Evangelion 2.0 Complete Records Collection

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final installment is scheduled to debut in Japan on January 23, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:05 pm

...aaaand the deleted storyboards keep getting weirder. Evangelion has some really messed up stuff, but I'm not sure any of it comes close to seeing Giant Naked Rei fellating Unit 01's core, then moving to the Eva's head for an open mouth kiss as the humans below watch. I wonder if Evangelion ever has storyboard jams like Rugrats did. If so, most of what's in them probably makes it into the show.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:08 pm

The Asuka face-melt stuff is pretty crazy, wonder why they dropped it?

Shinies
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Maybe they didn't want to get that gory so early? I don't know but the mindrape Asuka was having inside Bardiel was pretty hardcore.

Also if you look at the tunneliel sketches you can see what seems like an entry plug in his neck, what the hell was NERV doing with it?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:25 pm

View Original PostShinies wrote:Also if you look at the tunneliel sketches you can see what seems like an entry plug in his neck, what the hell was NERV doing with it?
Thread already i don't wanna search for it you find it

Shinies
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Uh what? Sorry what the hell are you talking about?

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm 12 and what the balls is this?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Haha, nothing, Link. We were just about to have a feast!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 pm

View Original PostRiotgear wrote:This reminds me - I already have the original release of Carmine - does anyone know anything about the re-release (which has a new cover featuring Asuka)? Going by the title of 'regular edition' I'm assuming there's no actual new content. Because you know, I already bought Die Sterne twice... >.<

From what it looks like, there is no new content. It also appears that it won't have some items that came with the first edition such as the CD-ROM with all the artwork from the book on it (which was why it was so expensive to begin with). So you probably have the better edition. I was seriously thinking of getting it through HLJ, but what made me decide against it (and what TMBounty_Hunter alluded to earlier) was the shipping cost. The fact that all the shipping options cost almost as much as the book itself put me off for the moment. I hoping that things will be different on that front sometime soon.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 29 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

berto
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:31 am

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:The Asuka face-melt stuff is pretty crazy, wonder why they dropped it?

What is that from? The Collections book? Damn it, if it wasn't so Fckn' expenceive I'd already gotten both...
Not who you think I am.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 am

I saw some scans of CRC from NaveryW and wow that is some weird shit. Makes me think of EoE levels of visual weirdness, considering how "tame" (relatively-speaking) NGE itself was.

*Runs off to thread on /m/*

Did 1.0 Complete Records Collection have anything as, well, bizarre, Okama's eyeball-dripping Lilith aside?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:57 am

View Original Postberto wrote:What is that from? The Collections book? Damn it, if it wasn't so Fckn' expenceive I'd already gotten both...

Yeah TMBounty_Hunter's pics he post on /m/, shit's crazy.

SPOILER: Show

SPOILER: Show

Shinies
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 am

Anyone think that maybe they could show some of this weird shit in 3.0? Kinda like Asuka remembering or something like that.

berto
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:26 am

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:Yeah TMBounty_Hunter's pics he post on /m/, shit's crazy.

/m/ as in 4chan? or where?

and yeah that shit is way out there...
Not who you think I am.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:37 am

View Original PostShinies wrote:Anyone think that maybe they could show some of this weird shit in 3.0? Kinda like Asuka remembering or something like that.

It's very unlikely, firstly these two storyboards were discarded in favor of what we got in 2.0. This version of the Bardiel thing didn't happen at all, it's unlikely that this is the direction they wanted the scene to go at all and they completely scrapped it. Secondly there had to have been a reason why they chose not to use these in the first place (maybe they were worried about film ratings due to violence like R-18 or something) thirdly it doesn't really make much sense to have a flashback to an event that has already happened in the very previous film. It's just really dumb to show this very important scene after it actually happens...for whatever reason they could have had to do so.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Shinies: I asked about Q or Eva-08 stuff and according to TM on /m/ (yeah, on 4chan):

There is nothing in the archives section at all about Q and Eva-08. Same way there was nothing about Ha in the 1.0 collection. All there is are the screencaps of the preview in the film section of the book and the storyboards which don't really reveal much.

Other requests will have to wait since it's only lunch break.

Nonoriri: Um, Episode 02 pulled the same thing with showing the flashback to the battle after it happened. (At least 1.0 decided to show the full scene instead of doing a flashback later but...) There's also the DC22 with Kaji and Asuka flashback from before episode 08 (I couldn't see that scene happening in a linear fashion, it'd only make sense once we'd know more about Asuka. And the Sachiel battle works as two parts because Shinji was blocking out what happened.) and probably a few other scenes I'm forgetting...

The point is, flashbacks to events that already happened can be effective if it's done right and are sometimes the only way to show something important.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:08 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Shinies: I asked about Q or Eva-08 stuff and according to TM on /m/ (yeah, on 4chan):

Nonoriri: Um, Episode 02 pulled the same thing with showing the flashback to the battle after it happened. (At least 1.0 decided to show the full scene instead of doing a flashback later but...) There's also the DC22 with Kaji and Asuka flashback from before episode 08 (I couldn't see that scene happening in a linear fashion, it'd only make sense once we'd know more about Asuka. And the Sachiel battle works as two parts because Shinji was blocking out what happened.) and probably a few other scenes I'm forgetting...

The point is, flashbacks to events that already happened can be effective if it's done right and are sometimes the only way to show something important.

This might be true but we can clearly see how they planned to do this scene and how it ended up! They at one point valued showing Asuka in a horrific state as it happened which is to me and them at the time a much more powerful way of showing the event and one that gives great importance to her (even if it is for setting up later events or whatever)

Now the version we got is a very tame and unimportant version, are they saving this for 3.0? Maybe they are for whatever reason which would be made more obvious in 3.0 but that doesn't make it an effective or worthwhile decision as it stands right now.
Last edited by Nonoriri on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:47 pm

If we are to assume 2.0's Bardiel did in fact involve a mindrape for Asuka, as was evidently planned from the production sketches, this raises even more issues.

First and foremost, the incredible callousness of having a tragic, life-defining moment of trauma for one major character while keeping the entire focus of the scene and those following it completely on Shinji's own problems. Which, honestly, are pittance in comparison.

Secondly, what's even supposed to be the purpose of deconstructing Asuka's psyche at this point? She was already one of the more good-hearted and sane characters in 2.0. It's particularly bizarre to do so immediately after she has her apparent epiphany about life, happiness, and other people; where is her story arc supposed to go from here? What is she supposed to be learning?

berto
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Blast! It had to be 4chan, the one place on the internet that once it's gone it's gone forever!!

Did he by any chance archive any of his treads or does he freequent /m/ on certain days?

Anyway, I found both books on Ebay but they are asking for over a hundred dollars on the shipping!! Each!! How big can the book be? Did any one else pay over a hundred for shipping? I tried to google the book but I come up almost always emty handed, any sudgestions on how to google the books?
Not who you think I am.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:10 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:Blast! It had to be 4chan, the one place on the internet that once it's gone it's gone forever!!

Did he by any chance archive any of his treads or does he freequent /m/ on certain days?
The thread is still there. Save the images while you have the chance.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:35 pm

View Original Postberto wrote:Anyway, I found both books on Ebay but they are asking for over a hundred dollars on the shipping!! Each!! How big can the book be? Did any one else pay over a hundred for shipping? I tried to google the book but I come up almost always emty handed, any sudgestions on how to google the books?

ebay is full of space explorers that want to violate uranus

http://www.hlj.com/product/GRWBK-001 3 choices of shipping

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english& ... splay.html sold out for the moment and I think they do EMS only

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4905033004 shipping depends on where you are

I ended up canceling my HLJ pre-order after the whole unsure release date thing and went with amazon instead. Overall I paid 12,000 yen + 3,000 yen shipping/handling + $18.70CAD customs fees. Amazon's way of packaging isn't really suitable for this but my order managed to arrive with only a few slightly damaged corners on the outer cardboard box. Inside it was pretty much perfect since they storyboards are smaller in format slightly than the hardcover book and have additional cardboard around it so that took the last of the damage that made it through.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”