Film Transferring/Colorist

Haruyasu Yamazaki
Technical Coordinator

Tomomi Takemura
Master Editing/Online Editor

Hideki Ito
Line Coordinator

SPOILER: Show
Let’s start off by talking about the production process for HD remastering. Revolutionary Girl Utena (hereafter referred to as "Utena") was originally done on 16mm film, wasn’t it?

Ito: We convert that to the high-definition "HD" format, create new materials, and then process them to produce a new master. "HD remastering" means trying to raise the quality of the master by updating it to a new generation of media.

Please tell us what your impressions of Utena were when you converted the first materials.

Kaneda: The theatrical version of Utena was 35mm, and the TV version was 16mm. Given that this is an HD remaster, I think first off you can sense the difference in quality that comes from the difference in film type. Also, the old TV vision was created for broadcast, so only about 90% of the cel art is visible after fitting it to the TV frame. So if the rest of the cell had stuff in it that shouldn’t be there, it didn’t matter because nobody would see it anyway. But now we have full-display TVs, like LCD TVs for example, and everything is 100% visible. That meant that when we were first recording the HD type, how much of the frame to use became an issue. Ultimately, we ended up showing everything, since that was the director’s preference. And so the 10% that was never visible before got cleaned up and generally corrected, and now you can see the whole frame as it was originally drawn.

That’s something to be happy about. What about adjustments to the whole screen?

Kaneda: There were aspects of the look of that outer-space background in Utena and Anthy’s dance scene in the movie that didn’t fit the director’s image. He said it needed more depth, more profundity, so we altered the way we transferred the film. We tested three different categories of original film elements – positive film, negative film, and interpositive – and used the one that yielded the best image.

So he wanted to express more translucence and depth, then?

Kaneda: That was the one scene where we adjusted the parameters most minutely, to bring out the sense of translucence and depth. The director and I went through each individual cut together, with endless trial and error.

Did he have requests about the coloring of the characters, too?

Kaneda: As an example, Utena’s hair is pink, but there’s pink and then there’s pink. You have your reddish pinks, your yellowish pinks, and all that. For this project there was no order chart or other basis for color matching in the film, so we started by getting permission to examine actual cels of the main characters, and we decided to match those. The character that I especially felt had the most variation in her coloring was Anthy. Her skin was difficult. I think there were probably several different versions from the beginning. You see, it was a slightly different color each time. As we worked, we consciously worked to avoid letting those color variations make anything seem off within a given scene. For example, one part of a sequence of evening scenes abruptly had a more daylight sort of coloring, so we consulted the director: "Should we match this bit to the evening hues for continuity?" And then we adjusted the skin tones to fit the overall tonality.

Are the colors any more vivid than when we watched the show on TV?

Kaneda: None of the colors got drastically more vivid. After all, it’s not good to make them too far removed from the video you’ve seen up until now. They are sharper now, though. We’ve revised them to be clearer, so I think they’re easier on the eyes.

I see. And after that, you need to clean up any defects in the frame, right?

Takemura: In terms of order, first you have digital remastering, and then you set up filter parameters to do the denoising. You remove all of the noise and distortions in the frame. Then you bring this processed footage to the editing room and check it with the director.

But when we watch anime on TV, we don’t really think "Look at all that noise!", do we?

Ito: Most of the anime shows made in recent times were produced digitally, so there isn’t any noise, but even though this Utena is a "digital remaster," I think there’s bound to be a certain amount of noise in it, because the original materials were film. Still, I think this is far and away cleaner than the previous DVD release. It’s not even comparable. You see, that was a seriously mad dash to the finish.

Takemura: To start with, I did about 100 corrections per episode.

Yamazaki: That was after my team cleaned up each cut, though. We’d remove the noise, cue and paste things from other places, and generally make it look clean. Ultimately, it’s almost like compositing work. Then we’d lay that back to tape again and check it with the director, at which point we’d receive additional corrections… (laughs)

Ito: Yamazaki would input the tape media to a nonlinear machine and work on it, and then Takemura would edit it on tape media, and that would become the final master.

Yamazaki: You were saying that to start with the director check would yield about 100 corrections, but how many did he give you on the second half of the work?

Takemura: About 300. Because after we’d done one full pass on the show, more corrections would come up during rechecking.

That sounds like a lot of revisions. Is that more than average?

All: Oh, yes… (laughter)

Takemura: Basically you’re doing frame-by-frame recording of the cels, right? And when there’s lip flaps with layered cels, the noise you end up with ultimately stands out. That stays in the picture throughout.

I see. And I understand that when it came to pieces like the onscreen text put in during original video recording, you changed them to digital elements. Could you tell us what that means?

Yamazaki: Things like the final "to be continued" and the eyecatchers weren’t on the film itself, so we recreated them. Then there were things like the rotating roses in the four corners of the screen.

In the TV broadcast the movement of the roses was jerky. Has that changed now that they’re been redone?

Yamazaki: We tried not to break the atmosphere the show’s had up until now. Our motto on this project has been, "Try to keep the image of the show as intact as possible." Still, we did want the audience to feel like we’d done something, so we tried to get that to show through, but then it was like, "Mmm, no, that’s going too far." The director and us tossed back and forth various opinions and ideas as we pinned down the right feel.

There are also some places where the key art is new, am I right? I’m told Mr. Shinya Hasegawa drew it.

Takemura: That’s right. The new materials are static image data (the digital version of cel drawings), so they’re sparkling clean. We take them and blend them in with the texture of the old film. We input the new materials we receive to an editing system called "DS," and then composite them while adding motion. In the final stage we add grain to make it fit in with the grittiness of the film.

Are there any other scenes that changed?

Takemura: The eyecatch that says the show title is completely new in the HD version.

Yamazaki: The director was very respectful of the image of the original, so we did out best to work according to the goal of using original materials as much as possible, but this part apparently just didn’t fit the image… There were those silver plates in the four corners of the eyecatch, and the idea was broached that "Maybe these are just in the way," so we took them out, and it really did look better. When you look closely, the red backgrounds that’s unfolded beneath the lettering is different in the pre- and post-commercial bumpers, too. The eyecatches took a ton of time, because in the beginning we had no idea what direction to go in. We couldn’t even begin to figure out how they’d given the letters those rolling motions back then. There’s a certain analog-style awkwardness there, as if it got done by coincidence. The idea was to trace that, but it was no easy thing to get that bit done digitally. Once we had the motion, our next problem was the texture. The original opening bumper had a yellow logo with a bit of gradation, and there was this sort of green bud thing rotating above it. It was quite a vivid eyecatch. But we were asked to make it all gray this time, and to give the texture a crystal-clear feel when the letters were finished unfurling. So we thought maybe we should make it metallic, and we experimented a lot with different textures, until finally we found that that just wasn’t the right direction to go in… But you know, the logo in the show’s opening sequence was a silvery, chic monotone. So we figured we might as well try spinning it that way, and then it was like, "This is it!" We could finally see the finish line ahead of us. Ultimately, we got eyecatches where silver is born from a slightly darkened screen, and then when the spotlight hits it, the red of the background rises up and the bud at the top gives off a pink shine. In the end, when the director finally told us "OK!", there was applause. (laughs)

Ito: I can understand the director’s pickiness, since eyecatches are things that appear every episode. With proposed revisions like this, we had Takemura find the middle ground in terms of how we’d make this all hang together as a final work. He’s the one who had the most communication with the director.

What types of things would the director say to you, Mr. Takemura?

Takemura: He’d say, "Do something about this part." But Director Ikuhara isn’t someone who just says "Do something about this" and leaves it at that. He’s good enough to ask, "What options do we have for fixing this?" When I grope for a few answers and propose them, he’ll make a decision: "Okay, let’s use this method here." He really listens to our suggestions and makes his decisions after taking them into account. It was the same way with the denoising. There were some cuts where we were like, "This is a tough one; it might not get clean," but the director said, "That’s OK." Well, when someone tells you that, you think, "I have to do something about this!"

And you had to synch up the timing, too, didn’t you?

Takemura: You see, the film in use at the time was already gone. That meant the video and audio didn’t synch up, so we had to balance the accounts at both ends, so to speak. And the scenes in the duels when the prince descends – some episodes didn’t have anything that really fit, and we had to adjust them in editing.

I see. So all of you listened to the director’s various wishes and put them into practice.

Yamazaki: In the beginning I wasn’t directly discussing things with the director. But when things came to crisis point, he said "Let’s walk this path together," or something along those lines. At first, I thought he meant we’d have a talk every week or something, but we started emailing back and forth on the principle that “That’s nowhere near enough!” And I’ll tell you something… he replies really quickly. During the eyecatch thing, I’d message him with "How about footage like this", and immediately I’d get back something like "I want to see an example of this pattern, too."

Could you all sense the director’s enthusiasm?

Yamazaki: Absolutely! If he’s like this with a remaster, I wonder what he’d be like if he decided to do something new.

Ito: His enthusiasm is amazing.

Takemura: He’s a passionate person, isn’t he? We talked about various things in our spare moments on the job, and I can tell you one thing: he watches all kinds of stuff. I mean, if it’d been a week since you’d last gotten together, he’d tell you about this movie or that DVD that he’d seen in the meantime. I thought he must be trying to absorb into himself anything and everything good that might be out there.

Ito: Yes, he was always watching things with curiosity: "How did that scene in that show come out?"

Takemura: Like, "That was beautiful, huh? How do you they did it? Can we do that too?"

He’d talk about those things even in the studio with you, then.

Takemura: When he does checks, he has his eyes glued to the screen the whole time, and I think he concentrates pretty intensely, so he probably gets worn out. He’d spend over three hours on one episode of Utena, so we’d usually take a break after each one.

Mr. Kaneda, can you share any impressions of the director or happenings during production?

Kaneda: He’s picky down to the last detail. I only noticed this as I was working, but – you know how there were all those scenes of the Akio Car speeding away? There was a point when there were three people in the car, but in the speeding-away shot, only two people were there. We fixed things like that at his request. But fundamentally, even when we were redoing things, he would always say he wanted to faithfully convey the image of the original, from back when it was first made.

Ito: It seemed like he wanted to do the things he couldn't do back in the day, the things he wished he'd done, the things he had a chance to do over now.

Kaneda: Yes. Basically he wanted to get it that much closer to perfection.

What about you, Mr. Yamazaki?

Yamazaki: I think I’ll just be repeating the other two, but in the studio with us he had a "Let’s do this as a team!" mentality, and that in turn made us think “I want to do something to make this good!” He keeps getting more and more of the people around him on his side. He has that kind of charm, I think. "Look how much love he gives to his works!" – that much was plain as day. And that’s exactly what makes us start thinking, "We’ve gotta do this thing!" This isn’t the nicest way of putting it, but there are sort of "hired director" types in this world, you know? He’s not like that at all. He’s the polar opposite. His type of director is rare these days.

Ito: He’s a god among men. Because he hates dishonesty and unreason. Can it be done or not? If not, he won’t do it. But if there’s a chance it can be done, he goes all the way with it.

Yamazaki: Before he decides whether something is possible or not, though, he’ll try various things. Right now we’re done with the show itself and we’re working on the DVD menus – and he refuses to compromise about them, too. For him this isn’t just about the work called "Utena"; right now he’s trying to create the work called "The Utena DVD Box Set." That’s the sense I got.

That’s so true; I can see you’re all striving together as one to make "The Utena DVD Box Set" happen. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today.

Well, i think i catched all the typos, although it is possible one slipped by i doubt it. One thing that confused me though: "Ito: He’s a god among men. Because he hates dishonesty and unreason." It originally said "He's a man among men" but i'm still not very sure if that was a typo or intentional on Hideki Ito's part. I apologize if i fucked up in any manner.

There are other stuff to post, but i should go over them a second time to make sure they're ok/polished.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:41 am

^If anyone's curious, Dream PMed me sometime in the weekend and offered to help me out with these interviews in any way. So, as a way to thank him for his generosity, I gave him copies of some of the interviews and asked him to look into the typos into a lot of the articles and see if he spotted any, since he might of spotted some that I never bothered to during my various times looking over them.

He might just post the stuff I never posted here for posterity reasons. It's up to him, honestly.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:41 am

Isn't all that material already there as http://www.gwern.net/docs/1997-utena#hd-video-remastering-interview-with-the-staff ?

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 am

Hmm, i admit i'm somewhat confused. I thought i was supposed to post the corrected versions in here, and then they got taken to the site. That seems to be a mistake, so i apologize. But yeah, skimming over the version in the site it seems that all the corrections are already there (except the man among men bit but that doesn't seem to be a mistake anyways)
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 am

I have the booklets already, but it's nice that you are putting them online so everyone can enjoy them.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Really need to see this. too bad I don't know anything about Jungian psychology. Lain and Eva had me reading into things enough, can't imagine what this will be like.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:27 pm

sorry this show doesnt have anything to do with Jungian psychology, it's about UFOs and asparagus sandwiches
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:sorry this show doesnt have anything to do with Jungian psychology, it's about UFOs and asparagus sandwiches
Those are the same things.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:48 am

:lol:
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 pm

...what? Okay, I'm really confused now. What does Jung have to do with anything here?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Alas, Kozue is lost to us as well. Chieko Honda has died at age 50 during cancer treatment.

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Atropos wrote:Alas, Kozue is lost to us as well. Chieko Honda has died at age 50 during cancer treatment.

Yes, that's really a significant loss to the anime industry: the lady has a beautifully toned voice. May she rest in peace.
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

TenshinoChibi-kun
Embryo

Hello

•      
  •      

Postby TenshinoChibi-kun » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:46 am

Hi, I'm kind of new, I just joined a few weeks ago and commented on the forum only a few times.

I just finished Utena less than 20 minutes ago...

If I could merely just sigh during EoE, smile and cough at the end of 2.0, sigh and get up slowly after Kannazuki no Miko and finally, just sit in front of the screen after finishing Madoka Magica then slowly go upstairs to type a post of undying appreciation and love for the Puella Magi and the fate they must endure...

Then with Utena, I could hold my mouth agape for the entire time **SPOILER** Utena gets stabbed with the Swords of Hate because she'd rather endure Anthy's suffering and ultimately end the cycle then, watch earnestly as Anthy ditches Akio (nice The Reason You Suck Speak, one of the best I've ever heard) and leaves Ohtori Academy forever. When the lalalas of the final instrumental Rinbu~Revolution begins as Anthy sets off on her journey to find the one who saved her for time immemorial finally began and came to a close and their last words were uttered for our world to ever hear...

I sat in my chair for about ten seconds (I counted). Then I slouched over and put my head in my hands trying desperately to shed a few tears. My eyes did get watery, but nothing severe fell. It almost makes me think about the sense of nostalgia that comes from watching anime, TV, movie, etc. endings that make your heart feel heavy and beating at a slightly sped up tempo than normal. Maybe if I had watched this series earlier in my life, I would have been able to shed some of those tears. But I found, as I did with Eva, KnM and Madoka, that if I didn't shed tears, if I simply saw the last few minutes with the characters in existence before everything finally came to a close, then the pile of emotions and anguished thoughts would still be enough to cover for the tears not shed as my existence is truly changed by my desperate attempt to hold onto these series as a keepsake...a purpose, so that someday, I too, will shine.

The ending of Revolutionary Girl Utena...as well as everything up to that point, my love for almost all of the duel songs, the characters no matter how flawed and mentally frustrated, the lost idealisms, the absurdism and humor, the Shadow Girls' Nigh Incomprehensible Foreshadowing, the heightened and anticipated yet completely forceful and relentless character and scenario-fueled melodrama, the bizarre expressions of obvious and superficial forms and aspects of existence, the incessant repetition and memorization of hearing Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku (all versions), listening to it every single day and never wanting it to stop, trying and failing miserably to sing it offpitch, and so many other things I can't even begin to describe....

I swear, that everything about Revolutionary Girl Utena will forever be inscribed within my soul and mind. That is the power of a miracle, something that could possibly captivate me in a way too idealistic to be considered with logic. But I don't ever want to lose the power of a memory, because nostalgia will forever be my salvation and my undoing. Just as it was for Mikage and so many others.

With that in mind, the way I view the world is going to change. In addition, I will also be obligated to revise my Top 10 List of Anime. Not since last summer when I finished Neon Genesis Evangelion did I expect that sacred anime behemoth to be toppled by anything I would see afterwards, since it was because of shows like Kannazuki and Madoka, which will always remain at number 2 and number 1 unless that changes of its own will, that I even dared venture forward and watch Evangelion.

But Hideaki Anno's magnum opus may have met its match to the nigh incomparable eternal work of his oldest and most beloved compatriot, his best friend and companion through the hell of being an esteemed innovator of incomprehensible art and human conceptual truths, the man who inspired such an intimidating and sacred character for the human mind to ponder, the living and breathing Kaworu Nagisa as it has once been said of him, all of this who with Anno revolutionized the Japanese animation production industry in that world only they would ever know of, Kunihiko Ikuhara. I have idolized this man for some time now, he was the reason I wanted to watch Utena and bring about world revolution, as the same with Sailor Moon and Mawaru-Penguindrum. He may just become an idol of mine, as he has to so many others. But why do we need idols anyway, are they not just Princes who will eventually fall because we expect too much from them? Maybe Ikuni doesn't want my praise, but I still believe I have to give it to him. I will believe in miracles like him, and he will know my true feelings.

In deciding that the anime list will be altered, Evangelion will be moved down. It is no disrespect, for I love that masterpiece like any other fan of anime and most importantly, that specimen that somehow will never die even if nothing is truly eternal other than one person's sense of existing. And clearly, we'd have to rename this forum if there wasn't any comprehension of the "Gospel of the New Era's" everlasting presence. I wanted to have seen a series similar to Evangelion but filled with a new type of power, a new force to be reckoned with. Something the human mind would have very little ability to comprehend, something that defies what society expects from gods, humans, normals, specials, girls, boys, women and men, something that takes the concept of hallowed fantasy tropes and renders them to nothing. I wanted a series that truly could 'revolutionize' the world, to take Eva's place once and for all. Maybe something greater could come around, as a miracle, to also succeed the Brave and Noble Calyx. But I don't think so, not while all of what I've even dared to consider typing so early in the morning I should practically be a lifeless husk would ever be due to anything other than my absolute astonishment and admiration for Her. Because, the Prince who protects the Rose Bride in a world where miracles drive a person toward a Fate Worse than Death, but if they accept who they are and do not try to change it, they will gain their personal salvation. She is truly a masterpiece.

So without further ado, the newly revised anime list of nostalgic bliss and comfort that shall forever be kept close to my heart:

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

2. Kannazuki no Miko

3. Revolutionary Girl Utena

4. Neon Genesis Evangelion

5. Serial Experiments Lain

As the top five have clearly shown, these illustrious and personally magnanimous expressions of human ability to transcribe thought into unparalleled variations of escapist mediums will forever remain as what will shape me as a person going forward. I will recommend these series without fail to anyone who wants their soul to be free, who has not given up hope and wants to know the true reason that we are always protected by our perceptions of reality. And now, maybe Utena Tenjou can also shine as a light upon them and all else, so that someday, we too, can be granted the power to revolutionize our world. And bring the Majesty of the Prince back to our world. To break the chains and laws of Fate, and someday, we shall all shine, as true friends and lovers. Because that, my friends, is what she would want. So...

TAKE OUR REVOLUTION. :handshake:

...THANK YOU...AND GOOD NIGHT.
So first I denied that reality was the way it was. Then I decided love is so much more important than revolutionizing the world for the evulz or because destiny said so. Then I ascended to a higher plane of existence and became one with Anno-san, Ikuni-troll, Kaishaku-tentei, and Urobutcher. And then all was good. SHITSURAKUEN, FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

"Your darkness and hopelessness are like vapor. They're nothing more than shadows that shall melt away and disappear under the Moon's light." -Chikane Himemiya

I am an enigma of comprehensive circumstance. GRANT ME THE POWER TO BRING WORLD IRREVERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 am

I'm glad you enjoy SKU so much, TenshinoChibi-kun. While having its flaws in the way of animation, SKU is a character driven show with its strength supported by its characters' high fleshed-out levels. Focusing only on presentation in the characters' personality/emotions, I myself find SKU to be unmatched by any other anime in the past 15 years, except maybe Please Save My Earth - and that's counting the 21 vol manga beyond the 6 EP OVAs.
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
or

TenshinoChibi-kun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TenshinoChibi-kun » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Yes, I really loved the characters too. I found something just so compelling about them, and there's no way I could pick favorites. It was scary, I felt a sense of nostalgia I didn't understand when I met people like Utena, Anthy, Nanami, Miki, Juri, Saionji, Touga, Shiori. And the list does not stop there. -o-;

It isn't going to rise above third place since it already took Eva's place and I honestly haven't seen enough classic anime to compare it to practically everything. The sense of nostalgia I got from Puella Magi Madoka Magica and KnM is too great for Utena to overcome them. They are great series, in my opinion at least, though I know one is currently a juggernaut and the other is a series that is highly underrated and often bashed for certain various reasons from jaded otaku/ignorant trolls. Despite the fact that both can arguably be seen as spiritual successors to RGU, but that's neither here nor there. :rolleyes:

Utena however was an unforgettable experience, I think my only beef with it was that some characters could have been a bit more fleshed out even if keeping them simple was somewhat Ikuni's intention. My other problem is that I think I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wanted because I had only first seen it at this stage in my life but still many other shows it may have had a lot of influence on without me knowing it. In some ways, I think I would have been more satisfied if I had seen it earlier in my life, especially before some of the series I mentioned. :um:

Nevertheless, I thought and continue to think of it as a magnificent anime and definitely going to go buy the Nozomi box sets and maybe even a soundtrack or two. I have yet to watch the movie, but I plan to and will give my thoughts on that. I think I will enjoy it, despite it being so absurd and experimental at times. :lol:

But it is definitely worth a rewatch, and I have been recommending it to many different people. It really is just a fabulous series everyone should see even if it wouldn't usually be your cup of tea. I even got some fabulous recommendations which compelled me to watch it. ;)

As a side note, I think there were probably a good amount of the psychological and philosophical aspects I missed the first time around, so I'll have to go back to those with some friends/supplementary material who would know how to enlighten me. And I thought Evangelion and Lain took Freud and Jung for a tailspin. No, Jung is in Akio's car probably cringing over the fact and saying, my theories have been turned into existential mindscrew by eccentric Japanese innovators in escapist mediums, HELP!!!!!! <--All of that is probably being said in one of the cemetery's Akio mentioned and the frigging coffin of reality Saionji says we occupy. :bigeyes:

:freud:

I have to say though, I really loved the duel songs and the imagery. And I've been obsessed with Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku for goddess knows how long.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go off and have some immense feels while finishing other series and talking to friends. Good night my fellow Duelists, and may you be granted the power to bring world Revolution!!!!!

;) :heart: :yui_grin: :asuka_thumbsup:

Kay, that's enough emoticons, lol. NEVER ENOUGH, NOTHING IS ETERNAL AND IT IS AN EMPTY MOTION.

:rei_hissyfit: :tongue: :peace: :leekspin:

Okay, I'm done now...
So first I denied that reality was the way it was. Then I decided love is so much more important than revolutionizing the world for the evulz or because destiny said so. Then I ascended to a higher plane of existence and became one with Anno-san, Ikuni-troll, Kaishaku-tentei, and Urobutcher. And then all was good. SHITSURAKUEN, FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

"Your darkness and hopelessness are like vapor. They're nothing more than shadows that shall melt away and disappear under the Moon's light." -Chikane Himemiya

I am an enigma of comprehensive circumstance. GRANT ME THE POWER TO BRING WORLD IRREVERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:54 pm

The remastered DVD sets are finally being released in Australia later this year. It would be reasonable to assume the three sets will be the same if not similar to the North American release from two years ago; but the news announcement does not say anything about the film - a point of concern, and one I will probably ask someone at the Hanabee stall at SMASH! 2013.
Voluntary Illusion.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:00 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:The remastered DVD sets are finally being released in Australia later this year. It would be reasonable to assume the three sets will be the same if not similar to the North American release from two years ago; but the news announcement does not say anything about the film - a point of concern, and one I will probably ask someone at the Hanabee stall at SMASH! 2013.

And there were Blu Rays released like a year ago in Japan, IIRC, but I doubt we'll ever see them here. Shame, because I can bet that the oldish style of the show would've looked great in BD.

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:32 am

On a somewhat related note, there are news (rumors?) on the net that Ikuhara's newest anime, ユリ熊岚 (Yuri Bear Storm) could be debuting as early as this summer. But I haven't seen any concrete news to confirm that yet . . .
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
or

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

Bullshit. They never announce television anime this late. It might still have a shot for Q4 but Q3 is out of question.

I'd put my money on Q1 2014 or Q2 2014

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Do you think that Utena is on the same level as Eva? Would you consider it a masterpiece? I still haven't watched it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Anime and Manga”