Best order in which to watch Haruhi Suzumiya?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Best order in which to watch Haruhi Suzumiya?

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 am

I just got this series and I was told that it has different viewing orders, so, in your opinion, which one do you think is the best way to get more out of it?

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:52 am

You should watch it in the order it was originally aired on TV. It's good either way, but the original TV order is the best way to go.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:56 am

The first 14 episodes work better in original broadcast order.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:06 am

Both.

TV order makes the most sense IMO.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:24 am

You should always watch things in the order in which they were produced.

Would you ever tell someone who had never seen Star Wars to watch them in order, I to VI?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:58 am

Ignore the anime and read the novels. The series was made by Kyoto Animation, who make a living off bastardizing the source material.

Fuck you, KyoAni.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:36 pm

DVD order. The broadcast order was just a gimick. The DVD order is in chronological order, like the novels. The only problem is that episodes 1-6 are the really plot-heavy episodes, while 7-14 are mostly seen as filler (but entertaining filler nonetheless).
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:41 pm

The broadcast order might be a bit gimmicky, but that sort of craziness fits perfectly to the first season. Just be mentally prepared for Endless Eight.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:52 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:The broadcast order might be a bit gimmicky, but that sort of craziness fits perfectly to the first season. Just be mentally prepared for Endless Eight.

The novels only showed the end of it.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Broadcast order is an absolute must. It's the intended order; switching it into chronological order for home video was a failed gimmick. Also, note that the episodes that need to be in chronological order relative to each order are so ordered.

Broadcast order:

11, 1, 2, 7, 3, 9, 8, 10, 14, 4, 13, 12, 5, 6

Episodes 1-6, in red, are the major arc from the part of the story that was animated for season 1. The rest of the episodes, with the execption of the 2 part 9-10, which I've bolded, are all stand alone episodes, and their order doesn't matter. When you watch in chronological order, not only is the show shockingly front loaded and anti-climactic, it also ceases to make sense when they drop hints about what went on in the earlier episodes. In effect, they are trying not to reveal too much about things you've already seen! A show's thrilling climax should be at the end, not the midway point. But the midway point is exactly where it is in chronological order. When they cousulted the original author about this problem, he suggested this episode order.

Note on the above episode order: I used the 1-14 system that was used in the original broadcast. The video version not only re-orders the episodes, it also re-numbers them from 1-14 to 0-13. so now some of the episodes have three numbers. Thank you Kadokawa! They did this to cover up the fact that ep. 11 still comes first, with its number changed to zero. It's the rest of the eps. that have been switched to chronological order.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:17 pm

The best order is to watch episodes 1-6 and skip the rest.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Absolutely broadcast order. After that you can watch it any way you please but broadcast order (as wayne pointed out) is the way to experience it the first time.

Also, if you get your hands on them, do read the novels as they're very, very good. The show is quite faithful to them with the exception of EE but there are other subtle insights into the characters gleaned from Kyon's narration.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:14 am

View Original PostZapX wrote:Absolutely broadcast order. After that you can watch it any way you please but broadcast order (as wayne pointed out) is the way to experience it the first time.

I watched the series in DVD order the first time, and I liked it well enough. Broadcast order seems needlessly confusing, to me. This ain't Boogiepop Phantom.

They even re-broadcasted season one in chronological order when they aired season two, so I think "broadcast order" was a one-time gimick.

View Original PostZapX wrote:Also, if you get your hands on them, do read the novels as they're very, very good. The show is quite faithful to them

Faithful, aside from the fact that the order of events is different than it was in the novels...
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:46 am

Endless Eight first, of course.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:28 am

Broad cast order, by miles. Even if the first episode is a huge troll, its worth it, even if just so you get a real climax, which I found satisfying.

I think 1st season of Haruhi might be only anime where at the end I felt completely happy with how it ended the second I finished it, and wouldnt mind it if it didnt continue after that because it gets wrapped up very nicely.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:04 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Absolutely broadcast order. After that you can watch it any way you please but broadcast order (as wayne pointed out) is the way to experience it the first time.

Also, if you get your hands on them, do read the novels as they're very, very good. The show is quite faithful to them with the exception of EE but there are other subtle insights into the characters gleaned from Kyon's narration.

Faithful? What anime are you watching?
/hj

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:17 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Faithful? What anime are you watching?

I'm tired of this stupid bs you've been spewing out for god knows how long.

we get it, endless eight raped your mother or something.

big deal.

get over with it.

or you could argue why haruhi adaptation is oh so terrible

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:07 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm tired of this stupid bs you've been spewing out for god knows how long.

we get it, endless eight raped your mother or something.

big deal.

get over with it.

or you could argue why haruhi adaptation is oh so terrible

Endless Eight was fine. They just made Tsuruya say Nyoro~n in Season 2.

And Nyoro~n Churuya-San is outright soul-raping if you suffer from Fictional Character Attraction for Tsuruya.

And Kyon's Sister sucks. Why take out Tsuruya, then add in Kyon's Sister whenever possible?

And yes, I know my reasoning is stupid. I'm really just a butthurt little prick who keeps thinking this is sos-dan.com.
/hj

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 pm

Endless Eight was amazing simply for the scene during the last episode when Kyon goes batshit insanesuggests they do their homework.

In fact, forget watching Endless Eight first. Watch the first seven episodes of Endless Eight, loop them for a month of viewing or so in random order, than play the last episode.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Speaking seriously, I would say to watch season one in broadcast (non-chronological) order first. You will get the same experience that people watching back in 2007 did as it aired, and I have to believe that it was part of the reason for Haruhi mania.

Return to “Anime and Manga”