Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Studio Ghibli

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Anyone else here a fan of Studio Ghibli's films?

Nausicaä, Laputa, Grave of the Fireflies, Totoro, Kiki, Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke are all favorites of mine. Sprited Away is beyond overrated and doesn't deserve all the credit it gets. Howl and Ponyo as well (Maybe Miyazaki should have stuck to his retirement plan after Mononoke... Just saying.) His colleague Isao Takahata needs more credit. He's just as good a director as Miyazaki is.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:59 pm

You'll probably be hard pressed to find anyone who dislikes Ghibli's films on this board, from what I've noticed. :lol:

And I heartily disagree with you on Spirited Away. I'd actually consider it Miyazaki's best film done after Porco Rosso. His use of colors and shading, overall form, and how all of this sculpted a unique and incredibly immersive atmosphere is unparalleled in the context of the rest of his films. Even Princess Mononoke didn't come close to the level of atmospheric versatility and development as is present in Spirited Away.

There's nothing wrong with disliking it, but I'd certainly list it as one of Miyazaki's strongest efforts alongside Laputa and Rosso.

Miyazaki aside, I think Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday don't get enough attention. Though I guess it'd help if Only Yesterday got a broader release; I saw it once on TCM a few years ago, but have been unable to locate a Region 1 DVD. It's too bad too, because it's a brilliant film.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:15 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:You'll probably be hard pressed to find anyone who dislikes Ghibli's films on this board, from what I've noticed. :lol:

And I heartily disagree with you on Spirited Away. I'd actually consider it Miyazaki's best film done after Porco Rosso. His use of colors and shading, overall form, and how all of this sculpted a unique and incredibly immersive atmosphere is unparalleled in the context of the rest of his films. Even Princess Mononoke didn't come close to the level of atmospheric versatility and development as is present in Spirited Away.

There's nothing wrong with disliking it, but I'd certainly list it as one of Miyazaki's strongest efforts alongside Laputa and Rosso.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Spirited Away. It is a very beautiful film but that's not enough for me. All of Miyazaki's other films were beautifully animated and had a story that wasn't underwhelming.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Uhh..
How do I say this..

I'm familiar with many of studio Ghibli's films but I have never ever seen one of them properly. (meaning for more than a few minutes)

I mean sure one time Kiki's Delivery Service was on TV but I didn't watch for more than a few minutes. And I even have Spirited Away on a legit DVD but Haven't watched it. And one of the first anime I planned to watch was Grave of the Fireflies, but for some reason I never got around to watching that either.

For the record, I don't like watching anime movies much for some reason. I watched TGWLTT a little while ago, and before that the only movie I watched was 2.22.

And this will probably sound extremely idiotic, so I apologize, but one of the things I find appealing in anime is how often it isn't in the gray area between for kids or adults. It's R rated, period.
Most Ghibli movies come off to me as being similar to the Pixar/Disney "Fun for the whole family!" or "Not only for the children!" style.

A case of mature anime for mature people such as myself? Maybe, I don't know.

But I promise I'll watch GoTF soon enough.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Studio Ghibli is only anime studio that doesn't produce pure shit

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:35 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Studio Ghibli is only anime studio that doesn't produce pure shit

What about our beloved Gaina- (Oh wait...FLCL and TTGL...never mind.)

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

And it was fucking awesome. I... I cried at the end.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:04 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:And this will probably sound extremely idiotic, so I apologize, but one of the things I find appealing in anime is how often it isn't in the gray area between for kids or adults. It's R rated, period.
Most Ghibli movies come off to me as being similar to the Pixar/Disney "Fun for the whole family!" or "Not only for the children!" style.

APOLOGY DENIED, BITCH.

Have you even seen any Pixar movies? Don't judge a movie by it's trailer; Toy Story 3 was one of the darkest movies I've seen this year. Seriously.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:19 pm

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:What about our beloved Gaina- (Oh wait...FLCL and TTGL...never mind.)

:fistshake:

Killer Bee wrote:Have you even seen any Pixar movies?

Yeah sure, loads of them. (When I was 13)

I think the last film I've seen that was in a similar vein to what Pixar produces is
Bolt, and that was pretty meh.

Actually I guess TTGL is related, because I avoided watching that for a while because I thought it'd be something fairly childish, but turned out to be great.

My loss I guess. Maybe some day I'll get around to it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Ghibli -- or to be precise Laputa, shown at the local art-house cinema as a part of a Japanese film season c 2000 is what really tipped me into getting back into anime; and it's still my favourite, despite the awful dubtitles on the first DVD issue.

That said, I find their films a bit hit and miss : Howl and Earthsea were dreadful, I didn't care for Mononoke Hime at all; and I haven't been at all tempted by Ponyo. I've not gone back to all the early films.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:34 pm

On a side note, I'd like to also mention (praise) Miyazaki and Takahata's pre-Ghibli work. Puss in Boots, Horus, Heidi, Anne of Green Gables and Lupin the lll are in my opnion, just as good as their later work.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Studio Ghibli is only anime studio that doesn't produce pure shit

THIS. Despite one barely decent (Earthsea) and one very bad (Pom Poko) film Ghibli is the most consistently good studio around.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:43 pm

Ghibli and Pixar are the only good reasons worth living.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:06 am

People be trollin' in this thread.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:07 am

View Original PostDevRei17 wrote:What about our beloved Gaina- (Oh wait...FLCL and TTGL...never mind.)

*bleep* YOU!!! FLCL AND GURREN LAGANN ARE AWESOMESAUCE!!! :explode:
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:41 pm

TOPIC, BITCHES
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:43 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:TOPIC, BITCHES

I missed these words <3

Tines, have you seen Porco Rosso? I very much recommend it from Miyazaki's "older" films. Might be the best one

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:57 pm

View Original PostXard wrote: Tines, have you seen Porco Rosso?
Yes, I have. It's a toss up as to whether I rate that or Nausicaa as second to Laputa.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:08 pm

I would say that the one movie that's truly overrated is Laputa. It was a while since I watched it so I've kinda forgotten the story, but I do remember that it struck me as a rather simpleminded rush to the end compared to Miyazaki's other films.
My favorites are probably Spirited Away and Nausicaa. They were fantastico.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:11 pm

I actually downloaded Luputa a couple weeks ago. Haven't watched it though. I downloaded it after a comparison between it and the new Bioshock Infinite game.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Of the action/adventure movies I have seen, Laputa is far and above the best. In every department. Even Indiana Jones has nothing on Laputa. It's easily the most fun, most imaginative, perfectly paced adventure movie quite possibly in existence. And that's not even touching on its visual eye-feast (lolGhibli anyway) and thematic subtleties.

IMHO :lol:

@Irken: You probably won't be disappointed. Although I don't know how much one can compare it to Bioshock... Bioshock was more like a 30spunk or "artdeco -punk" game from what I remember. Laputa is more like "typical lolMiyazakipunk".
:shrug:

@Rodeo: I love me some Nausicaa, but then dat ending... Although the ending God Warrior sequence was stunning even for Ghibli, no thanks in part to Anno's mind-boggling animation. I'd just like to someday see a longer adaptation of the manga...

Return to “Anime and Manga”