"Some Meal Rei Gets to Eat"- *Sarcasm*

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KLVTZ
Adam

"Some Meal Rei Gets to Eat"- *Sarcasm*

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:15 am

"Some Meal Rei Gets to Eat"- *Sarcasm* compared to Gendo's
Vs.

BTW i'm not stupid with regard to why she has to eat like that, its just looks funny when you compare the two lol.
What do you think? And i guess you guyz could debate on what exactly those pills are.
And i will include a Bonus Question- Is Gendo on a diet?
"It's good to be open minded......but not so open that your brain falls out."-physicist Richard Feynman

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: "Some Meal Rei Gets to Eat"- *Sarcasm*

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:38 am

View Original PostKLVTZ wrote:BTW i'm not stupid with regard to why she has to eat like that, its just looks funny when you compare the two lol.
What do you think? And i guess you guyz could debate on what exactly those pills are.

I think the writers expect people to see the contrast. Steak is kind of extravagant in Japan, there aren't chain steakhouses there that serve $5 steaks like they have in the states.

And i will include a Bonus Question- Is Gendo on a diet?

There's a waiter in the room. I assume he's eating his meal in courses.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:32 am

There's a waiter in the room. I assume he's eating his meal in courses.

I just assume that was Fuyutuski because...

well, he has nothing else better to do.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 am

View Original PostTaekmkm wrote:I just assume that was Fuyutuski because...

well, he has nothing else better to do.

The guy standing far to the left has a napkin draped over his left forearm.

(brightened to emphasize)
Last edited by Ornette on Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:56 am

Like I said, nothing better to do. :shrug:
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:02 am

Gendo on a Diet? XD
Nah, the other half of that steak is probably already in his stomach. And I'm not sure wether that is his first glass of wine either.
He's normally not that receptive for puppy stares.

Then again, Anno & co did a great job on making that scene look as un-domestic as possible. Yes, they're having dinner together, but they're sitting at the ends of a laaaaarge Table, she has just pills and he has some expensive stuff.
It looks more like a business meeting.
Still, that scene had me allmost feel sorry for Gendo.
Acohol + Gendo's Brain + Rei's puppy stare = Yui's puppy stare.
And then, he blinks, and it's just Rei again with her blue hair and stuff....
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:05 am

I like how Gendo gets a proper wine glass, a plate, silverware and a bowl for bread... while Rei is provided a cafeteria lunch tray, a lunchbox and a 'NERV water-in-a-bag' with what appears to be one of those plastic cups you get on aeroplanes XD
Voluntary Illusion.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 am

i hadn't noticed that! *wins least-observant-person-on-the-planet award* it's hilarious. :lol:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Poor Rei. I guess it's good she never got to make dinner:

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Shinji in that picture reminds me of Monkey D. Luffy. And that is terrifying.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 pm

You know, I just got an idea. If those pills are to keep her alive, it sort of implies she can't digest normal food...

Did Shinji seal Rei's fate in this continuity by feeding her miso soup?

"OMG wtf's happening to Ayanami?" "Shit, she can't digest complex sugars! WTF did you do, Shinji?" "...Shinji-kun...i-it hurts...*flatline.*

Cue Trollface Ritsuko destroying the clones. :D
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:23 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I think the writers expect people to see the contrast. Steak is kind of extravagant in Japan, there aren't chain steakhouses there that serve $5 steaks like they have in the states.

Japan does have a chain steakhouse. "America's #1 steakhouse: Outback Steakhouse." (So says the banner in front of one in Tokyo).

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Sort of pointing out the obvious here, but isn't Rei a vegetarian? Something touched upon in the original series, but never really explained (speculated maybe). So that just raises the question of why Gendo is eating steak? And while we're there, why does Rei dislike eating meat in the first place?

Hmm... intriguing.

Maybe I shouldn't be looking (haven't seen 2.0 yet, spoiling it all for myself), but is Rei really eating nothing but pills? I can conceive diced vegetables looking vaguely like that (yet it's lacking utensils... so I could easily be wrong), though there definititely is a strong resemblance to pills in the first image. Is there a better shot of her "meal" somewhere out there?

Even taking that into account, it still doesn't explain the stark contrast of how each of them is eating their meals. High-class vs. school lunch or maybe even hospital food... it's just not cricket.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Well, Perhaps Rei just doesn't like the taste/consistence of meat instead of being a vegetarian because of "Uuuuh, the poor little animals!", and therefore has no problem with others eating meat.
She has a fridge in her appartment and I think she had plastic bag with cans hanging on it, so she must eat some proper food, she wouldn't buy a fridge if she didn't deem it necessary.
PS: That fanart is impossibly cute, even if there's somethig scary about the laughing Ikaris. They're not suposed to do that *shudder*

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:17 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:there's somethig scary about the laughing Ikaris. They're not suposed to do that *shudder*
You don't know what sort of pills Rei is using.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

KLVTZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:26 pm

View Original PostThe Abhorrent wrote:Sort of pointing out the obvious here, but isn't Rei a vegetarian? Something touched upon in the original series, but never really explained (speculated maybe). So that just raises the question of why Gendo is eating steak? And while we're there, why does Rei dislike eating meat in the first place?

Hmm... intriguing.

Maybe I shouldn't be looking (haven't seen 2.0 yet, spoiling it all for myself), but is Rei really eating nothing but pills? I can conceive diced vegetables looking vaguely like that (yet it's lacking utensils... so I could easily be wrong), though there definititely is a strong resemblance to pills in the first image. Is there a better shot of her "meal" somewhere out there?

Even taking that into account, it still doesn't explain the stark contrast of how each of them is eating their meals. High-class vs. school lunch or maybe even hospital food... it's just not cricket.

Yeah, its funny. But whats interesting is they never really explain why Rei can't eat meat. Obviously she's not a normal human, but when she doestry human food, well atleast vegetables she's fine
Yet when she does try human food, she thinks its good
But whats strange is she won't take everything that is offered to here, even a drink

so why she is a vegetarian i dont know, but t has to do with something of her makeup.
Maybe Gendo won't let you taste the enjoyments of human food.

whats interesting is in the Elevator Scene Rei Replies to Asuka( Who previously ask her "how she feels about Shinji")-
and then
and even then

I can't help think of the previous scene in the movie, when she asks to have Shinji over so that all three can have a meal together with gendo(in my first post)
When she desribes the 'warm and content' part i can't help but think of the miso soup offered to her, or the scene when she is eating those pills and asking Gendo.
It seems she relates food and warmth to the relationship of her with Shinji and others .
Im throwing that out there. Please debate :blahblah:
"It's good to be open minded......but not so open that your brain falls out."-physicist Richard Feynman

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Baaad, baaad Rei. I just hope that the aphrodisiacum didn't end up in the wrong bowl. *tries to get disturbing Picture out of her head*

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:49 pm

View Original PostThe Abhorrent wrote:And while we're there, why does Rei dislike eating meat in the first place?

I always assumed that her "I hate meat" comment was meant more to highlight her "ethereal" nature, how she always seems detached from her body and what happens to it - as opposed to the innately physical and sensory experiences that we get from Asuka, for example. It also points out one of her eating habits, which never really does get explained, but I think the comment is targeted at herself and her own flesh more than at whatever she's eating.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:30 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:Japan does have a chain steakhouse. "America's #1 steakhouse: Outback Steakhouse." (So says the banner in front of one in Tokyo).

But there's like 7 of them in all of Japan and you pay $30 for a steak there. Food in general is more expensive but a $30 steak is in the Ruth's Chris price range.

As for Rei, maybe Lilith doesn't like the idea of consuming her own progeny.

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:35 pm

I personally think Rei does eat "normal" food, but rarely. If she never had a non pill based lunch, then Shinji offering her a lunchbox should´ve been rejected. Next scene, we see an empty lunchbox.

Or maybe in the future humans can survive off supercondensed nutritional pills :grin:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”