Evangelion 4.0, do you really want an alternate ending?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
KLVTZ
Adam

Evangelion 4.0, do you really want an alternate ending?

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 pm

According to eva.wiki-
"Specific plot details are unknown at this time, but the final film has been promised to make up a "new, alternate ending" to the series"
That's all great, but my question to the community is this

A)Do you want an alternate ending despite the possibility that Anno may never fully explain the final scene in EoE and if is alternate may go on to a different path?
OR
B) Do you want an Extending Final ending in which delves deeper into the Final Scene that was presented in EoE, therefore providing a Final (possible) explanation of the Final scene.

Personally, i choose B) unless you guyz consider the question in B) to be considered an alternate ending. The reason is simple, i want answers to unexplained events, why they happened, and really i desire a logical conclusion. But Anno always has something up his sleeve.

BTW- Here is a BONUS QUESTION!!!

Will Eva. 3.0 be released alongside Eva. 4.0, or will they be months apart or years, the reason i ask this question is because of this eva.wiki-
"Evangelion: Final is the working title for the fourth and final film in the Rebuild of Evangelion movie series. It will be released in Japan alongside the third film, Evangelion 3.0, at an unspecified date."
What did the Author meant by Alongside (time wise)

Thank You for reading!
"It's good to be open minded......but not so open that your brain falls out."-physicist Richard Feynman

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Alternate ending all the way.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:15 pm

While doing Rei's severed arm as an ending would be fun -- or at least all the fanboi howling that would ensue would be fun -- I think that whatever we get as an ending should not be

* big blue ball
* darkling shore
* any happy couple looking at the aftermath
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

My logic is absolute!

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Whatever kind of ending we get, I will bet my entire Eva collection that it won't be anything straightforward and logical. I mean, really. This is Anno we're talking about. I think what other posters have said about the opening scene to 1.0 holds water(lolpun): The first thing we see in 1.0 is the red ocean water lapping on the beach, just like at the end of EoE. In 2.22, we see the water treatment plant that is working to restore the ocean. Whatever kind of ending we get, the final scene is going to be blue ocean water lapping on the beach. This I swear. Whether this means we'll get a happy ending or not, I dunno. I'm guessing it'll be bittersweet.

KLVTZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:42 pm

^ I do notice quite a few movies have that, were they will show some of the ending in the beginning.
I i know whatever the ending will be i know that it probably wont be fully understood, and will be a subject of debate for years to come, but that's the fun of Eva talk.
"It's good to be open minded......but not so open that your brain falls out."-physicist Richard Feynman

Lonecow12
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lonecow12 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I really hope nothing in EoE is ever alluded to or explained. It is a masterpiece as it is, and the way it was constructed I know without a shadow of a doubt what happened.

And the beauty is that you or anyone else who watched it also has their own definitive ending, but it is probably different from my version. Many have attempted the "make up your own ending" before and failed. EoE gives you all the building blocks and you put it together yourself.

If they ever try and tell me that the ending that I came up with is wrong then I will be really upset with the Rebuild films. Right now I love them, and welcome them, but please don't touch EoE.

(that being said I'm not against the "sequel" theory as long as the new movies take place millions of years after EoE, and not immediately after. I'm personally a fan of repeating world concepts, such as Stone Gods)
Last edited by Lonecow12 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:44 pm

No cliffhangers and have a final boss like Rei Lilith again. If you have that I don't care what they do.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Why the fuck would anyone want the same ending twice?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:47 pm

The final scene does not need an explanation.

KLVTZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:56 pm

The final scene may not need a full explanation since most of it can be concluded on rational basis, BUT wouldn't any of you really want to see what happens after the chocking scene,(all i ask is 5 more minutes of more screen time) i do......maybe I'm the only one. Look im not saying i want the same ending twice, the answer to that is no, but i want more!

When i think of the name of the movie series its entitled REBUILD of.....so and so, maybe in my opinion Anno will rebuild that same final scene. In a completely new and yet familiar way

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Semantics, y'all.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:06 pm

View Original PostKLVTZ wrote:When i think of the name of the movie series its entitled REBUILD of.....so and so, maybe in my opinion Anno will rebuild that same final scene. In a completely new and yet familiar way

It's not called Rebuild, though. It's Evangelion: New Movie Edition in Japan. In English, they drop the NME subtitle and keep the You Are (Not) Alone/You Can (Not) Advance subtitle instead. Rebuild of Evangelion is just the name given to the behind-the-scenes featurettes on the English DVD.

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:16 pm

I consider Rebuild an entirely different series rather then a different universe, a dream, or anything else which connects it to the original. The changes so far are so major I don't think we should expect anything to be similar anymore, including the ending. I don't see how a Similar EoE ending can even work with what we have so far, and I hope it is radically different and focuses on a solid conclusion rather then attempt a bad parody or attempt at parallelism.

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm

1.) Eva Q & Final better be released seperately, and they better not F***ing make them 45-mins either. I want Anno to worki himself into a stress-induced psychosis. For putting Eva's respect on the line like this, he better go above and beyond, I'm sorry. If He releases them together, not only is he not guna make money (unless he sells them for $100 with tons of special features) but its going to be everlasting evidence that he fell short, cut corners and what have you. If they're guna be 45-mins each, are they really even going to explain anything??

2.) I think EoR is going to be a complete change to it all - you saw how the sky went all vinyl disk , as well as how that section of earth looked after 2I. That means that Mega-Giant Naked Rei won't be sucking everything up in quite the same way. Unless, the 3I initiated in R2 was the kind that destroys all living things and MGNR is the one who salvages the human souls.... But who knows!!! ^ I actually 100% agree with Gamer 137, on everything he just said,
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

KLVTZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KLVTZ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:06 am

View Original PostEva 02 wrote:1.) Eva Q & Final better be released seperately, and they better not F***ing make them 45-mins either. I want Anno to worki himself into a stress-induced psychosis. For putting Eva's respect on the line like this, he better go above and beyond, I'm sorry. If He releases them together, not only is he not guna make money (unless he sells them for $100 with tons of special features) but its going to be everlasting evidence that he fell short, cut corners and what have you. If they're guna be 45-mins each, are they really even going to explain anything??

2.) I think EoR is going to be a complete change to it all - you saw how the sky went all vinyl disk , as well as how that section of earth looked after 2I. That means that Mega-Giant Naked Rei won't be sucking everything up in quite the same way. Unless, the 3I initiated in R2 was the kind that destroys all living things and MGNR is the one who salvages the human souls.... But who knows!!! ^ I actually 100% agree with Gamer 137, on everything he just said,

^ i agree, i hope they don't release a side by side, at least wait a couple of months. It makes sense.

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

There best be a different ending. If I wanted to see the ending of EoE, I'd watch EoE.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I think that whatever we get as an ending should not be

* big blue ball
* darkling shore
* any happy couple looking at the aftermath

QFT

EDIT: (2/26/12)
Nevermind, I overlooked the "not". I would actually like an ending that included all of those things.
Last edited by Sun Stealer on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tycho
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tycho » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Alternate ending all the way for me too. I don't even care if it's a happy ending or another mindscrew (as long as the mindscrew is a different mindscrew from EoE).

If I want to revisit EoE's ending i just put the DVD in the player and watch it again. That movie is too great, we don't need anything else. That we are left wondering wtf just happened is part of the film itself.

Bonus answer: what has scared me is that it seems 3.0 and 4.0 are actually the two halves of the last film (ala Death and Rebirth). As long as it is not confirmed I will hold out hope that they are actually two different and full films. But the uber rushing in 2.0 coupled with what I heard leads me to believe otherwise.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:54 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Alternate ending all the way.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Thunder Heart Mk.3
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thunder Heart Mk.3 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 pm

I would have to go with A.

Thus far it is pretty obvious that this Evaverse has split off from the original In the most obvious of ways. Especially when it comes down to the "key" events. Personally I believe that we have absolutely no choice but to have an alternate ending this time around. Is it a bad thing? Of course not! Its definitely going to be a new experience with an old familiar feeling.

To answer you bonus question: I would hope that each movie is fairly long (90 plus minutes) There is a ton of stuff to be covered. Unless they totally plunge it and make an Eva movie with Nicholas cage like voice play and action with a Return of the Jedi ending. Dear God no.

Personally I always thought that Anno just wasn't happy with how the original series (plus D and R, EoE) went so he wanted to redo it in a totally different direction. Of course I could be wrong ( go ahead and prove me wrong. I don't mind :) )

Also, wasn't EoE just an alternate ending to the original series?
LURKERS KEEP ON LURKING! Lurk, lurk, lurk...
Favorite pairing as of Rebuild : Shinji x Rei. Why? Because its lulzy.

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:02 am

Different ending for sure. I don't really want to call it an alternate ending, since the NME Evaverse doesn't exactly have an ending yet. I'm hoping for something insane and out there, but with as much potential for analysis and Fridge Brilliance as NGE. Preferably not 'everyone explodes' again, but if it's well done, I wouldn't mind that much.

View Original PostThunder Heart Mk.3 wrote:Also, wasn't EoE just an alternate ending to the original series?

I was fairly sure it went alongside EoTV. They happened at the same time.
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

Thunder Heart Mk.3
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thunder Heart Mk.3 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:11 am

I was fairly sure it went alongside EoTV. They happened at the same time

See that's the thing. I watched both and they seem like they fit together, but yet not. I was reading statements made by other users of this sight stating that in the original, Shinji actually accepts instrumentality.
LURKERS KEEP ON LURKING! Lurk, lurk, lurk...
Favorite pairing as of Rebuild : Shinji x Rei. Why? Because its lulzy.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”