Eva as therapy?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:14 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I’ve never really used the show for therapy reasons, but I do remember for a time I would watch that scene from Death/Rebirth where the Eva series is circling Asuka from above while music starts playing just before everything fades to black every morning before going to work.

Cinematographically, that's probably my favorite frame in the series, that or the Eva-02 Arael shots. They're both theraputic and beautifully haunting.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't know if I'd use the show as therapy. It depends on the case, I wouldn't show it to someone feeling suicidel, I don't think they'd make it past passed episode 23. For depresion I'd certainly hope they'd make it to episode 26. I'd stay away from EoE althogether.
Not who you think I am.

Ollli
Embryo

Re: Kimochi warui.

•      
  •      

Postby Ollli » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:27 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:After hesitantly musing about it in my head for a couple days, something clicked. It was like an epiphany, if you'll allow me to claim such a thing. I suddenly understood what it meant. "It's the same as me,"

This is similar to my relationship with Shinji. I discovered Eva when I was 15 and the first time I watched it, I hated Shinji and was in love with Asuka; it took a couple of years to realize that the reason I despised Shinji so much was because he's a reflection of myself. Now he's my favorite (don't know if this has something to do about understanding myself better now)

I've only seen Eva 6 or 7 times in my life (I can only bring myself to watch in the most miserable "broken" moments, otherwise it's overwhelming) and I've had many many "congratulations" times already, so I have advanced.. yet I have not. This takes me to the point that Anno is messing with me.
I watched Rebuild 1 and 2 out of curiosity in one of the best moments of my life, I was happy, committed and busy, so much that I could not relate to the darkfest that 1.0 was and loved the subtle positive attitudes in 2.0. Recently, I re-watched 2.0 immersed in new depression and what I saw was a whole different angle of it and my life. Thus, I finally understood the (not).

ZapX, I've found catharsis and classic psychoanalytic treatment to be useful, SSRIs not so much, which is in agreement to the latest research demonstrating they are useless and only produce their effects through a placebo mechanism in some.

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:14 am

Honestly I find Evangelion to be a terrible form of therapy. I have had on and off depression for the past couple of years, and seriously Evangelion only makes me sadder (if I watch the whole series). I feel fine if I only watch the first 9 or 10 episodes, because that is before the story gets sad. If I watch the show from start to finish I end up pretty sad, because I get very invested in all of the characters and all of the relationships that they form between one another, and all takes a turn for the worst. I say, go to group therapy and not watch Eva into you are in a stable/positive mental state.

It goes for practically all Gainax shows (Gurren Lagann's ending is the saddest).
Last edited by facespace on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PEWPEWPEW

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:44 pm

After seeing End of Evangelion, my life felt better... Whenever I see a horror film, I'd say, "I'd seen worse than that, for I had seen Evangelion." If 2012 came, I wouldn't be scared... I would accept it. (Fine, call me a psycho, why not?)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 pm

View Original Postfacespace wrote:Honestly I find Evangelion to be a terrible form of therapy. I have had on and off depression for the past couple of years, and seriously Evangelion only makes me sadder (if I watch the whole series).
While NGE left me "sadder" after my initial viewing, after I got past that and began analyzing the effect it had on me and why I honestly started to get better. If you never move past that first depressive impact you'll never get to the beneficially therapeutic part.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Honestly... I used to be depressed, seriously, as far back as I could remember my life seemed like it sucked, like it was hellbound in an overnight fedex truck, going to sleep was depressing, waking up was even more, I only hid behind a fake smile, btu kept to myself.

Then i foudn anime, which sorta cheered me up, but I stayed depressed, btu for some reason, on nights and mornings where I watched Evangelion, the world seemed like a better place. Like I was inspired to move beyond depression and into something better. So in a sense, after my family spent lord knows how much for 8 years of therapy and counseling, Evangelion did it for me. To this day when I have a bad day, I just have a seat and sit down and watch, and generally feel better.

I guess it was a feeling of knowing I am (not) alone. Knowing that someoen esle could fathom the feeling of hurting yourself trying to get closer to others. then learning I wasn't the only pervert with a sense of humor also made me smile. But I think over all one character gave em a new view to the world... Nagisa. Knowing he had a pretty much crappy existence from the start, but still holding hope in his heart.

Ariasu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ariasu » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:31 pm

i've used eva as a therapy. and really helped me to see that other's problems are huge compared to mine. and I still use eva as a therapy, just to forget for a hour all daily responsabilities (aka.. study u.u)
too lazy to make a signature u.u

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:12 am

Now that you mention it, I can't remember. Yeah, I've been depressed on and off, but I can't remember reacting to Eva any differently than when I wasn't depressed. Although after my last depression, I've been far more emotionally susceptible. Like, before then, nothing on TV or in movies could make me cry. Nothing. Eva included. But my last time watching it, after the depression, I teared up several times. I specifically remember 6, 15, 22 and 26, but there might be an instance or two that I forgot.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

thomson777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thomson777 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:34 am

watching Eva made me relapse into my high-school depression days due to the fact that my self esteem was less than or equal to zero, I had a highschool crush who knew I liked her but thought of me as a pathetic creepy pervert. That made me so angry that I dreamed of strangling her in my sleep. I made sure to remind myself that, that was all in the past and the things I have done after my high-school days. It made me question why I exist, which I had originally deemed as I existed to stop the suffering others feel, to avenge the unjust suffering I felt as a young boy, by becoming a man of the law. Now I know that I should also work to stop the same kind of suffering I felt growing up in other people. It also made me realize how important communication is. A man cannot go through the mouth of hell alone, he dose it by leaning on his comrades and I firmly believe that if there had been more communication between the characters Armageddon would have been avoided. Righting this out now makes me realize my foolishness in how even though I know this to be true my secrets haven't even been revealed to the ones that matter to me yet.
If I must commit sin for the good of humanity than it can not be.

MJHx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJHx » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:12 am

I suffer from Bi-Polar II and whenever I've watched the series during a depressive episode, it tends to very much amplify my feelings of sadness and emptiness. In short, it tends to make me feel a lot worse... That said, I don't think I've ever understood or appreciated the plights of the characters as much as when I've sat down and watched the entire series during a serious bout of depression... I felt like it just made so much more sense. :sachi_blink:
It just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:47 am

Evangelion would be terrible therapy. After all, you've got Borderline personality/Histrionic personality/Narcissistic personality Asuka, Major Depressive Disorder Shinji, Dependent personality Rei, Super Slut Disorder Misato, and at the end everyone dies. In fact, anyone with a psychiatric diagnosis should stop watching Evangelion altogether.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Then there wouldn't be any fan-base left, Brik.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:24 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Evangelion would be terrible therapy.
All the reasons you gave are the very reason it's such good therapy. It forces people to examine these aspects of themselves through the characters.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:12 am

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:All the reasons you gave are the very reason it's such good therapy. It forces people to examine these aspects of themselves through the characters.

Watching a TV show doesn't make people examine themselves. OK, maybe it does a little bit, but nobody is going to come to any life changing epiphany and reinvent themselves for the better. Only psychotherapy does that.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:09 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Experience doesn't make people examine themselves. OK, maybe it does a little bit, but nobody is going to come to any life changing epiphany and reinvent themselves for the better. Only psychotherapy does that.

Fixed for your convenience.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 am

The only way to use Eva as a therapy would be replacing the patient with Shinji, which is impossible, so forget that.

thomson777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thomson777 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:58 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Watching a TV show doesn't make people examine themselves. OK, maybe it does a little bit, but nobody is going to come to any life changing epiphany and reinvent themselves for the better. Only psychotherapy does that.

WTF did I just post on my last post?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:29 pm

View Original Postthomson777 wrote:WTF did I just post on my last post?

You should know better than to think I read other peoples' posts.
Awesomely Shitty

thomson777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby thomson777 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:54 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:You should know better than to think I read other peoples' posts.

Dam my faith in humanity!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”