The End of ADV?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

The End of ADV?

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:25 pm

First the Good News :jiggy: :

Funimation has picked up nearly all the cancelled Geneon titles, including Higurashi and Rozen Maiden Traumend. [url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-03/funimation-agrees-to-distribute-select-geneon-titles[/url]

Now the Bad News :crybaby: :

ADV has indefinitely suspended the release of 4 titles, including Kanon vol. 6. [url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-03/adv-films-suspends-4-dvd-titles-indefinitely[/url]

It looks like the same licensing issues, caused by their breakup with Soljitz, that derailed several of thier titles earlier this year are to blame this time too. It's unclear at this time whether they will be able to re-secure these licenses and resume distribution at a later date.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:32 pm

YES! Higurashi! I was hoping a company would pick it up again, seeing as it was one of the few shows I'm willing to go out and purchase...
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

ADV Looks to be in Serious Financial Trouble

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:10 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/funimation-picks-up-over-30-former-ad-vision-titles

According to this article at AnimeNewsNetwork, A.D. Vision has just transfered/given away/lost over 30 of their titles to Funimation. Many seem to be old titles but some (like Welcome to the N.H.K.) are titles that are still being released on Region 1 DVD. NHK was somewhere in its 5th or 6th volume I believe.

I need to look this up sometime when I have time but it seems that A.D.V. looks to be in the shit as far as finances go. They've been losing titles like mad over the past few months (Gurren-Lagann especially). Probably they're losing business because internet downloading is just the way it is now. I don't watch too much anime (about 2-3 series a year tops, rarely a new one), but three years ago a show like Eureka Seven or Welcome to the N.H.K. likely would've become something I'd buy to own. Sure, neither is great and both have excessive flaws (Eureka Seven especially) but they have moments of real greatness. But now, hell, I can get a DVD quality version of the series with just a little online research. It's gotta be something REAL special for me to spend the cash on it. I'm sure its the same with a lot of folks here.

Anywho, if A.D.V. is in the shit like it seems, on a personal note I'd say for Eva this means the "Live Action Craptacular" is 100% out of their financial reaches at the moment, the "Rebuild" series will probably be picked up by someone else (I think they're gonna wait till the movies are over before sigining a Region 1 deal).

A.D.V. is gonna hold on to Eva till the end clearly but I wonder... since they need cash how long do you think it'll be till they release a whole DVD Set of Eva? My guess....Christmas.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:04 am

At least now we'll get all of Hellsing Ultimate (dubbed) whenever production in Japan finishes, some time in the next decade.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:06 am

not to keep defending them, but trying to keep things grounded;

we kind of already knew they had lost most of these titles. this was FUNimation officially picking up stuff ADV had mostly lost already.

Welcome to the NHK was a problem there though.

The thing is.....either they actively try to get everyone to stop downloading, or the economy overall gets better, but its a bad time overall for most anime companies.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Here's the latest:

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:29 pm

ADV loses 30+ titles to Funimation.

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/funimation-picks-up-over-30-former-ad-vision-titles[/url]

So eventually we will get Vol. 6 of Kannon.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:49 pm

it's interesting that the ball is FINALLY rolling on this stuff after all the haggling
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Readers of this thread might be interested in my latest post in the Anime Expo 2008 thread:

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5206

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:50 am

Wow....that was a rather large kick in ADV films balls.
I won.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:23 am

let them burn... would anyone care?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:48 pm

slothen wrote:would anyone care?

Apart from V, I doubt it.

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:51 am

They are probably having financial troubles because they overcharge for boxsets and they make really shitty English translations. :clap:

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:41 am

BobBQ wrote:

yes, I am following the story closely
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:53 pm

BobBQ wrote:

Or anyone who is interested in the DVDs that may or may not ever finish release because of this, like thewayneiac.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

ADV is dead. Long live ADV.

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:17 am

http://animecornerstore.blogspot.com/2008/07/adv-implodes-funimation-picks-up-advs.html

Word on the street is that ADV just divided by zero. And while it's not official that the company is dead, at the very least, it's in serious fucking shit. They sold off a lot of their licenses to Funimation, and they're asking for stock back from dealers. There's some rumors that ADV is dead and they're trying to eliminate corporate debt so they can reinvent the company as some sort of license reseller or something, rather than seeing titles from licensing to distribution. Very weird to think that such a huge "pillar" of the anime distribution community could just tank so suddenly.

What does this have to do with Evangelion?

Two things:

A) ADV owns the licenses to the Evangelion TV series, Director's Cuts, and "Angelic Days".

B) Live Action Evangelion

And while I don't give a shit if someone else obtains Evangelion as a license, I am curious about whether this will put the last nail in the coffin of the Live Action Evangelion project. Who knows, if Matt Greenfield doesn't have to does his thing at ADV maybe he would actually have MORE time to tease us with promises to make a shitty American version of Evangelion to embarrass us.

They'll be having a "special" announcement of some sort at Otakon in a few days. I'll report back on that.

Drama...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 am

Aaron I am confused: the news blog you post is dated July 4, and there are updates from the past month, but this does not seem to be anything particularly new; we've been following this on here for a while, through the AX thing.

***however, these new rumors you speak of I have not heard.

As for live action Evangelion, I must remind you that *Weta* wanted to make the project, THEY approached ADV not the other way around...and as long as Richard Taylor is an Eva fanatic, there will be hope. Keep the faith.
Who is "Codename V"?....

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Re: ADV is dead. Long live ADV.

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:21 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:<snip> And while I don't give a shit if someone else obtains Evangelion as a license, I am curious about whether this will put the last nail in the coffin of the Live Action Evangelion project. Who knows, if Matt Greenfield doesn't have to does his thing at ADV maybe he would actually have MORE time to tease us with promises to make a shitty American version of Evangelion to embarrass us.
I've long believed that if LAE ever happened, ADV would only play an ancillary role like just licensing and some big Hollywood studio and/or mogul would do nearly ALL the heavy lifting

it certainly will be interesting if ADV can keep its head above water through this shitstorm

slightly off topic now, has Funamation or someone else gotten the rights to Webuild?
They'll be having a "special" announcement of some sort at Otakon in a few days. I'll report back on that.

Drama...
I'll stay tuned in, then
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 am

Luckily I already have Platinum (actually I might be missing vol.5 and 7 but since my birthday's coming up in the fall I can probably get it then) and Angelic Days so this shouldn't effect me too much.

However, I really liked their translation for Platinum so this is a pity to hear.

It would be a shame if ADV does get the sack because they are at least a decent company besides all their screwups with releases like Subbed Sailormoon and previous releases of Eva.

I'll be interested in hearing their announcement from Otakon.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:37 am

Sayonara, ADV? This is definitely bad.

I agree with what Hal and V said about LAEM. That project isn't officially done for unless Weta decides to throw in the towel.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:30 pm

ADV for LAEM would be the equivalent of New Line or Miramax before them, and as we have seen, they were replaceable

***but my original question is ignored: I think because Aaron was away he didn't realize that we've been following this pretty closely: I mean, we've already discussed this same information in other threads and I don't know what he's saying that's "new" (confusion)
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”