What was SEELE's purpose for Kaworu?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

What was SEELE's purpose for Kaworu?

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:33 pm

So did they try to trick him into merging with Lilith? Or something? Other than to be a plot device, what's the actual reason for Kaworu's creation?
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:38 pm

So did they try to trick him into merging with Lilith? Or something?

I assumed better dummy plugs for their MP Evas + That. I really don't have an answer in all honesty, this has to be like my last non-Rebuild question of the franchise.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:46 pm

There's a lot of ideas here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=2095

But it's a pretty long thread.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: What was SEELE's purpose for Kaworu?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:50 pm

chaosakita wrote:So did they try to trick him into merging with Lilith? Or something? Other than to be a plot device, what's the actual reason for Kaworu's creation?

Oh, boy. You sure you want to open that can of worms?

Here's a poignant example of the pain involved.

Also, hitting the Discussion thread list for "Kaworu" (probably making a thread merge inevitable):

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=8200
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=4952
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=2027
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=581
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=53

As you can see, this place has spewed up quite a bit of thought on the matter.

Ornette wrote:But it's a pretty long thread.

If memory serves, it reaches a sort of "burn-out and degeneration" phase, then managed to persist for a while longer before I put a bullet in its head. So anybody who's never looked at the thread before can just keep that in mind and bail ship as soon as things start looking ug-ly.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:54 pm

There was another thread started on the subject... I think it was by Monk Ed but I really can't remember that offered an intriguing interpretation and alternative that solved most of the problems with all of the theories presented in the epic Fanwank thread if we were to just accept the idea that Kaworu had some piece of knowledge given to him by SEELE that we don't see in the show. I wish I could remember it in detail, or remember the thread, or who exactly started it, but it was one of the most interesting developments in the past several years of this problem.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:There was another thread started on the subject... I think it was by Monk Ed

Monk Ed doesn't have that many posts, so it was easy to find.

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=5543
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:13 pm

Excellent. I wasn't sure if it was Monk Ed who posted it or not. Thanks for the find.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Assuming Kaworu wasn't some deliberate creation of SEELE, they sent him on a suicide mission to get himself killed and take out Unit 02 if he can.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Zeruel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:17 pm

I was also curious as to what is the relationship between Kaworu and Seele it really wasn't explained at all in the series or movies and was wondering is he like adam to some guy like Rei was to yui and lilith? and why did seele send him if they knew who he was???
Why in God's name would I wanna keep writing about characters whose central preoccupation are weed and dick and fart jokes? I mean, ya gotta grow man. Don't you ever want anything more for yourself? I know this poor hapless son of a bitch does. I look into his sorry doe eyes and I just, I see a man crying out. He's crying out, "When Lord? When the fuck can your servant ditch this foul-mouthed little chucklehead to whom I am a constant victim of his folly, so much so that it prevents him from ever getting to kiss a girl! Fuck! When, Lord when? WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Just like Rei is Lilith's soul in a Lilin body, Kaworu is Adam's soul in a Lilin-shaped body (though Kaworu is different in that his body is Angelic).

SEELE found him, maybe created him, and sent him on a suicide mission.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:53 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:SEELE found him, maybe created him, and sent him on a suicide mission.

Created him by accident and then found him later, most likely. It's quite obvious that he's the result of human DNA being "donated" to Adam, although the source of said DNA has yet to be agreed upon (are there any logical possible donors besides Dr. Katsuragi and Gendou, though?) Why exactly SEELE did this in the first place is not really very clear at all, probably the result of some Dead Sea Scroll instruction that was intended to mean "ATTN: DON'T DO THIS OR YOU ARE FUCKING SCREWED" and got read "DO THIS."

Later, after resultant unpleasantness, SEELE appear to have retrieved him and the Adambryo from Antarctica and sent them to Germany, or somewhere. Where exactly Kaworu was all that time is also remarkably unclear, but we know that Adam was in Germany and it would make a degree of sense to keep them close together.

And as AuraTwilight said, SEELE sent him to NERV because they needed him good and dead. SEELE's plan for Third Impact didn't involve Adam, remember. That's why they needed Evas in the first place. As far as they were concerned, Adam was just something to get well out of the way before they made their move.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Azathoth wrote:(are there any logical possible donors besides Dr. Katsuragi and Gendou, though?)

Gendo isn't even a logical possibility, but see the threads about that topic for the reason why not.

If Kaworu's creation wasn't deliberate on the part of Seele, I presume they took advantage of the situation to put Adam's soul into a more limited vessel with whom they could directly interact and manipulate for potential future use. (Aside from their cryptic words to Kaworu in the anime itself, NGE2 may provide further substantiation -- but more on that when I translate the 3I scenario in question. Kaworu seems to help Seele become a god at the expense of everyone else.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Gendo isn't even a logical possibility, but see the threads about that topic for the reason why not.

LIES

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Gendo doesn't look at all like Kaworu. There was another much better reason why too but I don't remember it so ...
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:18 pm

Azathoth wrote:And as AuraTwilight said, SEELE sent him to NERV because they needed him good and dead. SEELE's plan for Third Impact didn't involve Adam, remember. That's why they needed Evas in the first place. As far as they were concerned, Adam was just something to get well out of the way before they made their move.

Is Adam and Lilith being able to form a being capable of starting instrumentality just coincidence?

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:45 pm

I was reading the other thread, when I noticed two things.

First, the Gaghiel-smelling-out-Adam thing. I disagree with this for two reasons. One, Kaworu isn't a pure Angel to begin with; he clearly has actual human DNA in him like Rei does. Second, Gaghiel came looking for his daddy, but there was a giant clone of it (Eva-02) sitting on the same ship. The fish might have gotten the two confused.

Second, Kaworu knows full well what would happen if he merged with Lillith instead of Adam. I think he was trying to delay Instrumentality by killing himself....except Gendo ripped his soul out and stuck it in the embryo after Shinji crushed him...
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:48 pm

CyberXIII wrote:Second, Kaworu knows full well what would happen if he merged with Lillith instead of Adam. I think he was trying to delay Instrumentality by killing himself....except Gendo ripped his soul out and stuck it in the embryo after Shinji crushed him...

Did SEELE want instrumentality on those terms then?

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Is Adam and Lilith being able to form a being capable of starting instrumentality just coincidence?

No. Infact, their ability to do that is precisely why they weren't supposed to land on the same planet.

First, the Gaghiel-smelling-out-Adam thing. I disagree with this for two reasons. One, Kaworu isn't a pure Angel to begin with; he clearly has actual human DNA in him like Rei does. Second, Gaghiel came looking for his daddy, but there was a giant clone of it (Eva-02) sitting on the same ship. The fish might have gotten the two confused.

Second, Kaworu knows full well what would happen if he merged with Lillith instead of Adam. I think he was trying to delay Instrumentality by killing himself....except Gendo ripped his soul out and stuck it in the embryo after Shinji crushed him...

So how does Gaghiel smelling Eva-02 at all contradict with Gaghiel smelling out Adam?

Kaworu merging with Lilith wouldn't of caused Instrumentality.

Gendo doesn't look at all like Kaworu. There was another much better reason why too but I don't remember it so ...

I'm willing to let physical resemblence go due to Bishonen rules, but Gendo being the donor creates and perfects so much thematic, symbolic, and narrativistic sense and symmetry.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 am

AuraTwilight wrote:I'm willing to let physical resemblence go due to Bishonen rules, but Gendo being the donor creates and perfects so much thematic, symbolic, and narrativistic sense and symmetry.

:rei_meh:
Tell it to this thread. Oh, wait...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:20 am

AuraTwilight wrote:
So how does Gaghiel smelling Eva-02 at all contradict with Gaghiel smelling out Adam?

Kaworu merging with Lilith wouldn't of caused Instrumentality.

1) I'm saying that Gaghiel might have sensed Eva-02, not Adam, since they're so similar.
2) Yes it would. That's why Kaworu wanted Shinji to kill him.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”