[Anime] Gundam shit [SPLIT]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Gundam Unicorn

Too bad it's a serial novel instead of an anime or manga. Then we'd be able to see it over here.

However, they DID say that if the novel does well, then MAYBE they might make an adaptation.

Zeon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:28 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

Yeah, they better make Gundam Unicorn at least into an OVA/movie. The mecha designs are too sweet to just be in a book. And the need to make models (Master Grade plz) almost goes without saying.
"I've never had any cherished dreams or ambitions. I don't aspire to any future profession or career."

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:36 pm

The great thing about the Unicorn's normal mode and several of the grunt suits is that they almost look halfway plausible- well, as plausible as you can get when you're dealing with huge goddamn robots in the far future- which is something we haven't seen since what, 08th MS Team?

I've always preferred the "plausible" look when it comes to mechs- I find Patlabor's Ingrams more interesting than Great Mazinger (Although Mazinger and Getter Robo do look pretty damn cool, mainly because Go Nagai seems to be one of the few people who can design super robots without making them look overly outlandish.)

<-Captain Goto owns you.

Zeon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:47 pm

Oh yeah, Patlabor has great designs. And yes, I'd take the rugged military Gundam designs over the deluxe, flashy ones any day.
"I've never had any cherished dreams or ambitions. I don't aspire to any future profession or career."

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Just remember- Patlabor 2 is the greatest anime film of the early '90's. [/Mamoru Oshii whore]

And I agree- the rugged Gundam designs are definitely the best, because they're closer to the "spirit" of the overall concept.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Patlabors are awesome, even when falling down or malfunctioning in hideous ways.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:14 am

Patlabors are great because we see them malfunctioning.

Whereas Gundam started "real robots", Patlabor took the concept to its logical end point.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:59 pm

Zeon wrote:Lots of stereotypes in G Gundam. Tequila Gundam, anyone?

Though now I remembered that Andrew Graham did work on a space station. Point for them.

Everything is wrong with it. The whole cast is made up of emotionally detached scene kids and they're unbearable. It's not at all about being macho, it's about being interesting. Treize was pretty awesome, though. Zechs was okay (but still a Char clone).
]

...? I'm not getting it. The pilots were distinct characters to me; only Trowa and Heero qualified as "emotionally detached". Sometimes the five struck me as a little too revered, a little too powerful, but it was nothing I couldn't live with.

GW wasn't much of a philosophical show to me, though. It was more about characters with varying types of bone-headed ideals, with little sense of self-awareness or nuance. It's more of an idealized show than traditional Gundam.

I didn't mind finding out that Zechs was a "Char clone"; it's just never bothered me.

I think it's because, after getting to know more Gundam, there's a lot of repetition of Gundam "archetypes", almost like it's become a tradition of the franchise, so I consider myself desensitized to it.

The movies are even better presented than the series so you're not really missing much (just filler). Instead of watching First Gundam again, go for Zeta!

Actually, I forgot to mention that I *have* seen most of Zeta. I picked up the whole set (the separate DVD releases, not the earlier box) for $150 CAD last summer.

Though I haven't finished the run, my opinions are mixed. It seemed to repeat a lot of the character tropes from First Gundam, even when the same characters from 0079 appeared.

chee wrote:And I agree- the rugged Gundam designs are definitely the best, because they're closer to the "spirit" of the overall concept.

I'm such a design nut that I like both styles. Even the really ridiculous ones like the Wing Zero Custom. I was just going, "...pretty". :P

I dunno: to me "Gundam" is whatever is officially labeled as such. It doesn't have to follow the tone of the original.
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:10 pm

I recently saw Endless Waltz, and all I can say is PTTHBLBPBLTH.

I can't say I hold high hopes for Gundam 00, but i'll try and withold judgement until I see it.

One day, they're going to make a Gundam show where the pilots are all moeblobs.

I HATE moeblobs.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:13 pm

chee wrote:One day, they're going to make a Gundam show where the pilots are all moeblobs.

It's called Sky Girls.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”