The Feature Films Neon Genesis Evangelion

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Jeffery Crayon
Embryo

The Feature Films Neon Genesis Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Jeffery Crayon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 am

Hello all,

Real quickly about me, I'm usually over at fanedit.org. I don't know if any of you are familiar with it, I wasn't until I was drawn into the world of fanediting movies.

I've been able to make some good films, Spider-Man 3.1 (a complete restructuring of the film, sadly was lost on the way to NY for the audio editing to be completed) and Star Trek V edit, thats about a month from completion.

My goal is to hone my skills to make a total overhaul of Batman Forever, removing all the music and re-doing the film with Elfman's music, and over 500 edits that I've planned out.

However, before I get there, I'd like a stepping stone between STV/Spidey 3.1 and Forever...that stepping stone is EVA.

I have been considering doing a fanedit of the series, merging all the episodes into three films, each around two hours or so in length. EoE would still be the stand alone finale of the movies, at this point. My questions to this community would be a) is there an interest in this being done (because otherwise I might not pursue this, although I might do it just for myself) and b) may I throw potential edits/changes off you guys while I'm working on this process.

I'm not looking to reimagine EVA, I want to stay true to the story in the anime as best I can, although I am planning on re-arranging some scenes and adding/removing music in certain areas, which is why, if I pursue this project, I'd want to have the communities input, before some cry BLASHPEMY!!!! (although they might anyways! hahaha!)

At any rate, thanks for reading this, and I'm looking forward to whatever thoughts you guys have on this subject
Last edited by Jeffery Crayon on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Its corporate espionage!! You've come to steal our good ideas! You've been foiled, we have none." Billy Quizboy

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:22 am

Redo all the music with Queen, The Beatles, The Strokes, and The Rolling Stones, and I approve. :thumbsup:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:04 am

T'would be fun to watch.

WellManicuredMan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby WellManicuredMan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:16 am

Sachi wrote:Redo all the music with Queen, The Beatles, The Strokes, and The Rolling Stones, and I approve. :thumbsup:

I recommend using Philip Glass music. Especially stuff from Koyaanisqatsi for EoE. Just imagine how awesome it would be to see Third Impact happen, with "Pruit Igoe" acting as BGM for the scene!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: The Feature Films Neon Genesis Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:29 am

Jeffery Crayon wrote:I have been considering doing a fanedit of the series, merging all the episodes into three films, each around two hours or so in length.

You're definitely not the first, I first considered doing this back in 2002, before I had even launched Eva Monkey. Naturally, it was just an idea.

Edit out the action arc. There's a lot of unnecessary fluff in there.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Sachi wrote:Redo all the music with Queen, The Beatles, The Strokes, and The Rolling Stones, and I approve. :thumbsup:

Eva - Sagisu = shit

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Axell wrote:Eva - Sagisu = shit

I tend to disagree. But then again, I didn't really like any of the music in the series. The movie has an awesome score though.

Jeffery Crayon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jeffery Crayon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:57 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:You're definitely not the first, I first considered doing this back in 2002, before I had even launched Eva Monkey. Naturally, it was just an idea.

Edit out the action arc. There's a lot of unnecessary fluff in there.

At the risk of sounding dumb, to which action arc are you speaking?

Thanks for the interest! Looks like this project is going to move forward. :)
"Its corporate espionage!! You've come to steal our good ideas! You've been foiled, we have none." Billy Quizboy

Zephros
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zephros » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:59 pm

I say go for it, just to eliminate the long, unnecassary pauses in some of the scenes. Change the music also, just for something different. I'd also suggest using some of the footage from the director's cuts, since a lot of fans have not seen them, myself included, it would had some newer feel to it. The same feeling the newer music would have for it. Beatles? Some of their later stuff would I think fit with the inner-thought scenes. The action scenes with some guitar riffs thrown in would be more towards cool, than dramatic.

So, yeah, I say go for it.
--Insert Witty Statement.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Jeffery Crayon wrote:At the risk of sounding dumb, to which action arc are you speaking?

Episodes 8-13. With the music, while I wouldn't go so far to say as Eva - Sagisu = Shit, I really wouldn't recommend adding anything that's a major part of pop culture, or even ANYTHING with lyrics.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm just exaggerating, the music is a third of the series to me, rebuild's score as well. Especially since its something I can enjoy on a daily basis without making myself go crazy.

Zephros
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zephros » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Legendary wrote:I really wouldn't recommend adding anything that's a major part of pop culture, or even ANYTHING with lyrics.

See, I have to disagree. How many of us have seen AMV's with pop culture and really gotten into them? As to the lyrics I can see that getting in the way, but I think a lot of the music scores, minus lyrics, would fit rather well. Maybe not the latest Taylor Swift, but the opening guitar riff from Ozzie Osbourne, Crazy Train is amazing. In the End, with Linkin Park is good music also. A lot of their stuff is musically great. Throw in the beatles, minus lyrics, and I really don't see why it couldn't be made to work. Music is about tone and emotion, and if the music matches the tone of the part, it could work. Unless there is some taboo of pop culture =/= anime I don't know of? Still great idea.

And yes, I'm sure most here would give you their opinions on your edits and changes, before final product, if you liked. Would you load the ones you want critiqued to youtube, or would you just say how you would do it in the forums, using text?

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 pm

dude...I was in the process of merging every episode into three movies...except they were all going to be like four hours long (since the first and at the moment only installment is around Four Hours long)
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:10 am

Please use some Aphex Twin, preferably Select Ambient Works Volume 2

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:36 am

Zephros wrote:Music is about tone and emotion, and if the music matches the tone of the part, it could work. Unless there is some taboo of pop culture =/= anime I don't know of? Still great idea.

There's no taboo, I'm just making my recommendation. AMV's are a different matter, because they advertise the song and you have full warning that you're about to hear "We are the Champions" played over Evangelion. If you think that song is overplayed, or can't listen to it without laughing due to a personal context you have, that moment is ruined for the viewer. The original score, plus more obscure, instrumental (for less risk of narm) is a lot safer, and more enjoyable for EVERYONE.

Jeffery Crayon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jeffery Crayon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:02 am

lol at the "We Are the Champions" comment. I had been humorously thinking about the effect of putting that in some insanely innapropriate point in the film, like when Unit 1 is controlled by the dummy plug.

I am SOOOO joking about doing that though!

Yes to the directors cut footage, that is a must for this and will be included.

I do appreciate the music suggestions, I am a pretty avid music lover myself, and agree that music can make or break a scene. Rest assured, any additions will be done in good taste.

At the moment, the first movies arc is laid out in outline form. I really wanted avoid ending the film with Ramiel, ala Rebuild, but there is just not another satisfying climax for a finale (although there will be several scenes after the angel is defeated), so thats where it will end.

The second film with begin with Asuka's episode, although I will be editing sequences from the Jet Alone episode into some of the first and second movie (The Jet Alone project, and all scenes referencing it though, are deleted), and this film will probably end with Toji's death at the hands of Unit 1.

The last film will obviously pick up right after that, and move to the end of the series. As I stated earlier, I have no plans to touch EoE, it will still be the stand alone finale.

As far as notes, Sandalphon will not be in the film, as far as the plan is now, he is the only Angel that will be deleted, although I'm sure the second movie will be running a little long, so one or two others might fall by the wayside, or there could be a potential shift to a four film arc, depending on how things are shaking out.

I guess in movie terms, this thing is in pre-production right now, just fleshing out ideas. The Star Trek V edit will be completed before I begin the heavy lifting on this, and thats probably a few weeks out.

And yes, I will be posting scenes I'd like feedback on, or just want to show off, on youtube. If you want to check out some rough (and I emphasize rough) samples of Star Trek V, check out http://www.youtube.com/user/JCrayonProductions?feature=mhw4

There's also a James Kirk Gendowned clip I made there as well. One of my favorites.

Thank you for the enthusiasm, its really motivated me to dive into this project as soon as possible! Keep it coming!

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:54 am

While of course this is your project and it's up to your own choices and discretion, it might be wise to remove some more of the Angels. The character drama is a hugely important part of Eva, and it's hard to compress down into movie format without losing a lot.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:19 am

I'd cut Matarael, and really most of Episode 11, or excise Sahaquiel and move the Misato stuff to other spots. You really only need ONE Angel to show the group functioning as a team, the plot wouldn't be hurt too much if it lost the other.

Zephros
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zephros » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:24 am

I saw what you did with the Gendowned clip and liked it. It was simple, though, so I can't base too much on it. The concept of ST-V was interesting and gives me a little excitement to see what you can do with the movie. And also what you could do with Evangelion.

...enjoyable for EVERYONE.

Were the all-caps really necessary Legendary? hehe. We both have valid views so I'll leave the argument before it turns into an E-Peen war. Don't want to clutter the thread here with it.

Disagreements about music aside, I'm looking forward to what you'll use. Cheers and good luck to you.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:36 am

I guess you could toss in some Lustmord, Fear Factory, Joy Division and Nine Inch Nails to amp things up a little
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Return to “Fan Works”