Third Impact Has Arrived

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Third Impact Has Arrived

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:48 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Is it possible to make the banner clickable and make it return you to the forum home screen? I find this very useful in other sites.

Seconding this, if it's possible!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:36 pm

OK, OK - I'll sort that. There's some logic to check through to make sure there's no conflict with the links that are overlaid on it, though; links can't be nested, so it probably needs some JavaScript to do it properly. In the first instance I could make the forum titles the link back.

EDIT:

The forum title is now a link back to the index page. Making the whole banner a link will be considerably more work, and I'll look at that later (too tied up with other things for a few days right now).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:24 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The forum title is now a link back to the index page.
It is a link back to the current page rather than to the forum root, because it's currently

Code: Select all

<a class="egf-link-back" href="">

rather than

<a class="egf-link-back" href="/">

Putting

<div class="headerbar" role="banner" onclick="location.href='/';">

along with

div.headerbar { cursor: pointer; }

should do what is wanted -- it just won't show in the url hover preview in e.g. Firefox
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Meh - it works on my test instance, and I wrote the code to be transferable across the different forum URLs without change.

<a class="egf-link-back" href="/">
would be wrong on my test instance because the forum's not at the root of the domain; the code is actually

<a class="egf-link-back" href="{U_SITE_HOME}">
to pick up the home URL. I'll try to work out what's gone wrong...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:41 pm

OK, the required code to do that generally was actually a bit more complicated:

<a class="egf-link-back" href="<!-- IF U_SITE_HOME -->{U_SITE_HOME}<!-- ELSE -->{U_INDEX}<!-- ENDIF -->">

I'd found the later code you offered, but was going to try it out here first. Of course, it will require the same adjustment.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Going to

http://forum.evageeks.org/
takes you to the same content as at

http://forum.evageeks.org/index.php
, because the server defaults have been set up sensibly, in the same way that specifying index.html/index.htm is never required. But just to be certain, I tested this first by editing the link using the built in tools in Firefox, before my previous post, and it "just worked"™. Ditto testing the onclick behaviour.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:07 pm

It now all works using the combination of your onclick code and my corrected code. You get to see the URL over part of the sensitive area at least (because I've left the <a> in place round the title), and the code transfers between my test forum and the live instance without flaw, whether http or https.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm using Chrome and it's working fine. Thanks a lot! I know it's a minor improvement but having the whole banner as a "home button" of sorts is quite practical.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:14 pm

I apologize if someone already asked this... but what is with having to click twice on everything? Like notification, you go to one and it shows you it, then you go to the next one and it loads the same page you're on, then you need to go click it again to go to the different notification.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:27 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:but what is with having to click twice on everything? Like notification, you go to one and it shows you it, then you go to the next one and it loads the same page you're on, then you need to go click it again to go to the different notification.

I get extremely few notifications ever so I haven't run into this so I don't know what's wrong there if anything. Anybody else experiencing this?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:09 am

I don't use notifications, as I've never been able to make sense of them. I just click on "unread posts" and go from there, and I don't have to double click anything when I do.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”