Best order in which to watch Haruhi Suzumiya?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Endless Eight was fine. They just made Tsuruya say Nyoro~n in Season 2.

And Nyoro~n Churuya-San is outright soul-raping if you suffer from Fictional Character Attraction for Tsuruya.

And Kyon's Sister sucks. Why take out Tsuruya, then add in Kyon's Sister whenever possible?

And yes, I know my reasoning is stupid. I'm really just a "spank me" little prick who keeps thinking this is sos-dan.com.

Sorry, I never saw season 2, could you explain these points in more detail?

drinian wrote:and I have to believe that it was part of the reason for Haruhi mania.

I could have sworn that solid source material was the reason... (Sorry, I'm not anti-broadcast order or anything, I just think it's highly overrated.)
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Sorry, I never saw season 2, could you explain these points in more detail?

I could have sworn that solid source material was the reason... (Sorry, I'm not anti-broadcast order or anything, I just think it's highly overrated.)

Even in season one, Tsuruya was cut out whenever possible. Then, they added Kyon's Sister to Remote Island Syndrome.

As for Nyoro~n, you have to see the utter horror of it to understand.

By the way, *spank me*?
lolwut
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 am

Where was Tsuruya-san cut out? My memory of the series is kinda fuzzy, since I watched the first season back when it first came out in America, and I read the first two novels right when they came out, too (so, over a year ago). In fact, is there a list of the differences between the books and the show somewhere online?

Oh, Churuya-san. Yeah, I remember hearing about THAT. Wasn't that Suzumiya Haruhi-chan thing pretty bad, too?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:21 am

Churuya-san is awesome. Haruhi-chan is quite good as well. Extremely hilarious if you can drop your SRS BUSINESS attitude.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:As for Nyoro~n, you have to see the utter horror of it to understand.

I just bought some smoked cheese today, nyoro~n

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:I just bought some smoked cheese today, nyoro~n

SMOCHI BANZAI
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 am

Broadcast order, first
Chronological order, second
Director's cut episodes 21'-24', third
End of Haruhi Suzumiya, fourth
All non-Endless Eight episodes, fifth
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, sixth
Take a giant shit on all Endless Eight episodes, and then jettison them into space, seventh.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:28 pm

As usual, Brik has the definitive answer.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Broadcast order, first
Chronological order, second
Director's cut episodes 21'-24', third
End of Haruhi Suzumiya, fourth
All non-Endless Eight episodes, fifth
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, sixth
Take a giant shit on all Endless Eight episodes, and then jettison them into space, seventh.

director's cut episodes? wat

also, what is end of Haruhi Suzumiya?

I also think EE must be seen before Disappearance for plot reasons (albeit 1,2, 8 eps are enough)

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 pm

also, what is end of Haruhi Suzumiya?

It's where haruhi gets giant and naked before turning everyone into cat pee, Also Kyon and Nagato fight the Ryoko Asakura production models which is badass. Also Mikuru gets her eye poked out by the data entity and needs to wear an eyepatch after that.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Went something like this.

Then this.

View Original PostCOACH wrote:In fact, is there a list of the differences between the books and the show somewhere online?

Go here, click an episode, read the Trivia section. Not much was changed. Mostly omitted scenes, anime references, and parts of Remote Island Syndrome.

None of the novels that prominently feature Tsuruya have been animated. She also says "nyoro" in the Japanese version of the books. Trust me on this. Everyone who's been here 2 years or more knows how big a Tsuruya fan I am.
Last edited by ZapX on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:02 pm

:lol:

and here I went "loleva jokes" > oh wait what tines post srs > I guess brik was serious business then > lolwut never heard of these

yeah, I failed :lol:

also, fukken saved those pics

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Oh, well, here's another.

Yuki: I'm sorry. I don't know what to do at times like this.

Haruhi: What the hell are you doing?! Stupid Kyon!

Itsuki: I don't mean to be rude but you should be a little more aware of your position.

Mikuru: Evangelion unit 01, please launch!

Kyon: I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Where was Tsuruya-san cut out? My memory of the series is kinda fuzzy, since I watched the first season back when it first came out in America, and I read the first two novels right when they came out, too (so, over a year ago). In fact, is there a list of the differences between the books and the show somewhere online?

Oh, Churuya-san. Yeah, I remember hearing about THAT. Wasn't that Suzumiya Haruhi-chan thing pretty bad, too?

Haruhi-Chan was friggin' awesome.

Also, I know she says Nyoro in the novels. What she doesn't say, is nyoro~n. In fact, watching the first episode of Nyoro~n Churuya-San made feel like I'd been raped.

Also, having the misfortune of falling hopelessly in love with a fictional character IS serious for the one in love.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:35 pm

Oh my, I completely forgot about Haruhi-chan. Strange, considering that serious has two of the most hilarious things ever associated with Haruhi Suzumiya in it.

Thing one.

Thing two.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 pm

^ Don't forget the awesome Kimidori-san/Asakura montage from episode 24. That's so brilliant as well. :lol:

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:39 pm

I haven't written about it, but I did finish this show and saw it in Broadcast order. I loved it, I haven't seen season 2 yet and I don't know if I want to but next to NGE, this is my favorite anime show. I had a blast with all the characters, the stories. There is so much imagination and fun in this show and it's rather amazing how it managed to mix in so many different concepts into one thing without ever faltering. I plan on watching it again on chronological order just for kicks soon.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:06 am

You should definitely watch season 2. You can skip all but 3 endless 8 episodes if they bother you that much and a fair deal of stuff that happens in that season is important to getting the most out of Disappearance (and later events in the novels). I rated S1 a 10 and S2 an 8 (lol?). Not as good, but well worth watching. Plus, from what I hear, they really nailed the movie. Also, I would absolutely check out Haruhi-chan and Churuya since you loved the characters. I'm sure they're on Youtube.

Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed it. In fact, you've given me the thought to bring this fine lady out of retirement for a bit.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:32 am

I think I will end up watching Season 2 afterall and probably even take in the whole Endless Eight thing until I'm sick of it haha. Considering all I've heard, I really want to watch the film. It sounds like a great film, regardless or not of whether you are a Haruhi Suzumiya fan or not, and I can't believe that it's 160 minutes long and from the reviews I've read, no one bitches about the length, I'm hoping it gets a DVD release soon, I don't want to watch a camrip.

I've watched a few episodes of Haruhi-chan, it's pretty cute and funny. I'm also planning on reading the novels, but I probably won't get to it until the faraway future.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:06 am

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:DVD release soon
18th December in Japan.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Anime and Manga”