EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:18 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:what I mean to say is dogpiling your opponents with half of the forum is an unwarranted gesture

This is pretty basic courtesy, the disregard for which was probably the most obnoxious part of the SD forum. An unpopular opinion would be posited and then five or six people would throw their two cents at this one user. No one wants to have six arguments at once. So a majority of the forum managed to kill any discussion there all on their own.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:19 pm

If someone says something that you disagree with, you should, in principle, be able to voice your disagreement. The question to ask yourself first is not, IMO, "how many people have already responded to this person?", but "have any of them already made the same point(s) that I intend to make?" If your post would not actually add anything new (and, no, variations upon "QFT" and "+1" do not qualify), then, yes, it would be better to abstain. If, on the other hand, no one has gone where you intend to go? I can't think of a good reason why a novel voice should be suppressed, especially as this helps defy the notion that a body of disagreement is some sort of monolithic tribal entity.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Yes, if someone says something you disagree with, then yes you should voice your opinion. Having a logical and calm discussion is the best way to go.

However, when it's the same people always going after those with the opposing opinions, and they build off of each other's arguments and respond one after the other in sequence, in what some could consider ganging up on one person who may or may not be trying to voice thier own opinion in a constructive manner, then it appears as Glor said, the forum collapsing on top of one person's opinion.

One could even go so far to say that the ganging up tactics caused several people to go off the rails and end up getting banned whether temporarily or permanently, at least IMO.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Yes, it was very frustrating.

That said, at this point complaining about it is rather moot. Or at least, there's no point in doing it here rather than at SD's new home, if you feel so inclined to follow it.

I feel no such compulsion.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 pm

An equally valid reading is that many of those with unpopular opinions persisted in repeatedly expressing them, while showing little to no proclivity toward engaging in discussion, whether it be to a single respondent or to a dogpile of them. One with strong convictions can hardly be blamed for attempting damage control, especially given the current climate of ignorance and misinformation.

A full consideration of all players is required in order to reflect properly and fairly on what went wrong. You can't balance an equation by looking only at one side.

Nor can misbehavior be corrected by pointing the finger somewhere else. Nobody MADE anyone go off the rails. Showing responsibility for one's own actions is a prerequisite for expecting anyone else to do the same.

Not sure what bans you're talking about. Hard to address anything in a meaningful way when there are no specifics.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:46 am

The tangent here has gotten out of hand and hence banished to the trash heap. Let's keep any further discussion here about the site not about each other's posting habits from here on out.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Since a forum effectively does not exist apart from its members, those members in general are an inherent part of this discussion. Obviously personal slurs or attacks are never acceptable; but talking in principle about tolerance for the means of expression used by others or suggesting asking for clarification rather than displaying intolerance are things that might well be useful from time to time.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:33 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Since a forum effectively does not exist apart from its members, those members in general are an inherent part of this discussion. Obviously personal slurs or attacks are never acceptable; but talking in principle about tolerance for the means of expression used by others or suggesting asking for clarification rather than displaying intolerance are things that might well be useful from time to time.

...especially since I now can't give the clarification Bagheera asked about. My post was also not an attack on anyone, merely an advice on how to improve one's posts and general discussion atmosphere. I find it dismaying that it was interpreted as an attack by a Mod. :???:

And yeah, it is an advice that I sometimes ignore myself... :D
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”