Liking NGE -> liking mecha anime?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Liking NGE -> liking mecha anime?

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:15 am

Upon my ongoing journey into the realm of anime, i made a discovery: i like NGE. I don't like mecha anime in the least.

I watched the Buster series and TTGL, and though they were kinda fun, i was far from being blown away, and i realized that i did it more out of curiosity inspired by NGE itself rather then genuine interest. In the case of most other Super Robot series (Mazinger stuff, Gaoi Gar Gar), seeing a few pictures taken from them put me off of ever giving them a look.

So, my question is: are there others around her like me, who loved NGE, but aren't really keen on mecha anime in general (for the record, the so called Real Robot titles i tried all seemed to be intriguing at first, but they never failed to disappoint in the long run)?

And while we are at it: can NGE really be enjoyed to it's fullest, even if the viewer isn't completely drenched in many of the tropes it's using/bending/breaking?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:31 am

I'm typically not into mecha anime at all, except for NGE and TTGL. Usually I don't even watch action-y/shounen shows at all, so that puts most mecha out the door for me.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Liking NGE -> liking mecha anime?

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:09 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:for the record, the so called Real Robot titles i tried all seemed to be intriguing at first, but they never failed to disappoint in the long run

Shows such as...?

losername
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby losername » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Everyone likes robots. Everyone.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Liking NGE -> liking mecha anime?

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:27 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Shows such as...?

Code Geass: a masterful lesson in pissing away a shows own potential.

Gundam 00 and Wing: got bored with them. Both of them.

Full Metal Panic!: i don't particularly recall any reasons why i dropped it after one episode. But i did. Might give it a second chance.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:37 pm

FWIW, I avoided watching NGE for the longest time because I heard it fell into the mecha/shounen genre of anime (though I also heard it was psychological which seriously got me interested) and because I somehow had the impression Anno was an egotistical asshole. Because that was so many years ago, I have no idea if my thinking this had to do with how Anno utilized his Depression to create Eva, or if I heard something about the Gainax Cash Cow, or whatever else. :shrug:

That aside, I'm really not into mecha series all that much. I'm much more into shoujo or comedy. Although I absolutely loved Gunbuster and Diebuster as well as TTGL, but all of those were still by Gainax so they might not be a good judge of "typical" mecha series.

I watched some of Robotech and Voltron growing up, both of which I loved.... But I never watched any of the Gundam series because I didn't think it'd interest me.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:47 pm

I've never had much of an interest in most mecha shows. Even TTGL didn't do much of anything for me. Watching action scenes for the sake of action scenes tends to just bore me.

Really, I think I kind of liked NGE more before I found out it was a subversive take on themes I don't care about from a genre I don't watch.

I like the characters, though Image

CazMu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CazMu » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:55 pm

Eva was good because it was just so much more than a mecha anime. For a start when you realise what these REALLY 'robots' are, its just OMG epic. Well, thats what I thought anyways. But to me, other mecha anime just seems quite souless and non very 3 dimensional unlike eva.
This Shit's Gone Way Too Far

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Eh, it depends n my mood... Sometimes a fairly serious robot show can be worth watching, but other times I find myself wondering if the show wouldn't have been better without them.

Code Geass, for example, is probably the later. There's a good show in there somewhere but it's smothered by too many 'appeal to everyone' elements.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:29 pm

I've seen three mecha anime series (not counting Ideon because I never finished)

-TTGL
-RahXephon
-Gundam SD

First one was tolerable, but I was meh at the end.
Second one was palatable, but RahXephon is essentially Eva produced a crappy Xerox copy machine.
Thrid was suckballsman.jpg

As for movies, I've seen Oshii take a big poopy on the whole genre with his ugly absurdism, and some other films here and there that I can't remeber. NGE is the only one I considered worth doing a paper on montage for, so I suppose that validates Eva.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:42 pm

The only mecha series I've loved are: NGE, TTGL, and Diebuster.

To a lesser extent I have enjoyed: Escaflowne, Full Metal Panic!, and Gunbuster.

More generic mecha series like the Gundams, Code Geasses, and Eureka Sevens, are the ones I can't get into. I think it may have something to do with story. If the show has a great story and really good characters, I can enjoy it. The story has to come first and the mecha has to come second. If the show does that, then I'm all for it. Overall, I'm less a fan of mecha and more a fan of a great story.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:02 pm

I hadn’t seen any robot shows prior to NGE save for some of the Gundam shit that aired on Toonami (Wing & G). The Gundam stuff was OK when I was younger (I thought G Gundam was retarded, though), but when I tried to rewatch Wing last year with my friend, I just couldn’t take it seriously. In fact I didn’t even rewatch the whole thing—I dropped it after the first DVD was over with.

Since NGE, I’ve seen roughly 10 more mecha series, only two of which were real disappointments*. I dig giant robots pretty much regardless of the context, but story, characters, form, etc all take priority over mecha design usually. Plus it seems like a lot of shows weigh themselves down with unruly realism problems after introducing implausible giant robots, and that kind of inconsistency is often puts a strain on suspension of disbelief. I guess it’s just that the “mecha genre” has fused with so many other genres that it’s no longer a distinct thing—having giant robots is more or less just another aspect that can be incorporated into a work rather than being the primary focus of it like in the old super robot shows or even Gundam.

*Eureka 7, because it tried to do everything at once and in doing so fell short of doing anything well, and
Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, mostly because it was boring.

Ideon underwhelmed me but in retrospect it wasn’t too bad, but Tomino’s previous effort, MSGundam, is superior is just about every way barring the understandable improvement in animation quality.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:04 pm

"Mecha" is a pretty broad genre that ranges from pure action to comedy to serious drama. Old shows like Go Nagai shows aren't really going to appeal to some people. It's a lot of action and the narrative is mostly driven by people telling each other what's going on. Macross is usually lumped into mecha, and that franchise is (mostly) drama. Likewise, there's a wide range of what you can get out of the Gundam franchise, some of it is pure action, some of it is drama, and some series is absurd. There's mecha shows like "Birth" from 1984 which is a little of everything, as short as it is. Or Dirty Pair, Iczer-One, Bubblegum Crisis (and later, A.D. Police), or even Gunbuster, all 80's shows that really don't fit into the traditional mecha mold.

The Patlabor movies and Virus Buster are drama, Roujin Z, Tenamonya Voyagers and Galaxy Fraulein Yuna is comedy, Nadesico is parody, Giant Robo is mostly action, and probably the best of the 90's, Escaflowne (which is in a lot of ways similar to Evangelion). I guess Big O is also part of the 90's, it's pretty unique for a mecha show.

There's a lot of rehashes of older shows like Dangaizer, Getter, Dancouga and most recently Mazinger Z which are like their old action based counterparts. I don't think there's really been a really good mecha show in the last decade. Full Metal Panic was pretty good, it's heavily character driven and the 2nd series is comedy. Diebuster is also one probably worth noting. The 2 Macross shows (Zero and Frontier) are also worth the watch. There's, of course, TTGL. Oh, and Bokurano. There's probably a dozen or so other mecha shows from 2000's that I've seen that aren't even worth the mention.

Traditional mecha fans tend to like te action arc of Evangelion more, because after that point, the narrative isn't so much driven by the action. As a whole, Eva is probably one of those "a little bit of everything". So some traditional mecha fans won't consider it "mecha anime" in the same way they probably won't consider "Kannazuki no Miko" (which is a yuri show with giant robots) mecha anime.

J_Faulkner
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby J_Faulkner » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:15 pm

I would endorse Ornette's suggestion of the Patlabor movies (there is a series, but I never got round to watching it) if you want something more cerebral. Also:

- Orguss 02
- Gasaraki

Looking back, I don't really like any of these, but these are the ones I least dislike. Escaflowne, the movie, is not too bad either, with some top animation. However, it has boring juvenile protagonists.

Avoid Vandread though -- a true abomination from the innermost circle of hell.
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me.
Try my reins and my heart.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:38 pm

View Original PostJ_Faulkner wrote:I would endorse Ornette's suggestion of the Patlabor movies (there is a series, but I never got round to watching it) if you want something more cerebral.
the movies are great (P2 is one of my favorite animated films period), but the TV show is more like the '88 OVA/the light-hearted aspects of the first film. If you took GitS:SAC, turned it into a more run of the mill cop-drama, and removed its over-arching narratives, the result is roughly what you have with Patlabor TV. Fun, but not anything amazing.

J_Faulkner
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby J_Faulkner » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:04 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:If you took GitS:SAC, turned it into a more run of the mill cop-drama, and removed its over-arching narratives, the result is roughly what you have with Patlabor TV. Fun, but not anything amazing.

When I think of anime cop-dramas, I think Dominion Tank Police, and if Patlabor the series is something like that but better, then it just may be worth my time trying to find the CDs I used to have ages ago (although I may have thrown them away). However, I watched some episodes of GitS and was not impressed in the slightest.

And how could I have missed out this series from my previous post:

- Candidate for Goddess

This is truly the Evangelion-beater. World-class characters with a world-class dress sense, fantastic computer-generated graphics, names that just roll off the tongue and so good that they didn't even need to give it a proper ending, because it activates the imagination of the viewers to such an extent that they can just make one up.
Examine me, O Lord, and prove me.
Try my reins and my heart.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:24 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Code Geass: a masterful lesson in pissing away a shows own potential.

Gundam 00 and Wing: got bored with them. Both of them.

Full Metal Panic!: i don't particularly recall any reasons why i dropped it after one episode. But i did. Might give it a second chance.

So you've only watched some recent and/or super-popular shows. Geass and Gundam 00 to a lesser extent suffer from a second season trainwreck syndrome. Wing is among the worst Gundam shows ever produced, and it doesn't really reflect the franchise as a whole. Full Metal Panic suffers from its first season being made by GONZO. I would recommend that you watch some of the slightly older classic OAVs like Macross Plus, Giant Robo, Gunbuster, Gundam 0080 and the original Patlabor OAV. If none of those leave an impact, then you can pretty honestly say the genre just isn't for you.

View Original Postran1 wrote:Second one was palatable, but RahXephon is essentially Eva produced a crappy Xerox copy machine.

Yeah, if you ignore all those other works that greatly influenced it, like Megazone 23.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:But I never watched any of the Gundam series because I didn't think it'd interest me.

Try the original movie trilogy, followed by 0080. Not a big time investment there.

View Original PostCazMu wrote:Eva was good because it was just so much more than a mecha anime. For a start when you realise what these REALLY 'robots' are, its just OMG epic.

That's what happens in Ideon, when it finally starts getting really good veeery late in the show.

View Original PostJ_Faulkner wrote:Avoid Vandread though -- a true abomination from the innermost circle of hell.

The first season is indeed dreadful, but the second season redeems it somewhat by being way more ludicruous and entertaining. GONZO repeats this same formula with Gravion.

EDIT:

J_Faulkner wrote:- Candidate for Goddess

This is truly the Evangelion-beater. World-class characters with a world-class dress sense, fantastic computer-generated graphics, names that just roll off the tongue and so good that they didn't even need to give it a proper ending, because it activates the imagination of the viewers to such an extent that they can just make one up.

Why don't you recommend Mecha Manos and Plan Nine from Getter Dimension while you're at it?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:45 pm

I was going to say that I've not really been into mecha -- but thinking about it, I've had a fair exposure, even if it's not a genre of choice.

Back in the 80s/early90s, it was manga I collected like Appleseed (and many I didn't but just skimmed an issue or two of before deciding were crap, like Cannon God Exxaxion -- WTF, man?).

NGE I visited on the grounds that I ought to at least try a giant robot anime series, if I was dabbling in anime, and that at least had a reputation as one of the better titles.

Mecha and mecha-esque (e.g. Rayearth OVA) series I've seen since were effectively confined to the omnivorous phase of anime consumption (and even then I dropped a couple of titles, and didn't pick up all that I could have done), partly constrained by availability and in some cases primarily out of historical interest (e.g. Ideon, the little bit of Gundam that I've seen).

TTGL is the anomaly as it was the only non-historical one, and that because it appealed greatly to my inner 12-year-old.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:13 pm

View Original Postlosername wrote:Everyone likes robots. Everyone.

Very true. It's when that's the ONLY thing working for an anime that turns me off to the genre.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm not really into the mecha genre. Really these days the only mecha anime I like is NGE and Gurren Lagann.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”