shows.

The problem is, they're so vocal about it, that then everyone else is convinced that "it's a pretentious show which isn't really about anything"

just because the crazy elaborate fanboy theories were baseless doesn't mean the show doesn't mean anything;

It's that it meant something a lot more basic, but still above the level of "explosions!"
Question: "who the hell do you think I am?"
Answer: "My name is Mr. Snrub and I come from some place far away....Anyway, I say we invest that money back in the nuclear plant. "
"I like the way Snrub thinks!"

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:55 am

Mr. Tines wrote:If you're talking "Gainax" and "makes no sense", look no further than "He is my master".

I'll take that, and raise you "This Ugly Yet Beautiful World".
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: Gainax makes no sense???

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:44 pm

GAP wrote:What I am trying to ask to those who analyzed shows like FLCL or Ideon, WTF is going on?
What?
GAP wrote:Ideon
What?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Ideon existed purely for the sake of making you feel sick with depression. I don't believe that a show involving headshots on 5 year olds and blowing up the universe can hold any secret morals on loving relationships or how to grow roses.

FLCL was one big penis joke.

Edit: oh God, NAveryW's avatar over my avatar... Image

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Ideon wasn't even BY Gainax though.

In regards to "hidden meaning", Gurren Lagann was straightforward though one of it's themes was growing up. FLCL on the other hand has sexual references with adolescence.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Mahoromatic's theme was that maids are hot. And also, they love raping the fans with terrible endings.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Let's not forget all the subtle sexual symbolism in Oruchuban Ebichu. For example, the phrase "squirrels and chestnuts" is "kuritorisu" in Japanese, which can also mean clitoris. Lots of intelligent Freudian stuff.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Mahoromatic's theme was that maids are hot. And also, they love raping the fans with terrible endings.

I've said it before, I'll probably say it before in the future as well. Mahoromatic didn't have a terrible ending, it had an unsatisfactory ending. All the important characters were reunited and happy by the end of it. That makes it a happy ending, albeit one that could have been done better.

Suguru also makes a badass Gene Starwind cosplay, on a side note.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:02 am

Maid outfits and boobies.

What else is there to get?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:15 am

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:Maid outfits, boobies, and a horny alligator that rips clothes off of underage girls for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Fixed.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:
I Accidentally Dracula wrote:Maid outfits, boobies, and a horny alligator that rips clothes off of underage girls for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Fixed.

XD
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 pm

There's a horny alligator in He Is My Master?

Suddenly the show sounds A LOT more interesting.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:There's a horny alligator in He Is My Master?

Yes. Unfortunately.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Suddenly the show sounds A LOT more interesting.

It's probably my least favorite thing Gainax has done.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 pm

That's an alligator?

To be honest, as large a fan of Gainax that I claim to be I've missed out on most of their "Maid" Shows. I consider the pre 2000 era when practically everything Gainax was Anno directed to be their heyday.

Of the works they've released since 2000 I've only seen FLCL, Diebuster, Gurren Lagann, and Shikabane Hime. Thankfully, aside from Hime, those are all really great works.

So Gainax is still going strong. Has there been any news about a new show for them?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:56 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:So Gainax is still going strong. Has there been any news about a new show for them?

Hanamaru Kindergarten
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”