Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Anime society showings advice

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:22 pm

I shall get stright to the point: for the anime society that I am running, what should I show?
The conditions are:

Maximum 15 episodes (once every week)

Can be 15+ (18+ as long as it is not due to sexual content)

Online streaming possible (even though I am against it... the voting members insist)

Ecchi allowed, but no gratuitous amount of it (when teachers come into inspect, quite embarassing)

No rubbish harem anime (harem allowed, but must have substance- not a lot)

Mixture of people (Some Japanese, an American well versed in all of the Gundams except UC Gundam, a majority English audience who have seen NGE, likes mecha, likes harem, devout haters of Naruto and Bleach and other rubbish shounen spin-off and with notable differences between individuals which willl take too long to write)

Comedy, seriousness doesn't matter, but preferance on a balance of both

If possible, an anime that will make the passers-by stop saying "Uhhhh, anime geeks" "Uhhhh, you all like hentai" "Uhhhhh, this is cartoon" "Uhhhhh this is shit" and other degrading comments.

And NOT NGE
I feel old

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:31 pm

I shall get stright to the point: for the anime society that I am running, what should I show?

Genesis of Aquarion. It's a twenty six episode series so you'll need a couple weeks to finish it, but it is substancy and has a mech battle in nearly episode. If that doesn't work try Betterman or RahXephon (both also 26 eps). If that (somehow) fails try Getter Robo Armageddon or New Getter Robo since they're both only 13 eps. If that fails try 08th MS Team or Gundam 0083 (only 12 and 13 eps respectively). If that fails I quit.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Hmm...

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (single seasons are always under 15)

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Genesis of Aquarion. It's a twenty six episode series so you'll need a couple weeks to finish it, but it is substancy and has a mech battle in nearly episode.

I should watch this for lolkawamori factor

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:43 pm

I suppose the first question I should ask is in regard to sexual content, are you speaking about indirect or direct references to it?

For your ~15 episode format, I would suggest Season 1 of Black Lagoon, which has indirect references to sex, but no direct sexual actions by any of the characters.

Excellent series with enough substance, philosophy, and intrigue to keep anyone amused at only 12 episodes. If you can fit more time, then move onto its 2nd season, to get 12 more.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Anime society showings advice

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 pm

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:No rubbish harem anime (harem allowed, but must have substance- not a lot)

WHUT. Your club has a rule about harem anime?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:53 pm

12-13 episode series with official English language release that I have enjoyed and won't push the boundaries

Aria the Animation
Rocket Girls
Blue Drop
Maria-sama ga miteru (s1)
Kino's Journey
Souko no STRAIN
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Serial Experiments Lain
Rozen Maiden (s1)
Paranoia Agent

Streamed on crunchyroll

Sora no Woto
Ristorante Paradiso
Aoi Hana

With fansubs, I'd add

Mononoke
Mouryou no Hako
Hataraki Man
Kurenai
Kaiba
Earl and Fairy
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight
Hakaba Kitarou
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:59 pm

@Eva Monkey: If we constantly watch harem anime, the school will say "Unproductive use of society time and school resources" and will force a closure on our society.

Hmmm... interesting mix of anime....
I feel old

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 pm

I should watch this for lolkawamori factor

I have no idea what you just meant.
Your club has a rule about harem anime?

I don't even know what a harem anime is, but I've seen Defectron refer to Code Geass as one so I assumed it is terrorist anime (or something). Can I have a definition real quick?
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:18 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I have no idea what you just meant.

Aquarion is series originally created, written and directed by Shoji Kawamori - principal creator of the whole Macross franchise (and I bet he also designed Aquarion mechas). Every Macross I've seen which he has directed has been awesome and guy is brilliant director.

Perhaps most famous of Kawamori's non-Macross series would be Escaflowne (albeit he didn't direct it). Others include Earth Girl Arjuna, Aquarion, Spring&Chaos film (I'm personally pretty hyped for this, too bad it's so obscure) etc.

Imp, it would help if you could describe what kind of taste the members have (if you know this, that is)

edit: some more

Sora no Woto
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Kino's Journey
Last edited by Xard on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:18 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I don't even know what a harem anime

A show where the protagonist is usually surrounded by or has daily conflicts with about three, four, or a lot more women who show a lot of fan service.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 pm

I don't even know what a harem anime is

It's a piece of animated fiction based off of my life.

Mr. Tines wrote:Kino's Journey
Sora no Woto
Ristorante Paradiso
Serial Experiments Lain

Cream of the crop right here. Will not disappoint.

Lain is a must-see.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:32 pm

A show where the protagonist is usually surrounded by or has daily conflicts

It's a piece of animated fiction based off of my life.

Ugh, I don't like those types of stories, they're so boring and are almost never funny or interesting!
Aquarion is series originally created, written and directed by Shoji Kawamori - principle creator of the whole Macross franchise (and I bet he also designed Aquarion mechas). Every Macross I've seen which he has directed has been awesome and guy is brilliant director.

Wait, the guy who made Macross also made Aquarion!? Holy f**k! And to think I thought the vehicle mode of Alpha Aquarion was based on Wing Zero. :lol:

And come to think of it Cherubim Graave does look similar to a Glaug.
Perhaps most famous of Kawamori's non-Macross series would be Escaflowne (albeit he didn't direct it).

This I kind of half knew, mainly because both series also have the same composer.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:36 pm

I don't even know what a harem anime is

It's the technical term for "bad anime"

Though admittadly there was actually a few I enjoyed, but the genre is 99% crap. Unfortunately about 90% of the anime that comes out these days seems to either be harem anime or dork fantasy slice of life anime which is usually just as bad.
Last edited by Defectron on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:37 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:U
Wait, the guy who made Macross also made Aquarion!? Holy f**k! And to think I thought the vehicle mode of Alpha Aquarion was based on Wing Zero. :lol:

And come to think of it Cherubim Graave does look similar to a Glaug.

Well, Shoji Kawamori is a legend and one of those few genuine anime creators that can do pretty much everything from directing to writing to mecha designs. Really, he is only surpassed by Miyazaki in terms of creative versatility (Anno might reach same level)

Anyway, even more famed than as director Kawamori is famous as mecha designer so your heart should belong to that guy. :lol:

His most famous and influential creations are of course VFs of Macross franchise. Some other works to which he did mechanical designs include:

- Aquarion
- Eureka Seven
- Escaflowne
- Aquarion
- Patlabor 2
- Ghost in the Shell
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Stardust Memory
- others

Oh, and he is also original (oft. uncredited) designer of Optimus Prime. So yeah.

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:This I kind of half knew, mainly because both series also have the same composer.

WHATWAHTWAHTWAHTAGAGHAHghbabszdhx

Kanno did Aquarion? Holy shit, yet another series on my to watch list

I've never heard of this. Are you sure you're not confusing Aquarion with Arjuna?
Last edited by Xard on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:38 pm

Haruhi Suzumiya. First season is 14 episodes, which is perfect for the length you need. It has a good plot, and certainly has mass appeal. I'd just be sure to watch it in broadcast order and not chronologically.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 pm

- Aquarion
- Eureka Seven
- Escaflowne
- Aquarion
- Patlabor 2
- Ghost in the Shell
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: The Stardust Memory

You listed Aquarion twice (of course if you mean the OVA version too that's understandable).

Never heard of Patlabor and I've never seen Ghost in The Shell or Eureka Seven (although the latter I intend to see some time this May). Gundam 0083 is my second favorite UC Gundam anime and Physalis is my favorite UC gundam so that's pretty awesome.
Oh, and he is also original (oft. uncredited) designer of Optimus Prime. So yeah.

So THAT's why Valkyries remind me of Transformers so much!
Kanno did Aquarion? Holy shit, yet another series on my to watch list

I've never heard of this. Are you sure you're not confusing Aquarion with Arjuna?

Kanno's first name is Yoko, correct?

And if you're going to see Aquarion try the dubbed version since the subbed is, er, well, kind of bleh. It's also one of those series that gets better as it goes on, so don't expect absolutely everything in one or two eps, see it to the end.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Anime society showings advice

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:34 pm

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:Maximum 15 episodes (once every week)

Does it have to be under 15 episodes?

That effectively strips out a HUGE portion of titles that could be watched.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 pm

I'd support the motion of Haibane Renmei or Serial Experiments Lain although Lain would probably confuddle your group. Which could be a good thing. :D

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm

http://www.tesuji.org/ann/episodes_ratings.html

Just scroll down to where the episode lengths are what you want. From there, the list is sorted by rating. Anything 8 and above I'd recommend. Check the left column for genres and themes to further narrow down.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I don't even know what a harem anime is, but I've seen Defectron refer to Code Geass as one so I assumed it is terrorist anime (or something). Can I have a definition real quick?

I have no idea what Defectron is talking about. It's a genre, usually falls under romance, slice of life, comedy, and/or drama, and usually involves a single male lead with a lot of female leads that all want to jump in his pants. Example: Tenchi Muyo.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:19 pm

I have no idea what Defectron is talking about. It's a genre, usually falls under romance, slice of life, comedy, and/or drama, and usually involves a single male lead with a lot of female leads that all want to jump in his pants. Example: Tenchi Muyo.

Code geass did have a lot of harem anime elements, though it may not have been a pure harem anime. It's essentially what you get when you cross gundam wing with deathnote and a really shitty harem anime. The harem anime filler episodes which they would have occasionally irritated me almost as much as the plot contrivences on that show. Though one thing that sets it apart from other harem anime is the fact that lelouch is an ammoral meglomaniac, which causes most of his love interests to either lose interest in jumping his pants or get killed. One reason why I dislike most harem anime is the protagonist is usually some wishy washy fool with no personality and no sex drive. Lelouch at least had a fairly well defined character compared to other people in that genre.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Anime and Manga”