Laserdisc Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Laserdisc Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:57 pm

The Laserdisc player.

Discuss.

I loved the laser disc player when I was younger and I have a lot of nostalgia for it. I find it interesting that bonus features that some movies on a laserdisc had never made it to DVD.

I've thought about buying a Laserdisc and a few movies just for the sake of nostalgia.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Agreed, I would get one for the nostalgic reasons.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm

Switching discs mid-movie... fail.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 pm

For real nostalgia, why not get a 16mm projector? I remember when these were everywhere. At school all the educational films were actually shown on film. Yeah, the 9 minutes per reel was a pain, and the sound was crap, but the picture was awesome.

That's how I first saw The Devil and Daniel Mouse, Disney's Sleepy Hollow, and tons of the Three Stooges shorts.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 pm

View Original PostBaz wrote:For real nostalgia, why not get a 16mm projector?

I did not own (or I should my parents did not own) nor was I introduced to a 16mm projector when I was younger. It has no nostalgic value to me.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm

There's no reason to keep one unless there's something that's only been released on LD and not on DVD. While back in the 90's when it was the premium format vs analog tapes (when players were actually affordable), it's completely obsolete now.

You don't even get a marginal difference in output quality. I understand that vinyl is annoying to deal with, but take Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" (original EDR pressing) and put that on my granite plate turn table, and it sounds better than any digital version of that album in existence. You don't have the same with laserdiscs. Unlike DVD's, LD's were analog video signals encoded into a metal plate. It's not digital, as in a signal that has been quantized and encoded into discrete 1's and 0's. I think the audio layer was probably digital, like in CD's and DTS, but the video is still analog. You're just reading off of a medium that doesn't degrade over time like magnetic tapes.

My thoughts, having owned a LD player in the 90's and mostly rented LD, good riddance. When watching a movie, you had to flip the disc. Having only an SD TV back then, you don't get much out of having the extra hardware, with the possible exception that you can watch your favorite movie, or episode of ST-TNG a hundred times with no degradation.

As for a film projector. Problems are getting the reels to watch anything, and if something breaks, you're going to need to know where to get parts for it.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:47 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:There's no reason to keep one unless there's something that's only been released on LD and not on DVD.

THIS. Sadly that's the case with Edward Yang's films (apart from Yi Yi) - and the LD releases are Taiwanese. So, yeah, life sucks.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:57 pm

I heard that the Japanese Evil Dead laserdisc is suppose to be the best quality version.... WANT.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Switching discs mid-movie... fail.

This. A bunch of friends and I were trying to do that Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz sync at this guy's house, seeing as he had a huge ass projector. Unfortunately, it was on laser disc, and it threw everything off when we had to switch the disc. It had been working quite well up to that point.

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:04 pm

In my mind, laser disks will be forever linked with karaoke booths and blue arcade games. Those are the only places that I ever encountered them.
Software Error. Press left mouse button to continue.
Guru Meditation #00000004.0000AAC0

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:27 pm

My dad has a somewhat large collection of laserdisks. Compared to DVD, the picture quality is worse, but the audio quality is better. Plus, if you have a shitload of movies on laserdisk, what's the point of wasting your money to rebuy them all on a new format? Just rebuy the ones you love and watch over and over again. We had a player that would automatically switch sides, so we didn't need to get up and flip the disk. The change only took about 10-15 seconds, and wasn't all that jarring to the movie watching experience.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Film and Video”