What is the funniest moment you've seen on Eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

lolrei

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:24 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Kaji: Would you like to get tea with me?
Shinji: I am a boy.

Yeah, I'll have to second that as the funniest scene in EoTV. The way that tiny little conversation is played out is just hilarious.

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:I've read more than a few posts where people accuse Shinji of being a prude, and yet (at least in this particular scene) he seems to be the only person there who got Kaji's joke and wasn't offended by the innuendo.

I think the point was that Kaji's innuendo flew right over Shinji's head. Does Shinji really seem like the type to think nothing of someone outright asking him whether Misato's "wild in bed?" If he'd got the innuendo, he'd have been embarrassed at least.

I find it interesting that Rei obviously got it, though.

unit450
Adam

We know NERV has budgets, but come on...

•      
  •      

Postby unit450 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:29 pm

OK I'm not saying that the choking was what funny, but just something I noticed during it.

SPOILER: Show

Didn't catch on until the second time I watched 2.22, but I was chuckling a good amount when I started thinking "Holy **** they STAPLE the armour on those things?"

Although sudden arm transplant Eva 00 Kai makes a bit more sense now.
Rei used Smile.
Shinji, Asuk-You know what? EVERYTHING in existence fainted. Even the Fire Hydrant...
Rei defeated Seele!?

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: lolrei

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:20 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I think the point was that Kaji's innuendo flew right over Shinji's head.

I'm not so sure about that. Even if Shinji didn't instantly understand what Kaji was suggesting, wouldn't all the exaggerated reactions from everyone at the table (especially Misato) have helped him figure it out rather quickly? I mean, just how many different ways could Kaji's remark have been interpreted?

Does Shinji really seem like the type to think nothing of someone outright asking him whether Misato's "wild in bed?" If he'd got the innuendo, he'd have been embarrassed at least.

Perhaps he rationalized that Kaji was not being entirely serious at that moment and that, since the intent was to make an inappropriate joke at Misato's expense, he was pretty much cool with it. I got the impression that, up to that point in the series, Misato had been playfully teasing Shinji on a regular basis, so maybe he felt that a little turnabout was fair play.

Plus, the punchline included the not so terrible bonus of Kaji basically declaring right in front of Shinji's classmates, "Along with piloting Eva, I believe you possess the skills to charm your way into the bed of a hot babe twice your age." Chauvenistic? You betcha, but also a great male bonding moment since it probably qualifies as the first time someone wasn't insulting Shinji's masculinity (which Asuka manages at least twice during that episode).

I find it interesting that Rei obviously got it, though.

I don't think Rei had accompanied them. I'm pretty sure she was back in Tokyo III during that episode. Although IIRC she was present during a similar scene that took place in the manga.

The Fourth Evangelion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The Fourth Evangelion » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:18 am

I like the scene in the car, with Shinji commenting on Misato's driving...
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9237
Go here, and read the story in which UNIT-04 finally shines!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:24 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I find it interesting that Rei obviously got it, though.

I find it interesting that Rei was there at all and I didn't notice her!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bobbk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Bobbk » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:12 am

I laughed hard at Asuka and Shinji training to defeat Israfael. Especially when she punted him.
Massive Captain Falcon fan. Oh, and Eva lover ^_^.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:20 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I find it interesting that Rei was there at all and I didn't notice her!

Quantum magic? Or she's got leet ninja skills :ninja:

Reoyoshi8
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Reoyoshi8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Any scene dub/sub where Shinji is screaming like a banshee and the scene from 2.22 where Kaji asks Shinji for a date.(cause he screams)
hi...

mastervampire
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mastervampire » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 pm

I forget the episode but it was where fuyutsuki was talking to Ritsko? And shes telling him about the tests and hes like

"Oh ok, well i'll expect good news"

Then the scene changes and there are these huge flashing warning signs and alerts.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:18 pm

The beginning of episode 16. To me, that scene becomes one of the most hilarious scenes in the whole show if you actually knew/live with someone who acted like Asuka in the scene, and because of that, I'll go so far to say that it's probably the most realist scene of the Shinji/Asuka paring, because it's so true to life.

Someone at Ganiax just had to be an older sibling or something, there's no way an only child could of made that scene authentic.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Every moment Misato makes an epic face. They will never fail to make me pause and fall on the floor with laughter, and make all my brothers look at them (usually resulting in them calling me a dumb-ass).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:58 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:The beginning of episode 16. To me, that scene becomes one of the most hilarious scenes in the whole show if you actually knew/live with someone who acted like Asuka in the scene, and because of that, I'll go so far to say that it's probably the most realist scene of the Shinji/Asuka paring, because it's so true to life.

Someone at Ganiax just had to be an older sibling or something, there's no way an only child could of made that scene authentic.

This! Shinji's facial expression is perfect at both being humorous and subtly showing the audience he can only be pushed so far. I wish I had a pic to do the scene justice.

Also Episode 9. It's just so silly and a nice break from the drama previous episodes had been.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Born of Lilith » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 pm

I thought it was funny when Kaworu cluelessly gave Shinji a good view of his bologna poney.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

The Abhorrent
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby The Abhorrent » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Rei in the alternate reality sequence of episode 26.

The sequence itself is quite funny, especially in contrast to the later episodes in the series. However, nothing drives the point home as effectively as the energetic (and rather witty) incarnation of Rei. It's a complete reversal of her usual character, but the change is so sudden severe that it just works. The whole of the gag culminates in the immortal "Balogna Pony" line.
He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
Isn't afraid to stand alone.

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:18 am

I find all of the dialogue at the start of Episode 11 to be hilarious.

Fuyutski: "It's hot..."
Gendo: "Yes."

Ritsuko: "Uuuuh... we didn't do it."

Etc

But my favourite thing was something I found just today. In Episode 7, a human work, there's big letter inside Hyuga's transport during Misato's briefing of Shinji.

SEFTY FIRST

I love that Engrish exists in a post-apocalyptic future.
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

makinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby makinami » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 am

This gets me every goddamned time.

Or, as it always strikes me...

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:35 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Kaji: Would you like to get tea with me?
Shinji: I am a boy.

I never got that joke. Ever. I still don't get that joke.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

makinami
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby makinami » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:41 pm

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:I never got that joke. Ever. I still don't get that joke.

It's a cheesy nampa line. The American equivalent would be "What's your sign?"

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:54 pm

"It's hot."
"Yes."

One of the only times I laughed out loud in the show.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:55 pm

"It's hot..."
"Yes."

All in character too!
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”