Please Help Me Out With Second Impact

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
pHasE _4!
Embryo

Please Help Me Out With Second Impact

•      
  •      

Postby pHasE _4! » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:21 am

Theres really some stuff that just don't make sense to me in Eva. But i'm sure you guys would know.

So Second Impact occured. Adam, the being of light that pretty much looks identical to the Evas in structure at this stage gets awaken. He generates an anti-AT Field that virtually destroys the antarctica entirly with all the scientists as well.

Now, this i beleive was called the Contact Experiment. Here is where it goes pair-shaped & my knowledge is incomplete. From my understanding from what i've heard, they were trying to reduce Adam to an embryonic state for a reason that i'm not sure of (i guess to clone/create the Evas from and he would make for better mobility in this state?).

But how was it possible that they were supposed to reduce him, but he sends out this AT Field destroying all scientists, but yet afterwards he IS in embryonic state when delivered to Gendo. Who reduced him afterwards? What happened to Adam just after the whole wing story happened(which i also dont get the reason for?). Why is he light?? What makes him different to other Angels? :? :cry: :? :cry:

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:40 am

They wanted to turn him into a Bakelite to trigger THird Impact when it came in contact with Lillith. Adam intiated second impact when his wings spread and then turned into the bakelite. He is light for effect, there really si no reason and he is the first angel, the "mother" of the angels.

pHasE _4!
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pHasE _4! » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:36 am

Bakelite? You mean the plastic like chemical compound? How would that have initiated third impact? So you saying that the over-exertion of his AT Fiel caused him to change into an embryo as well as fuse himself into Bakelite?

Things are getting more confusing now? :roll:

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:15 am

As near as we can tell, Adam was subjected to some bizarre "Contact Experiment" which went hugely wrong. Adam "awoke" and tried to leave the antarctic geofront. Then Adam was stopped or contained most likely by an Anti-AT Field, subjected on him somehow by either the dying expidition team, or by someone else, most likely SEELE. This apparently reduced Adam to an embryo, which was subsequently encased in bakelite(TM).

as a further interesting twist in this mysterious sequence of events it appears that SEELE and Gendou knew that all this was going to occur, and yet let the expidition team carry out the experiment anyway.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

K2Grey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:22 am

According to Misato in EoE, Second Impact was caused intentionally by SEELE in order to hide him away before the Angels awoke. So, perhaps SEELE were reading their Dead Sea Scrolls and were aware that the Angels were about to show up, but they at that time were not yet ready. So they triggered Second Impact in order to reduce Adam into an embryo, in order to delay the awakening of the Angels to until they had developed the Evas and the other technologies and structures necessary to fight the Angels. In the process, a lot of stuff is blown up, because this is an anime and hence all important things must occur concurrently with explosions.

pHasE _4!
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pHasE _4! » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:32 am

K2Grey wrote:According to Misato in EoE, Second Impact was caused intentionally by SEELE in order to hide him away before the Angels awoke. So, perhaps SEELE were reading their Dead Sea Scrolls and were aware that the Angels were about to show up, but they at that time were not yet ready. So they triggered Second Impact in order to reduce Adam into an embryo, in order to delay the awakening of the Angels to until they had developed the Evas and the other technologies and structures necessary to fight the Angels. In the process, a lot of stuff is blown up, because this is an anime and hence all important things must occur concurrently with explosions.

Delay the awakening of the angels? So if I'm understanding this correctly; we as the viewer have no idea where the angels actually come from. The only proof are the Dead Sea Scroll porphecies referring to their arrival?

Do you actaully think that Second Impact was actually well thought through. I cant help but feel that it is flawed majorly, and we as die-hard Eva fans are just way too appreciative of everything else to notice this flaw.

Another thing that comes to mind is this:(in the dub)~ They say:
"Cut that surface light, Adam is EXCEEDING the expected growth limitation!", & "The Lance, put in the Lance!".

So my question is this, what was Adam's structure supposed to have been before he "exceeded growth limitation" & what parallel is there between wanting to put the Lance in Adam & when it is later in Lilith as well?

I hope I'm not putting you guys on the spot here? Its just so hard to fathom.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:20 am

Dubs, dubs. I told you before about dubs and the perversion of the original message. Here are the scripts for episode 21'. The translation is a mix of LTP with something else, has a lot of Bochan_bird marks here and there.

The quote, according to these scripts is:

Male voice: It's surpassing calculated predictions!

Male voice: Block out surface ligths!

<Female voice: Emergency... Emergency...>

Female voice: The DNA that dived into Adam is physically uniting!

<Female Voice: All personnel put on your protective cloting.>

<Female Voice: Workers below level two please evacuate to upper area of Central
Dogma.>

<Female Voice: All AT Fields have gone down.>

Male Voice: The Lance! Pull back the Lance!

Male Voice: We can't! The floor isn't holding up!

Male voice: It's sinking!

Male voice: We have to prevent further damage as much as possible!

Male voice: Break down the atomic structure, but keep it within the
quark range! Hurry!

Female voice: When the Gauf doors open, start the cooling!

<Male voice: Amazing! It's starting to walk!>

Male voice: Even if only for half a second, we have to put an anti-AT
field around him!

<Male voice: The conversion system is already set!
Countdown has been activated!>

Female voice: Get enough energy to generate an anti-AT Field!

<Female voice: The S2 engine and the explosve system are being
linked! We can't stop it!>

Male voice: The wings are spreading! It's going to surface!

Typo errors are my fault. I transcribed these from fansubs and always forget to pass it through word's correction.

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:40 am

K2Grey wrote:According to Misato in EoE, Second Impact was caused intentionally by SEELE in order to hide him away before the Angels awoke. So, perhaps SEELE were reading their Dead Sea Scrolls and were aware that the Angels were about to show up, but they at that time were not yet ready. So they triggered Second Impact in order to reduce Adam into an embryo, in order to delay the awakening of the Angels to until they had developed the Evas and the other technologies and structures necessary to fight the Angels.

I figured that SEELE wanted to construct Evas from his DNA, but didn't want him attacking man the way the other angels would, so they had Adam reduced to an embryo ahead of time.

That test type footage suggests that they can construct evas' without reducing the parent angel to an embryo, so that could mean that what happened to Adam was deliberate. Or maybe they were able to keep Lillith passive because they learnt something from Adam.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:58 am

HERE is a thread where this issue was discussed for a couple of pages. The important revelation is that all the translators have been simplifying the phrase "contact experiment with a human body" into "contact experiment".
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

pHasE _4!
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pHasE _4! » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:17 am

I am officially not in any position to be among you all :oops: :oops: .
I've just realised that i know nothing much about this Second Impact issue, let alone Eva as a whole! You all win, dubs suck! Oh God how they suck!!!

I'm just wondering bout these Bochan Bird translations. Can they be found on official Eva releases or are they purely his own subs. Can someone clarify who is Bochan Bird. I've heard a lot about him, but clearly I dont KNOW him. How do i get hold of the REAL, MOST INFORMATIVE VERSION OF EVA!!!!!!

The embarrassment is not leaving me. Oh Hell DUBS SUCK!! :!: & ANOTHER :!: :!: for the road. :oops:

I knew that Kaworu had a connection to Adam, but i never knew that it was actually during S.I. that they were 'cloning' him. The question is, who's DNA formed the human part of Kaworu? That pretty much explains why him and Rei have that albino-like look. I understood 'contact' as being related to contact with the Lance. It still bugs me why it was necessary to create Kaworu & Rei in the first place?

Please forgive my limited knowledge on these things.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:25 pm

Dubs aren't inherently evil, though the Eva dubs could have been better. When it comes to arguing in-depth points about anything, the most authoritative texts are original transcriptions recorded in the original language.

Punio4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Punio4 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:21 pm

how does the lance of longinus fit in now?
in this shot, i can clearly see what i think is adam (but maybe its lilith) with the lance sticking out of his/her back...
IMAGE SIGNATURE NO BAD

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:52 pm

Punio4 wrote:how does the lance of longinus fit in now?
in this shot, i can clearly see what i think is adam (but maybe its lilith) with the lance sticking out of his/her back...

I believe that's Lillith, but I could be wrong. It just...looks a lot more like Lillith than Adam, to me. That, and they did stick the lance through Lillith to keep her from regenerating.
i AM the internets.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:07 pm

sachiel wrote:
Punio4 wrote:how does the lance of longinus fit in now?

I believe that's Lillith, but I could be wrong. It just...looks a lot more like Lillith than Adam, to me. That, and they did stick the lance through Lillith to keep her from regenerating.

The parkas should give it away that this is Antarctica. It's Adam.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:15 pm

Question. Are we sure that's the Lance of Longinus sticking out the back of Adam? It could be another lance altogether.... or icy stalagmites.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:26 pm

thewayneiac wrote:
sachiel wrote:

The parkas should give it away that this is Antarctica. It's Adam.

Nahh, I'm pretty sure that's Lillith. Those images were flashed in quick succession in episode 23, and the other times you saw that angel during that sequence, it was Lillith. Moving from one angel to the other that quickly would be deliberatley confusing.

'Course, this is Eva...

EDIT: Then again, that does look like the lance, and they didn't have it when they were excavating Lillith...

Punio4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Punio4 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:44 am

nah, definetly sure it's the lance...
the shot is extremly similar to other shot on the antartica... and this is reffered as the "contact experiment"

"Male Voice: The Lance! Pull back the Lance!"

so is the contact experiment actually the process of initiating contact between the lance and an angel?
IMAGE SIGNATURE NO BAD

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:52 am

No, it can't be. The contact experiments involving Yui and Asuka's mum took place while the lance was still (supposedly) in the Antartic.

Punio4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Punio4 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:10 am

i didnt mean those... you are right... but that was after... i meant the thing that triggered the 2nd impact is alo reffered as "contact experiment"...
to be more specific, the contact between the lance and adam... ill shorten it for you:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Female voice: The DNA that dived into Adam is physically uniting!

Male Voice: The Lance! Pull back the Lance!

Male Voice: We can't! The floor isn't holding up!

Male voice: It's sinking!

and now, look at the picture:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
makes sense now? the DNA that is mentioned is probably the one of the lance, since the lance itself is organic... this leads us back to one of the most frequently asked questions... what exactly IS the lance...
IMAGE SIGNATURE NO BAD

Phoenix Feet
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Phoenix Feet » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:38 am

I see what you're getting at now. That does make sense, but why would the use the same name for 2 different experiments?

Also, we don't know that the dialouge and that picture match up. It doesn't look like the lance has been properly dug out there.

What was the connection between the lance and the tree of life? Were they trying to remove the lance because they thought it would take away Adam's power?

This is getting messy...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”