[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 14, 2020 4:45 am

Unhinged looks like it's gonna be the first movie to come to theaters post Covid-19 mid Covid-19 during this crazy summer.

Who knows what'll happen next.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 20, 2020 1:21 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Who knows what'll happen next.

Shrug

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/zack ... e-comments

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Wow.

On one hand, I'm shocked because of all of the studio politics, actors' contracts, and streaming startups it had to jump over just to get released. That, in and of itself, is a monumental, logistical effort.

One the other, dominant hand, I really don't give a fuck.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 am

I wonder if what is being released here is not the Snyder Cut, but simply a Snyder Cut. The Synder Cut likely never existed, and it wasn't until all the pressure for it to exist finally resulted in it being willed into existence... somehow. :shifty:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 am

^ Yeah, Snyder posted a pic of all of the film reels of whatever state Justice League was pre-Joss Wedon, and that project looks like it hadn't even been cut down from 5 hours of footage yet. I kinda hope Snyder Stans see the finished version, and then petition that he does it again "but this time to it good."

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 21, 2020 8:17 am

I am indifferent to this despite strongly loving Man of Steel and liking BVS. I would have preferred all this fan effort being used to push for Mos2 or for Affleck to stay as Batman (the more I hear about Reeves/Pattinson's The Batman the more pissed I get), I am aware Affleck quit for his health (and I strongly wish him well) but WB could have made accommodations like not having him do press & promotional stuff so he doesn't have to be in the spot light or deal with backlash if it's not well received.
Still at least this way we will get more of Affleck's Batman hopefully in a more serious state then we got from Whedon.
Lastly I actually preferred Steppenwolf's final design to his Snyder design although the face of the theatrical version could have been much better (give him a viking beard like he has in the modern comics & more menacing eyes)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/15/75/23 ... 9d283b.jpg

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Spending some money to make a Snyder Cut is a smart move to build more hype for HBOMax.

Though in the long run I think Warner Brothers giving in to trolls will backfire.
What's to stop similar trollish/incessant campaigns from happening now? It worked before. They got their Snyder Cut.
Maybe if they try real hard they'll convince Disney to Remake The Last Jedi? Or recast actors they don't like for certain parts?

To exacerbate things Zack Snyder's Justice League was originally conceived, written and went into production with the goal to set up a Justice League: Part Two that would have been released Summer 2019.
Snyder's movie was meant to be DC's "Infinity War" with essentially "Justice League: Endgame" being his following movie.

So unless Zack Snyder's Director's Cut is drastically altered from the original idea this film/mini-series/whatever is going to end with a direct setup for a HUGE Justice League: Part Two that considering the shape of the DC Universe has even less of a chance of happening than the Snyder Cut originally had. And I don't see the trolls having succeeded once going "Well, we got OUR Justice League. Sure woulda been nice to see Part Two. But that's a thing of the past and isn't going to happen. Let's call it a day, fellas."

I wonder what the eventual Hashtag for the sequel will be? #MakeJusticeLeague2? #GiveSnyderHisEndgame?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I wonder what the eventual Hashtag for the sequel will be? #MakeJusticeLeague2? #GiveSnyderHisEndgame?

#ReleaseTheButtHoleCut

This is the only true rallying cry.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:35 am

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:#ReleaseTheButtHoleCut

I would support that.

But, instead the trolls have already latched onto #ReleaseTheAyerCut of Suicide Squad so there's that.

But I can't pretend I'm immune to all this and that there aren't a few mythical cuts of films I wouldn't want to see. I saw someone tweet #ReleaseTheLeeCut because they want to see Spike Lee's unedited version of the OLDBOY remake available and having been reminded of that now I too want to see that. I love Lee - had the chance to meet him once and he is absolutely delightful - and while I don't think there's a great cut of that unnecessary remake in a vault I do think there's a more interesting film that what was released. I know Lee had real fights with the studio on that film and he disowned the version that went to theaters. He disowned it so much so that it's the only project - movie, documentary, TV series, videogame narrative, short, commercial, etc - he's ever made in his 40+ year career that wasn't credited as "A Spike Lee JOINT" but is instead "A Spike Lee Film".

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Well, I can’t pretend I’m immune to this either. Seeing alternate cuts of movies will always contain some sort of fascination to it for me. I watched every version of Death & Rebirth of Eva despite the cuts varying very little, and was at least glad multiple versions of an Eva property were available on home video. I have the TV aired and the initial re-edits of NGE episodes 21 - 24, and found the aesthetic choices interesting. Criterion released both versions of Brazil and Godzilla (1954), and seeing the changes made was interesting to me. (I love the Terry Morse cut of Godzilla starring Raymond Burr, BTW. I’m not saying that it was better or even as good as the Ishiro Honda Cut, but I love it nonetheless. And the American cut of Mothra vs Godzilla features more original Godzilla footage than the Japanese version! How is that possible?)

And I’ll also be fascinated by multiple cuts of Justice League. But, the thing is, that fascination comes entirely from a sense of posterity, and not a sense of actual interest in the movie itself. Justice League was most likely bad from day one of shooting. I’ve seen both cuts of Snyder’s Batman v Superman, and hated both equally. I’m not hopeful for his preferred cut of Justice League doing anything that his preferred cut if Batman v Superman didn’t already do: make me feel emotions ranging from boredom to frustration. So, at the end of the day, I still love lost/alternate versions of media, I still see The Snyder Cut and think “Really? That’s the best movie you could think of for one of these? Really?”

Yeah, despite my interest in posterity, I’m not hyped.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:43 pm

I really hope this news of Christopher Nolan reportedly pushing for Tenet or whatever it's called to be released in july isn't true.
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1273027842754916352?s=19
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:58 am

He can push all he wants. Movie theaters aren’t going to show anything if they’re not open.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:20 am

Sadly it seems like they will reopen.
AMC's Aron is back (after permanently banning Universal from his cinemas).
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1273777235766333442?s=19
Apparently heallth is politics. What an idiot.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 pm

AMC and Regal took a beating for their no-masks-required policy (rightfully) and now say masks will be required but I still won't be going for a while.

Theaters have no real way to enforce it during the show short of having an employee - low paid & not receiving health insurance even though they absolutely should - sit through every show in every auditorium watching the audience for the entirety of the movie.

People are kinder abroad but I'm in the US and people here are terrible - it's embarrassing how poorly we've handled Covid - and over 80% of masks would be off before the final trailer started.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:00 pm

^ Well, and most movie theaters are notorious for being very dirty places anyway. There's no way any of that changed in response to an epidemic. Americans are too lazy for that.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:49 pm

I’m assuming people will just go. We’re just going to pretend the virus is gone.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Theaters have no real way to enforce it during the show short of having an employee - low paid & not receiving health insurance even though they absolutely should - sit through every show in every auditorium watching the audience for the entirety of the movie.

Yeah, this too.
I really don't wanna say too much about America since I'm not there, but from what I see it really has been handled badly.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Tenet has been indefinitely delayed.

Good. I don't want me or anyone else freaking out over dying because there might be corona in the dried, sticky soda syrup on the armrest.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:04 am

To make the TENET indefinite delay more interesting is that it might just be indefinitely delayed in countries that have failed containing Covid-19.

Warner Brothers said the release of the film worldwide won't be "traditional" which everyone is figuring means that if a country has Covid controlled then TENET will play there so WB can start making some money off the film. So there is a high probability that countries like New Zealand, Taiwan, Vietnam (they have zero deaths! Amazing!), South Korea, Singapore, maybe even Cuba will get to see TENET as early as next month or September.

The rest of the world? Late 2020? Maybe 2021?

If they proceed with this Warner Brothers is going to have a tough time fighting the torrents.
There will be Torrents inside of Torrents three to sometimes four levels deep.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:What's to stop similar trollish/incessant campaigns from happening now?

Whether or not giving them what the want will make money. WB is doing the Snyder cut and putting it on HBO Max to hype the launch and make money.

If they don’t think a fan demand will make money they won’t do it.

The big studios are multinational corporations that exist to create value for their shareholders. They don’t care what you or I think of how they make that money.

Return to “Film and Video”