Transformers 3: The Dark of the Moon

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:54 am

I don't see why not, the action scenes themselves are very well done.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:10 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Which only means movies like this will gain the ranks and over come them.

When a film is released through the cinemas, the studios responsible for that film are more concerned with the box-office profits (money made by selling theater tickets) than anything else. The only thing more important to the studio, is how much money the film brings in on it's first weekend. See, because these special effect-heavy films are so astronomically expensive, studios rate how well films do as a financial business endeavor by the profit margin made within the first week of its release. If there's a wide profit margin, then the film was a success and the studio is quicker to make a sequel. If the film didn't make a profit margin at all within its first week (like, say... G. I. Joe), then the studio will hold off on making a sequel for a while.

That's not to say that DVD and Blu-ray sales aren't important, but most of the time any money made past week 1 of a film release isn't brought into consideration by the studios when looking at their past year and trying to make profitable business decisions for the next year. It's one of the reasons why Battlefield Earth was considered a flop by even the studio responsible for it. Sure, the writer of the book the film was based on wasn't worried about the film's horrible net performance during it's theatrical release. He knew that the movie would make its money back eventually, then after that slowly gross a profit. But if you're waiting 5 years to profit off of about 1 year's work, then you made a bad business move.

So all that to say "Studios don't even consider the money made in home releases in the grand scheme of things. They're just kind of nice to have, especially if the film bombed in theaters."

Also, Gone with the Wind has also been released on home video devices since the 80's, is still being sold right now on Blu-ray, has at least a several million dollar head start on Tranny 3, and will continue being sold on home entertainment devices for decades to come. If Micheal Bay wants a similar reaction to home release sales of a Transformers movie past the year 2014, he'll need the help of a whole Tranny 4 production, costing the studios even more money to make its profit again. Whereas all Gone with the Wind would need to do is just sit on a Best Buy store shelf and maybe let a few people watch the film on select art house theater screens and a few big cities for a couple of days.

Face it, dude. As much as you don't think it's true, you just can't beat the longevity of the classics. It's the reason why classic folk songs like "Happy Birthday" are copywrited: The song itself is never gonna die in our culture, so it's been made that people have to pay dues any time they want to features the song in an album, TV show, or movie. At some point it just becomes free money.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:41 am

Wow did you completely miss the point on what I was going for.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:39 am

Well, maybe I just don't know what you meant by "over come". I thought that, since you posted a statement of financial stats, you meant "over come" as in "becoming more financially profitable for those involved."

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:50 am

T3 hasn't even been out for 5 months, movies you're talking about are nearly a century old, of course they're going have "adjustment inflammation" and "cultural significance" junk tacked on.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:31 pm

Not really. James Cameron's AVATAR was first released in 2009, and it ranks as the 14th highest grossing film in America. Tran 3 does't even appear on the top 100. (And seeing a Transformers film refered to as "T2" and "T3" makes me think of the preceeding Terminator films, some of which actually do appear on the top 100 grossings list.)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:36 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:T3 hasn't even been out for 5 months, movies you're talking about are nearly a century old, of course they're going have "adjustment inflammation" and "cultural significance" junk tacked on.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:But "Spiderman" is from 2002, and part 2 is from 2004...

"The Dark Knight" is from 2008, "Shrek 2" from 2004, "Pirates" from 2006, "Star Wars ep3" from 2005, etc.

And it's not like those movies have been in theatres for much longer than 5 months.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Yeah. And even with Gone with the Wind, I think they're only measuring the amount of cash it grossed during its first official theatrical release. I think I mentioned what studios used for success measurment in their industry a couple posts above before you said I missed your point, TDSA.

Return to “Film and Video”