Q

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Q

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:30 am

Is there a reason Evangelion 3.0 is titled Q instead of Kyu? Well, yes, there's the whole "quickening" thing, but I'm going to disregard that so this post has a purpose for being. And really, I'm getting ahead of where I should be, but only because even if Khara never thought of or considered this, it would be really awesome if they did.

In terms of Biblical study, "Q" refers to the Q source, a hypothetical lost document that, along with Mark (Spoilers in link!), inspired the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. A substantial portion of Biblical scholars believe Matthew and Luke were based on the Gospel of Mark, but these two contain information in common that adds to and in some cases contradicts Mark. Thus is postulated the existence of another common source, called "Q" from the German word "Quelle". So yeah, "Q source" is redundant.

Q is significant if it existed because it contained all the quotes attributed to Jesus unless it didn't exist in which case it did not.

What does this mean for Evangelion: Q? In all likelihood, absolutely nothing. This thread should probably be locked.

edmundasBakashinji
Embryo

Re: Q

•      
  •      

Postby edmundasBakashinji » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:36 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Is there a reason Evangelion 3.0 is titled Q instead of Kyu? Well, yes, there's the whole "quickening" thing, but I'm going to disregard that so this post has a purpose for being. And really, I'm getting ahead of where I should be, but only because even if Khara never thought of or considered this, it would be really awesome if they did.

In terms of Biblical study, "Q" refers to the Q source, a hypothetical lost document that, along with Mark (Spoilers in link!), inspired the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. A substantial portion of Biblical scholars believe Matthew and Luke were based on the Gospel of Mark, but these two contain information in common that adds to and in some cases contradicts Mark. Thus is postulated the existence of another common source, called "Q" from the German word "Quelle". So yeah, "Q source" is redundant.

Q is significant if it existed because it contained all the quotes attributed to Jesus unless it didn't exist in which case it did not.

What does this mean for Evangelion: Q? In all likelihood, absolutely nothing. This thread should probably be locked.

Ha, for me "Q" is somethin that Anno wanna to express the remaining bulky scene in 45mins and you'll many scene that happened in NGE and end them in a flash...

In cantonese, "急' can be interpreted as "急急地完結很多的場景' , as same as I said above...

if anyone dislikes Cantonese, sorry for that

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:26 am

SSD's own two cents:

Jyo-Ha-Kyu (Prolouge, Destroy, Rush) from Noh plays. They simply swapped out "Kyu" for "Q" to maintain a play on words (Kyu/Q) and they went with "Quickening"* as the full title.

*This term means fetal movement (Shinji and Rei inside Yui/Eva-01. They're back in the womb, so to speak.) but, my guess is it could also be a quick, fast, story; one event after another.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:30 am

THERE WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD AND THE TOPIC WAS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE ONE LETTER LONG! CHANGE IT BACK!
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 am

Not gonna change it back until 2.22 is out, at the very least. Wait till May 26 at the earliest.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:40 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Not gonna change it back until 2.22 is out, at the very least. Wait till May 26 at the earliest.
But there aren't any spoilers in the post...

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:45 am

Maybe not that post, but later posts? If you remove that word from the title, all spoilers will have to be hidden within spoiler tags and obnoxious spoiler rules will apply in this thread. At present, you can have all the spoiler-filled discussion you want about what might happen in 3.0/ Q.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:45 am

People typically aren't going to know about the change from Kyu to Q (Quickening) unless they saw the 2.0 film, so the title will be a spoiler in itself. (If you want a thread to be spoiler-free, you have to mark it "No spoilers" otherwise the staff will have to make a judgment call.)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:People typically aren't going to know about the change from Kyu to Q (Quickening) unless they saw the 2.0 film, so the title will be a spoiler in itself.
The title change has been discussed in nonspoiler areas. But even if it hadn't been... REALLY?

No, it's not a big deal having the spoiler tag, but saying the letter Q replacing "Kyu" is a spoiler is laughable.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 am

The full title is Quickening, the preview even displays such. (Hence the title being considered a spoiler.)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:02 pm

And when all the movies are out, people who haven't seen any of the films yet will be buying a 4-disc set that clearly has the title of the third film on the package.

The whole thread has now been about the title being a spoiler. It was supposed to be about something else equally pointless. I don't like myself anymore.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:08 pm

If this thread was meant to be about something else, you have to show that in the thread title somewhere. Same with marking this as spoilers/no spoilers. Otherwise how will people know what it's actually about? They're going to think this is film-title discussion/speculation/theories like I did.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:19 pm

Right. Q by itself means nothing, but when attached to "Kyu", it runs into a huge tornado marked "SPOILER TERRITORY". Like I said, it's far more sense to make it a spoiler thread than a no-spoiler one. Obnoxious spoiler rules remain in effect.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Maybe the Q is a reference to the 1965 series Ultra Q. Just a thought since like NGE it tries to be heavy in mystery and whatnot.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:16 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Maybe the Q is a reference to the 1965 series Ultra Q.
Or Visitor Q.
Or Avenue Q.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Yeah not really fond of the title "Q". I like things to be uniform. 3.0 would have been just fine.

Interesting theories on it though. Don't have much to add.

Maybe the Q is a reference to the 1965 series Ultra Q. Just a thought since like NGE it tries to be heavy in mystery and whatnot.

Or the omnipitant species, Q, from star-trek. Wasn't that a species that reached it's absolute pinnacle of evolution and transcended to being god-like... Sounds like instrumentality to me.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:02 pm

View Original Postskikes wrote:Yeah not really fond of the title "Q". I like things to be uniform. 3.0 would have been just fine.

Nothing so far saying 3.0's gotten the axe. The English title for "Evangelion Ha" (= the second movie) wasn't mentioned at all in the preview after 1.0. "Evangelion Q - Quickening" just seems to be a replacement for "Evangelion Kyuu". If any uniformity has been disturbed, it's the "titles taken from Noh movements" thing.

We can probably still expect to see the "Evangelion 3.0: You ___ (Not) _____" title at some point. Well, unless they decide to break that mold, too. But... something about chickens and counting.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:50 pm

序 - beginning
破 - rising action
急/Q - climax (quickining)
? - ending
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:00 am

I split out some of the spammy posts. Stay on topic, dorks. Thanks.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:56 pm

Q is actually a fairly common way to represent the kanji 急. The nickname for the Fuji-Express(Kyuko) (富士急行) is the Fuji-Q (富士Q)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”