Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:04 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:But does Eva want to be done with you? That's the real question.

This is the real reason I want Anno to just rip the Band-Aid off and conclude his series sooner rather than later.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:15 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:That being said, animation could very well have already commenced on Final depending on how much of the screenplay Anno is certain about. But the one thing we may have going for us is that it is still possible that Final may come out this year.

I don't think so. :/
Sushio, who will be one of the animators on the film said in...december I think, that the production hadn't started yet.
With the Animator Expo and all I don't think that they would be finished this year.
And Anno is probably the type of guy who would look at a year old script and think "This is crap" and rewrite it.
Plus, the storyboards have to be done, and the way he is talking about his depression I don't know if he has done that.
I alway want the film to come out earlier, but at this point I'm scared Anno will be tired of Eva and rush it out. I prefer him to take time and do it when he feels like doing it. Mybe the film will release in november 2016?
And then we would need to wait for the BD...(at least me).
TMBounty Hunter is secretly happy about all of this. :P
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:33 pm

April Fool's and Japan is nothing new, like robersora posted (forgot to mention that link earlier).

A twisted side of me hopes this is just an April Fool's joke, just so Anno can prove what an epic troll he really is. :devil: Reading this official letter, that pain he describes is all too real; I know I've been there in my own way.

I guess this Godzilla project wouldn't interfere with Animator Expo since it's only 30 shorts total?

Anyway, quick summary of the statement. A lot of this lines up with his most recent interviews about burn out and Animator Expo, so...Huh.

Just summarizing this was mentally draining. I seriously want to give the man a great big hug.

Anno statement wrote:Why do we decide to again make things? And why do we decide to daydream about making special effects films?

In December 2012, after Eva Q's premiere, I was broken. It's called, falling into a depressive state. For 6 years of again making Eva, my soul received its just desserts.

The start of 2013. For a period of a year, I went through mental distress, negative waves many times over flickered about. My responsibility as a representative, being burdened with work, I couldn't approach the Studio normally one time.

[Gonna summarize now because it gets looooong! Here he says he caused trouble for various people. He reached total exhaustion, but the help of his wife and his friends (Hayao Miyazaki, etc) gave him support.

In November that year (2013), because Shiro Sagisu's PV for his anime song collection was happening, anime seemed fun again. Because of the exhaustion of Eva, something other than that was needed, which is part of the real feelings behind Animator Expo.

In 2014, he finally could return to the Studio. Since a year his heart/spirit rehabilitated, he could return to work on anime. October that year was a project about him at the Tokyo International Film Festival, works he made back in his high school days made him happy/proved fortunate.]

And then, in 2015. Old Eva's 20th anniversary, already keeping people waiting for 2 years with Shin Eva (FINAL), turning towards its conclusion, something had to advance.

For the support of the people around me and the motivation from all anime fans with heading towards the conclusion, I truly thank you.

And, happiness towards everyone receiving Shin Eva's theatrical opening some time from now.

And all the while currently, daydreaming about special effects films I'll once again carry out.

It began at the end of January 2013.

[Summary of this next part was covered by ANN here: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-31/evangelion-hideaki-anno-is-new-japanese-godzilla-film-chief-director-writer/.86598

However, holding pride for working on this film, he'll put all his energy into this work and Shin Eva. In the present, he can do twists and turns of film direction/script content. (Seems to be referencing his lack of energy in recent years, but maybe what we can expect with Godzilla?) He wants people to understand even a little of the author's point (when Godzilla was made with the bomb metaphors?), about good intentions and ill will. While in this day and this age in Japan, wishing to understand that causes poor writing.]

Finally, with the support of the people surrounding me and all the support of fans/audience with again making film, once again you have my gratitude.

Thank you very much.

Director/Producer Hideaki Anno.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:49 pm

I love Anno.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

ANNO DIRECTING NEW Japanese GODZILLA!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:58 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ter/.86598
THIS IS LITERALLY THE GREATEST THING EVER!
Last edited by movieartman on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:02 pm

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/news_20150401.html

Hideaki Anno's comments on the new Evangelion film and the new Godzilla work

What we are trying to do this time.
Also, why I decided to make daydream like Tokusatsu film.

2012, December. After Eva Q opened to public I broke down.
As it is put, I became depressed.
Having cut pieces of my soul for six years in order to make Eva again it was a natural retribution.

2013 comes. It was a year when negative mental waves flooded over again and again. Studio of which I was presentative, studio that I burdened with my work, such studio I couldn't get close to even once.
My relationships to others and the world became weird, as if I was clothed by unrecovable exhaustion, and I was taken in by sense of decay and feeling of mental instability.

In the meantime I caused trouble for many people.

However, thanks to my wife and friends I was able to remain in this world - and I didn't walk away from animation: the voice work I received from Mr. Hayao Miyazaki and my friend creating a new work of the title that made me anime fan in the first place made this possible and helped me to cling on.
A sentai series continued by a friend also supported me as a tokusatsu fan.

Same year, November. Using Shiro Sagisu's PV Production as a hint I came up with plan for short animation anthology - because I yearned to experience the fun of anime and confirm that I like anime - in order to return to the animation scene.
At the same time I also felt it was necessary for the staff and studio battered by Eva production to work on something new that wasn't Eva.
This experiment, currently going on as Japan Animator Expo, is something I'm happy to have done.

2014, beginning. I was finally able to return to studio. Since then I've been returning to work on animation slowly over the year as a rehabilation. In October of the same year I was also happy to be able to honestly look back on my works from high school days onwards thanks to special screening at Tokyo International Film Festival.

And then, 2015. 20 years after broadcast of old Eva, after 2 years of keeping you waiting, work towards completion of New Evangelion Film project is somewhat progressing.
This is because people around me and all anime fans have given me motivation to work again towards the ending. I'm truly grateful to you.
Then, I'm happy if you could give me time for a while, untill the new Eva comes out.

Now at the same time I also create a new work that takes the shape of dreamlike tokusatsu film.
This started in end of January in 2013.

"We'd like you to be director of the new Godzilla film" was the direct request from people of Toho that I got.
"It's impossible. I also have to work on Eva, I can't do this" is how I declined on the spot, being mentally unstable to boot.
However, I was moved by Toho's sincerity and enthusiasm of co-director Shinji Higuchi and thus I ended up accepting the job in March of the same year.

Prayer of science fiction films in general and not only that of past works in continuity, the wishes I put in special effects museum, the wish to repay earlier authors and past works that embodied ideals for me, completing such intentions and responsibilities was the resulting conviction and for that I took the job.
I took the job as a one time challenge, as something I can't do except now, as something I can do because it's now.
I took the job as I realized I was in a state that I couldn't continue unless I took in a new work that wasn't Eva.

Same year, May, I decided what I wanted to depict in the work, what I ought to take as a subject.
And in June of the same year I submitted a proposal to Toho named "G-Work Memo" and started creating plot etc.

A science fiction world where Godzilla exists is not only caricature of reality filled in dreams and aspirations, it is also a satire and mirror image of reality. It is also a reckless experiment to try to depict that in contemporary Japan.
To be frank working in Japan where capital and production time is extremely small in comparison to the world there exists many limits on content and I can not know to just how large extent what is planned can be realized.

However, grasping the pride that belongs to a "film", hoping the resulting works will be at least a little bit interesting, I'm working full power on this and New Eva as the things the current I can do - direction of movies, content of screenplays etc. twists and turns as we're led down the current.

Whatever author writes it becomes a mere excuse, but more than obviously exposing myself for goodwill and badwill, I merely hope this helps you to understand at least a little bit why at this time and in this country I've opted to create fantasy like tokusatsu feature as representative of Japan - this is the final move in this badly written piece.

Finally I want to again express gratitude to all the people around me who've supported me as well as all the fans and audience members who have supported my works, making it possible for me to make films again.

Thank you.

Director-Producer Hideaki Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 pm

Awesome.
Awesome to the max.

Just hoping this isn't an elaborate April Fools.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:23 pm

^ Thanks!
Edit:
Now that I'm actually reading it, the fact that it begins with that "What we are trying to do" brings teh nostalgia.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:37 pm

Come celebrate these Peaceful Times with the rest of us! http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17296/Anno-is-writing-and-directing-a-Godzilla-movie/ :D

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:48 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Come celebrate these Peaceful Times with the rest of us! http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17296/Anno-is-writing-and-directing-a-Godzilla-movie/ :D

THANK YOU sorry I look for a thread and didn't see it.
Feel free to delete this one.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Poor Anno. Man, I just hope the man does what he needs to do.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Gaaah, took me maybe an hour of translating for what I did... -o-; Good job on your part, Xard!

@Freaky: Oh God, 100x that. He just has to focus on making himself happy again right now, and it sounds like Godzilla's a good way to do it.

I'm really empathizing too much with the poor guy here, a lot of his words can't help but remind me of the low points I've had myself throughout the years.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:21 pm

Yeah, this is pretty much the greatest news ever.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 pm

I am in a state beyond words.
godzilla is the legacy entertainment of my life, I have loved it sense I was a young child. Eva on the whole as of my first viewing in February of last year is the greatest piece of art or entertainment I have ever witnessed.
This is a gift... from god, the universe, reality itself.
This just utterly brightened up my whole existence.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm really empathizing too much with the poor guy here, a lot of his words can't help but remind me of the low points I've had myself throughout the years.

Never apologize for empathy, especially with somewhat kindred spirits.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:36 am

So. . . Animated? Live Action? Is Anno going to be fooling around in a rubber suit or is it going to be CGI like the 2014 Godzilla? ?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:53 am

I would assume live action with tokusatsu effects. It would be tremendously weird for Anno to get onboard a Gojira movie and not indulge his tokusatsu hard-on for all that it's worth.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 am

Well im hyped.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:21 am

Last night I started showing people that God Warrior short film in front of Eva Q as a taste of what we might see in Anno's Godzilla movie. I know the roles of Anno and Higuchi were swapped for that movie, but I will expect it to share many similarities.

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:28 am

Man I was so happy when I read than Anno almost drop de Rebuid Series (Please Anno drop that Shit).

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 am

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:Man I was so happy when I read than Anno almost drop de Rebuid Series (Please Anno drop that Shit).

No. However I can't not like this news. I love Godzilla, I love Anno, put the together, whats not to like? You can do it ANNO!!!!!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”