Yuko Miyamura at SMASH

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Yuko Miyamura at SMASH

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:53 am

So at SMASH! (Sydney Manga and Anime Show) this weekend I got the chance to ask a few rebuild related questions to Yuko Miyamura, the voice of Asuka. Unfortunately, she wasn't as forthcoming as I would have hoped.

On the subject of when the next film will be released, she said that unfortunately the cast doesn't get told that sort of information, so she had no idea.

When she was asked whether or not the characters Asuka Sohryu and Asuka Shikinami were the same character or not, she replied by saying that she asked Anno the very same question, only to be told that it was TOP SECRET.

Finally, when I asked her what the significance of the 3 girls having the same ending of their names, "-nami", she said that she DID know why they all that the same name ending, but that she wasn't allowed to tell anyone because that was also TOP SECRET.

So, maybe this will stir up some discussion.

Here are the recordings (in TEEEEERRIBLE quality):
Miyamura Panel: Where she talks about the character of Asuka (Shikinami and Sohryu) and her other work, and does some live voice acting.
Evangelion Panel: Where everyone talks about acting performances and other random stuff.
Grant & Greenfield Panel: Where Tiffany talks about what she thinks of the new Asuka, and also about her other roles and Matt talks about script writing and production stuff.
Last edited by Fazmotron on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:56 am

Oh boy.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:10 am

Thanks for posting this. ^_^

You should totally make a news post about this btw, it's good stuff.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:25 am

Oh man. I smell a bunch of retarded plot twists. Or Anno's just bullshitting her.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:29 am

To be honest, I have the feeling Anno's bullshitting her too (I'm hoping that he's not and whatever he has up his sleeve will be interesting, but that's me being optimistic instead of ambivalent. :P), but I guess this is one of those "only time will tell" things. >_>

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Yuko Miyamura at SMASH

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:04 am

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Finally, when I asked her what the significance of the 3 girls having the same ending of their names, "-nami", she said that she DID know why they all that the same name ending, but that she wasn't allowed to tell anyone because that was also TOP SECRET.

Sounds like an opening for an Ikari's Angels spin-off.
:rimshot:
Voluntary Illusion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:44 am

Yuko-chan is so damn cute!! :asuka_sad: (And I agree with the fan and Yuko, Ogata-san is very エロかっこいい. :naughty: )

Yuko-chan tries Engrish  SPOILER: Show
"Oh, my god! I was just kidding! Did you really kiss me?!"

:lol:

This was awesome to listen to, thanks so much for the upload, Faz. I hope to see the transcripts up eventually, they could be great for archival purposes.

Considering Yuko says "I want Asuka to be happy in these new films, but now because of what's happened so far, I'm feeling uncertain."--and she said a similar thing of wanting Asuka's happiness for the premiere of Death and Rebirth (paraphrased: "Asuka went through a lot of difficulties in the TV series, and though I didn't see the script/voice-act for it yet, I hope that the new movie [EoE] will give her a happy ending.")--it makes me wonder if maybe the new films really WILL be worse off angst-wise when compared to NGE/EoE. >_>

I guess we'll see but...yeah.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:15 am

Also, when asked what she thought Gendo said to Ritsuko in EoE, she said that maybe it was "you've gotten fat".

P.S: Transcribing = UGH
(but when I get the time....)
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 am

If I only could speak Japanese T~T
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:03 pm

In before 'lolhappyending'.

Knowing the eva franchise, a happy ending (or an ending that makes sense, for that matter) would be blasphemy. However, it would be silly to imagine that the likelihood that Anno is telling the truth is anything but 50%.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Also, when asked what she thought Gendo said to Ritsuko in EoE, she said that maybe it was "you've gotten fat".

That's a good one.

Even Miyamura's Engrish is more fit for human comprehension than Yamadera's (to be fair though, Kaji's lines were pretty difficult).

I have to wonder what Anno said to her about the *-nami deal. If it's more than "LOL they rhyme" then it might mean that Anno actually has a plan this time around.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I have to wonder what Anno said to her about the *-nami deal. If it's more than "LOL they rhyme" then it might mean that Anno actually has a plan this time around.

Yeah, I can't wait for the "Is Asuka Soryu a replicant, too?" threads to spill over into the general discussion forum in about a year.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:56 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Yeah, I can't wait for the "Is Asuka Soryu a replicant, too?" threads to spill over into the general discussion forum in about a year.

God fucking dammit.

Regardless of how much more passable her English is than Yamadera's, I'll never forgive the atrocities she was forced to perpetrate against German.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Yuko Miyamura at SMASH

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:10 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:TOP SECRET

This is either a sign that there is significance in all of these details, or that Anno hasn't written that far ahead yet.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Maybe he just told Miyamura-san to say that so that he could watch us poor guys making silly theory. If anything, the rhyming names will have something to do with the prophecy thing
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Sachi: I'm inclined to believe knowing what little we do know about NGE's production schedule and such, it's a mix of both where Anno/Kara might have general ideas of where to go (and/or keep any major plot-points to himself or a select few), but he still hasn't written that far ahead.

Though for what it's worth, one of those 2007/2008 Newtype USA articles said that there was a general meeting before/during 1.0's production where all the films were outlined...but considering what we know that the schedule was getting pushed back, details properly were changed here and there.

Feb 2007 Newtype USA wrote:The storyboards for the first movie have already been finished and sent off to the animators, so show director Hideaki Anno is already plotting out the scenario for the second film. Other names from the first series, including Masayuki, and Kazuya Tsurumaki, are also busily working away.

Also relevant?

March 2007 Newtype USA wrote:While Tsurumaki freely admits that the first of the four film installments--slated to hit theaters in Japan sometime mid-2007--will run like a digest of the TV series, employing key scenes to bring viewers up to speed on the basic story and setting, no one is very willing to speculate on the content of the second, third, or final films.

"Frankly, it just got too chaotic," Tsurumaki comments on the brainstorming sessions that were initially meant to provide an overall plot outline and final resolution to the story. "We're all working from the assumption that we weren't able to reach our destination with the original TV series, but the exact nature of that "destination" is still unclear to everyone on the staff. Since we're going to all the trouble of making these new productions, we'd at least like to take the story as far as we took it back then, but it's been an uphill struggle so far. I get the feeling this project is going to be a very unstable project--in a lot of ways."
Unstable, maybe. But brilliant, almost certainly. We're come to expect nothing less from Evangelion.

(Somebody on MAL in the forums section claimed that "Kara wasn't happy with Asuka being in Eva-03 and it was some last minute change", but I'd really want sauce on such a statement, personally.)

Faz: :hitthetable: Yuko's so awesome.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:09 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Regardless of how much more passable her English is than Yamadera's, I'll never forgive the atrocities she was forced to perpetrate against German.

At least her German phone call contained recognizable words arranged in ways that made some grammatical sense. Yamadera's "English" is much worse.

SSD wrote:Somebody on MAL in the forums section claimed that "Kara wasn't happy with Asuka being in Eva-03 and it was some last minute change"

I will lol so hard if someone at Khara actually admitted this.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:54 am

March 2007 Newtype USA wrote:"Frankly, it just got too chaotic," Tsurumaki comments on the brainstorming sessions that were initially meant to provide an overall plot outline and final resolution to the story.

this quote gave me a mental image of a certain kitchen scene. i'm now wondering if these brainstorming sessions ended up with someone jumping on a table and attempting to strangle anno... :rolleyes:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

Amazing, despite Grave's Disease which nearly took her career down, it's still nice to hear that Yuko's still fighting. Thumbs-up for her. :D

darc_angel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby darc_angel » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:33 am

Yuko Miyamura was an amazing guest! I was so glad I got to go to SMASH! My very first anime con and got to see really kool guests!

Anyway, the live dubbing by her was truely a highlight.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”