Have you ever had a change of heart for a character?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Have you ever had a change of heart for a character?

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:39 pm

Basically what I mean is there a character in Evangelion you essentially didn't like (for whatever reason) that you later changed your mind about?

I bring this up because recently I have a change of heart in the character of Asuka. As some of you may recall, I haven't been that fond of the character (you know I'm talking about Gasmask.) However, rewatching the series recently I realized I may have been wrong about her. While she certainly is bitchy, she's no where near as bad as I remembered. This was my fourth complete viewing of the series, so why Asuka's 'clicking' for me now I'll never know... Maybe I wasn't in an Asuka-like mood the other three times...? :?:

Anyway, here's to you Asuka. While I still certainly like Rei and Misato better, your now at a close third. :asuka_happy:
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 pm

Asuka became one of my favourites, despite my initial apathy towards her.

Ritsuko went from apathy, to hatred, to sympathy.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Shinji in chronological order

Moron>Mental wreck>Sad guy>Me.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:44 pm

For Asuka, there were a couple of points where I thought "couldn't the red-headed stereotype have just fried in that volcano?" -- and then in episode 16 she just clicked with me and became the main character as far as I was concerned.

Meanwhile, Shinji went from harmless nebbish with his heart in the right place (TV) to become an oik and a cad and i diskard him (EoE).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Asuka for me, as well.

In order of relevance:
Ep08 = "Geez, what a bitch."
Ep09 = "Hmm...more going on there than I figured."
Ep15 = "Yeah, Definitely more going on there than first let on."
Ep22 (especially the DC version)= "Okay, now I feel bad about that first impression."
EoE = "Well...you have my sympathy now."
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:39 pm

I wouldn't say a "change of heart" so much. I mean, as series/movies progress and I get to understand characters better I may change how I assess them, but that rarely has to do with how I feel about them.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Does have to be Human characters because Shamshel grew on me over time since he used to be my least favorite Angel?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:18 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:Shamshel grew on me over time since he used to be my least favorite Angel?
Admit it, you just love giant purple penises with electrified pubes.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:21 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Admit it, you just love giant purple penises with electrified pubes.

You caught me.

I never really had one, although I've come to respect Shinji a FRACTION of a bit more.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58 pm

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:I never really had one, although I've come to respect Shinji a FRACTION of a bit more.
Am I in any way responsible for that fraction?

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 am

I never liked Asuka until I saw the mind-rape sequence. Then I understood her.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 am

Back when I watched the series for the first time, and Asuka came onboard, instantly I acquired a dislike for her, for initially I gotten used to the Shinji x Rei (rather sugary) relationship.

However, after reading Higher Learning did I became fond of Asuka, understood her strengths and weaknesses, and her vital role in the saga.

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:57 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:Am I in any way responsible for that fraction?

Almost entirely.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:36 am

I'm going to stray away from the obvious Asuka option. But she grew on em faster then what it appears for others.

I was actually annoyed the first times seeing Hikari. Overly school focused teachers pet. But she drops it around episode fifteen, which was nice.

Sadly the rest of the cast end the way they begin but in different ways. Toji's first appearance was understandable for a middle schooler, though I would expect someone older to understand shit happens in military situation. Ritsuko may have turned evilish in the second half, but it was still understandable and I felt more pity then hate. I still hated Gendo though in the end.

xark
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xark » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:54 am

The first time I watched Eva, I had really mixed feelings for Asuka - my attitude towards her kept bouncing between love and hate. As I kept watching, I figured out it was because she reminded me too much of all the things I dislike about myself :um: So after that I started to relate to her, she's my favorite character now. But I never completely hated her like a lot of you seem to have haha

I absolutely despised Rei. It took rewatching multiple times to start to warm up to her character but tbh I still don't like her too much except for in EoE

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:11 am

wow, Asuka, how you shook people. O_o job well done, as far as i'm concerned.

in my case, i would have to say kaworu. upon first watching, i thought he was really, really annoying, i thought he felt out-of-place and his interaction with Shinji was entirely unbelievable. for the longest time when i rewatched, i would stop at episode 23. eventually i did rewatch, and it wasn't until then (and probably until i encountered the online fandom) that i started seeing him in a better light. right now i still think he's... weird. i wouldn't say i love him, but he doesn't bother me. and i can see how important he was, and that he can be a fun character even in his... weirdness. :tongue:

Rei might be another case. i never hated her, but i could never get her, you know? i felt like everything i knew about her, i could understand in a purely academic way, but i never actually empathized. it wasn't until rebuild that i actually found myself liking her.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

BleedingCandy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BleedingCandy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:58 am

Well, it's not really a change of heart since I don't particularly dislike someone/anyone, it's just.. Asuka was my least favorite back then.

However, watching her progress and development from time to time (episode by episode), and reading quite much things regarding herself, I've grown to like her even more. ^_^

She's my 3rd favorite character, after Shinji that is.

But I do have a character that I first liked and now she's one of my least favorite, that is.. Misato.
Ze LKS and LKR fangirl, unf ~
Everybody/Shinji, because he's only allowed to be in the bottom.
Twitter: itschiyo

Zenithfleet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zenithfleet » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:35 am

Gendo.

There were hints of it beforehand, but his final scene in EoE turned him totally inside out for me. Suddenly instead of 'magnificent evil bastard' he was 'Shinji in thirty years'. Only he never had Toji, Kensuke, Rei, Misato, mum, Mr Zebra Ball or apocalyptic therapy to help him while there was still time. Brr.
Proud fan of the ADV TV dub.
And the on-air episodes.
And Magma Diver.

Sorry.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 am

I didn't have that many 'changes of heart' with Evangalion-Characters because they all provide at least some intelectual enjoyment as instresting Concepts/deconstructions of certain real-life types of people in our sucess-oriented Relationship.
I do see a bit of Asuka in certain people I met in real life - and I tend to dislike this kind of people, wether they're real or just lines on a screen, still I can value her on an intellectual level, and I understand why she absolutely HAS to be in there, but if she was real, I'd slap her across the face and nothing she did in the Anime or EoE redeemed her before the emotional part of me.
In Rebuild, se started out as ambitious and unlikeable as ever, but deveoped in a different direction - I was aware that she could have become something else if she had realized her errors, but I never expected her to be capable of genuine kindness. I only stopped disliking her just before she got trashed (I bet that bastard Anno planned that T~T) because she became I truly independant Personwhich I could respect. However, this made be hate her pre-elevator-scene/original-series-self a lot more because now I know that she COULD HAVE improved/become a better person if she only had tried
It was similar with Gendo with the distinction that I never disliked him. i just changed my... interpretation of him after EoE.
In the series, I was like "Cool, how original, a villain with no redeeming characteristics where those little Sighns that he might be a Jerk with a heart of Gold turned out to be Shinji's misinterpretations, he's an evil Jerk with a heart of jerk. Woo, Anno, great villain!"
After EoE, I reached the conclusion that he's just bitter and tired of the world, but that didn't make me like him more or less. He's not on my top 3 list, but I still think he's a coool, unique character.

Now where I really had a change of heart was Shinji.
I allways thought of him as a 'good Idea', or 'Concept': "let's put a guy with a non-heroic personality into a classic go-and-save-teh-world setting and see what happens", a 'guy with issues'
I didn't dislike him as a Person and I did feel relieved when good stuff happened to him, went 'WOW!' at the few archievements he made and wanted him to get (one of) the girl(s),but I wasn't really a big fan of him, I just thought 'He sux for a reason and that's why he's cool'.
But Rebuild has made me see him in a different light. I was so impressed
when he actively used Shogoki's godlike powers and saved Rei. But then I thought: WHY am I impressed? Lots of anime protagonists save their potential love intrests or friends under high risks
The anwer I found was: Because Shinji has to overcome more than just the "Bad Guys", but also his own fears... And that made me appreciate him in his entirity, and even his few acomplishments in the original much more.
Why I never thought he was an 'Useless EMO whip' or anything like that, I would say that I am something of a Shinji fan now. I have also realized for the first time that he has other characteristics than 'no self esteem'. He's actually quite nice once he comes out of his Shell (as Touji noted in ep. 17), and muses and thinks a lot about the world and the people surounding him and has a lot of talents...It's just that he can never bring himself to act, to make that thoughs and wishes of him into reality, because he doesn't think he can change anything... there's somre cuteness/purity about him, of course, nothing of that is left by EoE, but then again, at that point, everyone he ever cared about had either died or sunk into dispair in VERY fast sucession... his best friend injured, his hopes of reconciling with his dad utterly crushed,his mother/big sister figure geting all depressed without him being able to do anything, love intrest #1 mindraped (without him being able to do anything again) and losing her will to live party because he overshadowed her on the battlefield, constantly shouting how much she hates him, love intrest #2 killed in an attempt to save him, then he's told she survived, and then it turns out that she DID die and was replaced by a clone that doesn't show all too much intrest in him, his other friends moved away, and then, a nice boy comes out of nowhere and becomes his new BF just for poor Shinji to have to kill him... oh, and he never got to tell him that he liked him, too.
After events like thse, A LOT of people wouldn't care if the world is about to end...[/spoiler]
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:After events like thse, A LOT of people wouldn't care if the world is about to end...[/spoiler]

Makes ya wonder why Eva haters call Shinji a giant unlikable pussy. His reactions to all the problems hes facing, plus the fact hes only fourteen, is completely understandable.

BTW, you like writing essays don't you? :P

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”