Gurren-Lagann: GAINAX'S Epic! (There Be Massive Spoilers)

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:14 pm

The dubbed first episode is streaming on Sci-Fi channel's website. I have to say that I was really disappointed. Yoko was good, Simon was mostly bad, although he could have potential, but Kamina was just awful. He didn't have any real forcefulness, and was completely unbelievable as an unstoppable, charismatic leader. Still, the show is so goddamn awesome, the bad dub didn't bring it down enough to make it unwatchable. I'm glad that it will be more accessible to people out there, and there will soon be even more GL fans.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Brik-kun wrote:Still, the show is so goddamn awesome, the bad dub didn't bring it down enough to make it unwatchable.

QFT.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:40 pm

yeah Kamina was just....blah. I mean really blah. Guy-reading-a-translation-off-a-card, as opposed to the balls-to-the-wall over-the-topness that Kamina has in the original Japanese

of course, Scifi Channel isn't even bothering to run commercials for GL.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm

V wrote:of course, Scifi Channel isn't even bothering to run commercials for GL.
Yes they are. I saw a commercial for it during the credits for the second episode of Gurren Lagann.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:03 pm

I don't think that's what V meant, NAW

anyway, anime on Scifi sucks, PERIOD, because even the rare good stuff they show gets all censored, like GitS

you would think that being on late night cable coupled with the recent judgment nullifying the FCC fine on Janetgate that they would man up and show "the goods"

honestly, Comedy Central shows stuff totally uncensored late at night, why couldn't Scifi?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:19 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:you would think that being on late night cable coupled with the recent judgment nullifying the FCC fine on Janetgate that they would man up and show "the goods"
The FCC has no control over cable anyway. WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THE FCC GOVERNS CABLE?!

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:27 pm

ZapalacX wrote:All i can say is :|. Obviously dubtitles on the DVDs. WFT is this shit?

Unless the clips used on the Mangle site is a different dub than the dub that will be on the final release, this is bullshit.

I just compared the available clips to the first DVD release and there are several differences in the subtitles and the dub. The dub does stick close to the subtitles, but keep in mind, the process goes Original Japanese Voices > English Subtitle Script > rewrite of English subtitle script to make the dub script > English Dub.

The dub is just sticking closer to the original script, but they are not "Dubtitles".

Sailor Star Dust wrote:FUCKKKKK.
I wonder what they'll do with episode 6.... Any chances it'll air in all it's uncut, Gainax bunny boob-train, Gimli finding a hole, glory?

This was announced a little over 2 months ago (and kinda pointed out by me weeks ago)

ANN wrote:Sci Fi Channel's run and Bandai Entertainment's first box set in July will include the same version of episode 6 that originally aired in Japan. However, Bandai Entertainment's later bilingual DVD release will include both this version and the updated version that premiered in the Japanese DVD release.

Though, it turned out the first DVD release had the uncensored version. Sci-Fi, however, will air the censored version, I don't get why this was ever in doubt.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:21 pm

I know all that, but according to a friend that has the Bandai Volume 1 release of the subbed version, only episode 6 uncut is included.

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:27 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:only episode 6 uncut is included.

I can confirm that, having the dvd myself.
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:02 pm

flatulant wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:only episode 6 uncut is included.

I can confirm that, having the dvd myself.

And I stated and confirmed that before as well.

There was also an article confirming that uncut ep 6 would be on the first DVD as well.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:13 pm

Then ANN probably misunderstood, and the second one will still have both.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm more annoyed with Scifi than I am the dub. I mean, speeding up the OP for the first episode, having a commercial every five minutes, and skipping the ED (which I'm very fond of). That more than anything is probably going to keep me away from watching the show there in the future.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:40 pm

The FCC has no control over cable anyway. WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THE FCC GOVERNS CABLE?!

Because most cable channels, especially scifi act like it does.

I'm more annoyed with Scifi than I am the dub. I mean, speeding up the OP for the first episode, having a commercial every five minutes, and skipping the ED (which I'm very fond of). That more than anything is probably going to keep me away from watching the show there in the future.

This used to really irritate me back when I watched anime on scifi in the 90's, I've kinda lowered my expectations of scifi channel since then so I don't really care that much now.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:09 am

Defectron wrote:
Because most cable channels, especially scifi act like it does.

I thought that title 5 or 6 extends the FCC powers to regulate cable. Regardless, the FCC are responsible for regulating certain aspects of cable broadcasting. I can't find the link to the actual title of the act, but this was all I could find with no effort: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/complain.html

What makes you think the "Federal Communications Commission" regulations would have no effect over cable anyways? This is a no brainer...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 am

Side note:

Amazon has GURREN-LAGANN VOL. 02 marked for an August 5 release.
And
GURREN-LAGANN VOL. 03 marked for a September 2 release.

Which means to celebrate the (seemingly useless) release of the GURREN-LAGANN Movie 01 on Sept 6 (in Japan...meh) I can pull off a DVD Marathon of the series.

Huzzah!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 am

Maybe it was in the IRC only, but I thought I mentioned the fact Bandai would complete releasing the subbed version by September?

Either way, that's great the series will be completed so soon, I just hope they won't do a rush job or anything like that.

Seeing as I don't watch Sci Fi that much, I was annoyed with how they treated the episodes with the frequent commercial breaks and rushing the OP...but I'm not affected to much by it since I have DVR and can always watch it that way. ;)

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I just hope they won't do a rush job or anything like that.

Too late. With grammar/spelling errors, a non-subtitled opening, a lack of 5.1 audio, and scores of fans unhappy with the translation, I'd say they definitely did a rush job. You can see all their complaints about it here
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Actually, it looks like most fans are pleased with the release in that thread. <_<
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:46 pm

Well, it was one of the threads at Animeondvd, I guess it wasn't that one.
Awesomely Shitty

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:47 pm

The Bastard King wrote:Actually, it looks like most fans are pleased with the release in that thread. <_<

Yeah, but that's this thread. If there's anything fans on the internet love to do, it's bitch and moan.

And then buy it anyway.
EDIT+++
I'm personally fairly please with this release, and with the translation. I like it better than what I remember of the ADV translation certainly.

Misspellings will most likely be cleared up for the second release. I actually may end up buying the second release depending on the extras.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”