Sandalphon the Talking Angel

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Sandalphon the Talking Angel

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 am

Sandalphon's death scream, recorded from episode 20 (EDIT: Whoops I mean 14) because it's easier to hear without the music playing. The Angel seems to be screaming "Yamero!". Is it pareidolia, intentional, or a stock sound effect like the Colossus quote?

I don't think the Sandalphon knew how to speak; if it was supposed to sound like "Yamero!", it was probably supposed to be a coincidence in-universe for the sake of evoking pity for the Angel from the audience.

In before "I don't hear it."
Last edited by NAveryW on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:50 am

I can hear it, but I have little explanation for it.

It is shown that the angels can communicate with people, Leliel, Arael and Armisael communicate (I guess you can call it that) with Shinji, Asuka and Rei respectively, but that all seemed to be within the pilots' minds.

I don't know, maybe it heard people speaking Japanese while it was inside a volcano and picked up the language while in an embryonic state. You never know.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Dartz
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:06 am

Might just be how they created the sound effect.... washing a human voice screaming through a bunch of filters to turn it into something utterly alien, but still obviously a pained scream.

Actually reminds me of the 'Oh No' Lemmings make when they're about to explode.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:29 am

They could've picked any old sound effect for the job. I assume it was meant to be intentional. We see Sandalphon first as a giant human embryo. What better way to highlight that he's still human than to send him off with a "Yamero!!!" scream after being stabbed? Not that Sandy knew Japanese, just that he was human all along...

Of course, the best way of telling whether or not it was intentional is to look at what track it belongs to. The Eva roars were supposedly dubbed over by ADV because they turned up on the dialogue track (and they were voiced by Hayashibara, only slowed down tremendously). If that scream was on the dialogue track, it was meant to be human. Otherwise, there's room for doubt.
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Sandy either picked up the language being human in his own way, or it's just some "oh fuck I'm dying" death scream. I personally took it as the latter (I heard the scream before but didn't realize Sandy was "saying" anything; I didn't really hear the "yamero" (stop it!) until this thread pointed it out). /My two cents.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:34 pm

I heard a "nyamayaouuuuu!" thing which could have been "yamero", I guess.
I little late for "yamero", frankly. I'm kinda with Dartz on this one. It makes sense, given the Angels' then-unknown connection with the humans.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:52 pm

It wouldn't be the first time Angels have done some intelligence-indicating telepathy bullshit. Probably intentional.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”