The missing roar (NGE dub)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Zenithfleet
Embryo

The missing roar (NGE dub)

•      
  •      

Postby Zenithfleet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:47 am

G'day all,

Got a little question about the EoTV dub that's been bothering me for a while...

In Episode 02, during the fight between Eva-01 and Sachiel, there's that famous moment when Fuyutsuki says 'We've done it' (or 'We've won' in the sub) and [s:3dki29y4]UltraPeePee[/s:3dki29y4] Eva-01 charges at the Angel.

Back in high school, I watched the dubbed episodes over and over on my worn-out VHS tapes, and I distinctly recall Eva-01 letting out a blood-curdling roar as it runs. It was one of my all-time favourite moments actually.

But on my Platinum dub track, the roar seems to be missing - all I can hear are the pounding footfalls of the Eva.

The roar is definitely there in the Japanese track (although it's quite hard to hear, as is some of the technobabble in that scene, but I think that's because I'm listening on headphones and haven't got the sound settings right).

So my question is: has the roar been removed from the Platinum dub track for some reason, even though it was present in ADV's VHS releases? Or am I just unable to hear it for the same reason that the Japanese roar sounds faint to me - because my settings are off?

(And on a completely off-topic note... when I'm posting a message, why can I only choose from the smiley going 'woo'? His irrepressible enthusiasm is starting to annoy me.)

EDIT: Whoops, did I say EoTV? I meant NGE of course. Ahem. Hey look, an Angel dancing the macarena! *runs*
Last edited by Zenithfleet on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Proud fan of the ADV TV dub.
And the on-air episodes.
And Magma Diver.

Sorry.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 am

I remember there being issues with some of the eva roars being recorded on the Japanese vocal track instead of the sound effects/music track. So that when it was dubbed into English they couldn't use a few of the 'roaring' sound effects. Although this wouldn't account for a roar being on one version of the English dub and not another...

TLDR: I don't know...

(If you click on the smiley categories bar just below "w00 !!" you'll have access to our rather large library of emoticons)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:42 am

Sometimes they just forget to put things in, accidentally delete, or whatever...

It's not the only thing in the dub that exists in one place but not in another.

ASLO, subtitles ftw.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 am

It should be clarified that EoTV doesn't refer to the entire show, it refers to "End of TV," meaning the last two episodes that serve as a counterpart to End of Evangelion.

To refer to the show as a whole, just use "NGE".

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Both Platinum and Perfect Platinum were remixed for 5.1 surround sound in both the Japanese and English tracks. And, like master_lloyd mentioned, the English track had to re-record a lot of the Eva roars for their early VHS release because of crazy audio issues.

I'm not sure what sound tracks get placed on what speaker channel when 5.1 surround is played on a stereo system. I don't have a 5.1 system, so I can't check for ya. But I've professionally worked in video/audio editing before, and Eva Monkey's right. Sometimes editors just forget or lose track of stuff. Especially when we're looking at 99+ tracks per channel at times. And that's for 5.1 surround sound, which amounts to 6 channels total (one extra channel for that big bass speaker).

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:26 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Eva Monkey's right. Sometimes editors just forget or lose track of stuff.

BTW, I'm not finding fault with any of the audio engineers, I (and my friends as well) have done similar things in audio production, albeit we did it on an amateur level. It's really easy to become complacent and miss details when you've been spending a lot of time with something.

Zenithfleet
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zenithfleet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:09 pm

Hmm, so the roar might actually have been left out in the remix, then? That's a shame.

I have noticed one or two other changes in the dub between VHS and Platinum - like the new 'random scary sound effect' on the closeup of Eva-01's face when it lands after bursting out of Leliel.

And don't get me started on the director's cuts. I'm sure there's a very good reason why they apparently had to get the same voice actors to redo all their original lines (rather than copy/pasting or something), so they just slightly differ from the OA versions... but ye gods it's distracting.

And yes, I appreciate intellectually that subtitled is better (that's how I prefer to watch other anime), but I watched the dub so many times back in the day that it's indelibly imprinted on my brain now. So the dub will always be the 'real' NGE to me, despite the occasional lapses into hopelessly inaccurate cheese :unsure:

If it's any comfort, I hate the EoE dub.

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:It should be clarified that EoTV doesn't refer to the entire show, it refers to "End of TV," meaning the last two episodes that serve as a counterpart to End of Evangelion.

To refer to the show as a whole, just use "NGE".

Gah! :fuyu_facepalm: That's what I get for posting at midnight. I thought I had all the acronyms down, but a part of me insists on seeing 'EoTV' as 'Evangelion on TV'...

Also, got the smileys working now, thanks master_lloyd ^_^ Turns out I had the popup blocker on. Also midnight's fault.
Proud fan of the ADV TV dub.
And the on-air episodes.
And Magma Diver.

Sorry.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Oh yeah, it's missing all right. I'm surprised that ADV didn't fix this problem when they were remixing the English audio in 5.1.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:07 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:BTW, I'm not finding fault with any of the audio engineers, I (and my friends as well) have done similar things in audio production, albeit we did it on an amateur level. It's really easy to become complacent and miss details when you've been spending a lot of time with something.

Oh, I know. I've missed stuff before too. And people actually pay me for the work I do!

>"Where's that shot with the 9-year-old girl spinning in the air and landing in a split?"
>"Whoops! My bad." *re-edits whole montage*

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”