Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Why don't Full Metal Alchemist and God of War get as much ha

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:06 pm

te as Twilight?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Kratos loves placentas. They taste like chicken.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:33 pm

As far as I know, Edward Elric never ate through somebody's uterus.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Because Fullmetal Alchemist is actually good. Can't speak for God of War.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:15 am

Because the correct anime to compare with Twilight would be Bakemonogatari
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:33 am

Fullmetal Alchemist definitely deserves the hate that Twilight has diligently earned. God of War went hard like a mo fucka, so it does not. Twilight does suck, I think that much we all can agree on. I mean these kids are guarded better than Presidents before Obama - it's just incomprehensible.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Because the correct anime to compare with Twilight would be Bakemonogatari

4/10
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 am

O_o

i really don't see how twilight and fullmetal alchemist are comparable.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:52 am

...............Why are we comparing a shonen anime and an ultra-violent sony game series to a vampire wannabe franchise?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Twilight is beloved by fat, virgin, pubescent girls.

Fullmetal Alchemist
and God of War are beloved by fat, virgin, pubescent boys.

Seems like an accurate comparison could be made.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Why compare manly stuff to girly stuff?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:06 pm

My point was that Twilight is criticised as an insult to Vampiric lore.

Now compare the FMA “alchemists” to real life alchemy.
Than compare God of War to Greek mythology.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Because the correct anime to compare with Twilight would be Bakemonogatari

NO

a better anime to use would be inuyasha or code geass as the twilight of the anime world.

My point was that Twilight is criticised as an insult to Vampiric lore.

Now compare the FMA “alchemists” to real life alchemy.

While it is true some people talk about that I really dont think that's one of the big things that most twilight haters have going against it as much as it is elements of twilights story. It's actually somewhat rare something portrayed in the media based on myth or legend is portrayed accurate to its source. For example xena butchered its source material about ten times worse then twilight could even hope to.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:30 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Why compare manly stuff to girly stuff?

Are you calling FMA manly? lolwut.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:35 pm

Are you calling FMA manly? lolwut.

Not really, it's mostly God of War.

What? God of War does not insult Greek lore, if anything it keeps it in brutally honest good faith (pun intended). Only real thing you can complain about is that "oh there is only one minotaur/three real gorgons" or "gorgons don't look like that! nah!"
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:46 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:My point was that Twilight is criticised as an insult to Vampiric lore.

true. it's also criticised even harder for being generally considered horrible writing, double-standards and elevating values that are generally considered "negative" for the sake of "love," setting feminism back about 50 years, being completely anvil-tastic, characters that are generally considered one-dimensional/weak/whiny/exceedingly wangsty/mary-sueish... yes, there was a lot of complaining initially about the ~sparkly~ vampires, but that's the least of the series' problems atm.

that said, though, you have a point: it is true that there was backlash because some people consider it an insult to vampiric lore. with alchemy, for example, the topic is much more obscure than vampiric lore in the sense that less people know about it. your average joe usually knows of alchemy as "oh, that's those crazies who were trying to turn metal into gold," and most of what they know about the philospher's stone, they learned from harry potter. vampires, however, have been a staple in books and in hollywood for a long while, and their characterization has been very consistent through the years. people are used to seeing that characterization, and new takes on it are seen as strange. or, in the case of the ~sparkles~, girly.

also, vampiric lore is a big part of goth culture (correct me if i'm wrong here, admittedly i don't know much about this stuff); alchemy is also studied by occultists and such, but pop culture hasn't brought occultism or any alchemy-related themes to light as much as it has goth culture.

greek myth, on the other hand, has been in the average joe's mind for a while. it probably was around since before vampiric lore has, and should arguably have more of an impact in popular culture. however, i think greek myth is so big and so varied that people have gotten used to the idea that, well, novels and movies and videogames are going to get it wrong one way or another. so in that sense, most of us enthusiasts are more inclined to roll our eyes at the "new takes on the myth" than we are to be offended (like kratos being able to kill ares. shyeah, right :rolleyes:).

also, where greek myth is more of an field of academics, goth is a lifestyle. there isn't an associated lifestyle to greek myth as goth culture is to vampiric lore and such. if someone gets greek myth "wrong," it's not an insult to a whole community's way of life-- just to enthusiasts and scholars who have a passion for the topic, but don't necessarily see characters in greek myth as role models to emulate.

and, if you add to this the fact that most people consider hagaren and god of war infinitely better written than twilight, well...
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:23 pm

The things being compared are pretty arbitrary, but...

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Twilight is beloved by fat, virgin, pubescent girls.

Fullmetal Alchemist
and God of War are beloved by fat, virgin, pubescent boys.

...House of Bricks is getting at the heart of the matter. I'm not familiar with Alchemist, but it is shonen. Twilight is basically shojo (comparable to Vampire Knight). One is for young boys and one is for young girls.

Twilight is aimed at girls who haven't read Anne Rice, who haven't already binged on a thousand harlequin romance novels. For these girls, Twilight is pretty fucking impressive. It does what it sets out to do. But a lot of guys hate on it because it has nothing to do with boyish concerns about achieving the biggest dick through martial arts training. Twilight is about the fears and worries associated with the loss of female virginity. Saying it is about vampires is like saying Evangelion is about robots.

Like, Naruto is Twilight for boys. Dragon Ball Z is Twilight for boys. And so on. Various superhero movies are just as retarded as Twilight, but you don't see the same level of frothing rage directed at them. It is about demographics. We're not talking about universal art that transcends genre. We're talking about very specific stuff.

And the hate for Twilight is not much different than the hate I've seen girls direct at Dungeons and Dragons-type stuff, back in the day. "Haha, you virgin nerds and your escapist fantasy bullshit where you pretend to be warriors hahahahaha!!!!"
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:48 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Twilight is about the fears and worries associated with the loss of female virginity.
But vampires are always about the (haemo)sexuality.

@Oz, Defectron
So, you're saying that Bake doesn't have a raging cacophony of fans and haters exactly like Twilight does?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

If I start sparkling in sunlight, just shoot me.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:22 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Twilight is about the fears and worries associated with the loss of female virginity.

Haha, no. I'm pretty sure it's about being a "Good Mormon" and not having sex before you get married or else you burn in Hell. It's also completely sexist towards women, for a multitude of reasons that are well known and need not be repeated in this post. Sorry O-chan, but I can't stand to hear people defend Twilight.

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Saying it is about vampires is like saying Evangelion is about robots

I agree with this, though. Twilight is about adhering to the Mormon religion, just like Evangelion is about... whatever the hell it's about. Rei's boobs?

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:...boyish concerns about achieving the biggest dick through martial arts training.

I can personally confirm that martial arts training will not increase your dick size.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 pm

-
Last edited by Clover on Sat May 02, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:39 pm

I pretty much was talking about how weak the gods are, nd the fact that Athena, Hades, and I think Hephaestus are antagonists, despite the fact that those three and Artemis are the only gods that weren't jerkasses.

And Kratos killed Aphrodite, meaning that the asshat doomed everyone to ETERNAL BARRENESS.

And even a Neji Hyuuga/Light Yagami/Mello/Ares/Zeus/Crash of the Titans era Tiny the Tiger/Al Khan/Uwe Boll/That dickface who goes two miles per hour on the satanblessed interstate/Kiel hybrid would be more likeable than frakking Kratos.

And Athena is the who was fated to kill Zeus.
/hj

Return to “Anime and Manga”