Gurren-Lagann: GAINAX'S Epic! (There Be Massive Spoilers)

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:23 pm

Fix'd

Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Shawn Dudley
Adam

Cameos

•      
  •      

Postby Shawn Dudley » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:45 pm

Did anyone watching GL, during the Onsen episode notice THIS...

It seems our pilots are moonlighting...
"Do not believe in yourself! Believe in Me, who believes in you." -Kamina the Great

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:07 pm

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73539#73539

Also, I think at an anime con, it was said that this was due to the animators "going crazy"

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Re: Cameos

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:21 pm

Shawn Dudley wrote:Did anyone watching GL, during the Onsen episode notice THIS...

It seems our pilots are moonlighting...

This is what Shinji dreams of every night. Not that he remembers.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:54 am

Well, there was an unexpected twist in the ending, I suppose it wasn't entirely unexpected and better than a "happily ever after" ending. Mech the size of a galaxy? Could that be the largest mech ever? There needs to be an entry added to the dictionary under "Epic" that says "See: Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann".

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:24 pm

Well, it's over. Gurren-Lagann has climaxed.

Until "The End of Gurren-Lagann" where everyone lives is done.

It's been a great ride from Episode 1 in April to this EPIC Battle! Seriously I think if anything thats a great show of the writing skills on this show is just that as the cast grew more and more (and at the end it's something like 30 characters strong) no one feels as if they serve no purpose. Even down to Attenborough who is meant to serve the purpose as most obnoxious character in show.
The whol episode was just Imaishi goodness from the odd, high black and color contrasts of the ULTIMATE MECHAS to the sudden insane animation sequences that put any other animation on TV to shame.
Pure brilliance.
As for the end. It's a bittersweet one. It is a bit of a downer but in the scope of all things Gainax it was quite crowd pleasing. No mind rapes or masturbation around...alas. The whole show is geared to be one of those fan favorites and while I feel it's Gainax's second best work to Evangelion, it's a damn brilliant piece of animation and storytelling. If Eva is Gainax's mastrpiece. Then Gurren-Lagann is Gainax's timeless classic.

Final closing, the epilogue was great but also left me worried that 4 or so years down the lines there's gonna be a Tengen Toppa TOPPA Gurren-Lagann. More than half the dialogue in the final episode pointed towards the Spiral Nemesis and if this makes Gainax one iota of the cash overall Eva has made I wouldn't be suprised to see them kick out a movie or OVA series chronicling the characters attempts to stop another Spiral Alien spieces that becomes the Spiral Nemesis.
We'll see. If they do it'd be nice to see them pull a dark turn and make humanity the ultimate villian but I doubt it.

Nonetheless- Simon, Nia, Yoko, Viral, Rossiu, Leeron (Gainax's gay to out gay Kaworu), Boota, and the whole rest of the gang- I'll miss ya guys.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:00 am

If I remember correctly, I think Imaishi said he'd do a seconds season if they let him. I'm guessing that the guy we saw at the beginning of the first episode was Gimmy? We know there is at least o0ne more enemy to fight.

It makes me sad that Nia disappeared, but I'm happy not only that Lord Genome got to redeem himself, but that Viral is now a fucking captain. Seriously though the only way to put the episode is
MOTHER. FUCKING. EPIC!!!
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:00 pm

After seeing a lot of the hype around the internet, including this very thread (I only read the title, I hate spoilers XD) I watched the series, and I just finished it. I have to say, it was fucking awesome. I really loved it. I personally consider it equal to Eva....great animation...beautiful artwork....fucking epic storyline. The ending couldn't have been much better either, though I hated losing Nia. What I don't get is how 20 years seems to be 40 years in that universe...I mean, a 40 year old Yoko wouldn't look that bad. I couldn't bear to look at her epilogue persona...

I also didn't like how Simon just walked away at the end...but that's expected of him, I guess. I don't think there can be a second season, because all of the cover characters are gone now... and we don't need to see Simon getting a hip replacement because he wrecked his Lagann into a mountain, since he can't see in all 3 dimensions anymore. If they do make a second season, they'd better do a damn good job at it.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:18 pm

I don't think there can be a second season, because all of the cover characters are gone now... and we don't need to see Simon getting a hip replacement because he wrecked his Lagann into a mountain, since he can't see in all 3 dimensions anymore. If they do make a second season, they'd better do a damn good job at it.

They said if another was made it would be about new characters
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:33 pm

Yeah. since Simon essentially "passed the torch" when he gave his drill to that kid.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:58 am

Well apparently, they don't want to make a second season but are happy to make OVAs covering side-stories (such as Virals vigilantism during the 7 year time skip).

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Well, I think it would be odd to bring up a few known characters in a whole new season...it just wouldn't work, and wouldn't be the same at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing some OVA's...actually, I'd like some quite a bit. Some backstory to Viral maybe...showing the history of other people, that really isn't known all too well. Some side fights or something. They definitely can get something good out of that.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:01 am

Anti-Spirals = Completed Instrumentality

Discuss.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:25 am

You know, I liked it a lot, but I don't think it was as HOLY SHIT THAT WAS SO GOOD I'M GOING TO CREAM MYSELF NOW as a lot of people say, in my opinion. It had some pretty apparent flaws. My biggest beef with GL is the pacing. Why did they have to spend most of the second half dicking around in Kamina City, and only left the last few episodes for the GARlock stuff, which was what we were all waiting for? Simon was cool, and he was fantastic before the timeskip, but I found after the timeskip, he just seemed like a slightly boring fakeass Kamina with a bad character for a girlfriend who I could care less to get saved. And I wished those random Gurren-dan members like those dudes who died in 24 got some more spotlight so I actually would have cared if they died (cept Jougan and Barinbou, sucked that they had to die). And the ending was kind of depressing on Simon's part.

Don't get me wrong, just about everything else was great. Probably a 7.5 or an 8 for me.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Rahaquiel-2D1S
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rahaquiel-2D1S » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:16 pm

ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH

STOP THE UNSTOPPABLE

BREAK THE UNBREAKABLE

TOUCH THE UNTOUCHABLE!!

BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!!! GIGA DORIL BREAAAKAAAAAA!!!

TTGL itself is Xbox HUEG
Haunted dolls? If Rozen Maiden ever taught us anything it would be to look under it's dress.

<No animated GIF in sig, please. -Admin>

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:39 pm

TTGL = Katamari Damacy, the anime. Seriously.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:03 am

So any hints or rumors out on the interweb what Studio GAINAX is working on next?

Please no mentions of R'Eva

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:43 pm

I felt kind of felt weird screaming to myself all throughout the last episode. Please tell me I wasn't the only one.

Also this is the best anime ever that's not Evangelion or First Gundam.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

King_Panther13
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby King_Panther13 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:12 am

wildarmsheero wrote:I felt kind of felt weird screaming to myself all throughout the last episode. Please tell me I wasn't the only one.

Also this is the best anime ever that's not Evangelion or First Gundam.

You're not the only one who was screaming XD.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:52 pm

This is probably one of my favorite mecha animes, besides Gunbuster and GaoGaiGar. This made me realize I need to watch more Super Robot series.
Around the time when the spring lineup for anime came out, I saw GL and thought no one would sub it because Moe was in and Mech was out. It ended up becoming the most awesome thing ever, seriously. Throwing galaxies + Engrish opera rap = best show ever. GL shows that a super robot show can still have the fun factor while maintaining a solid plot and a cast of likable characters.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”