The Tetris Effect

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

blinxwang
Embryo

The Tetris Effect

•      
  •      

Postby blinxwang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:42 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_Effect

Just found out about it today; it's pretty cool stuff. I thought I was the only one who had it for a looong time :grin:

Anyways, who has this peculiar mental condition with NGE?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:56 pm

I've had something similar with both Evangelion and with Spriggs (the Halo 3 machinima series me and my friends made). It was mostly an intense preoccupation.

I've actually had the real Tetris effect. Back when I was working at the Library of Congress in DC, I was commuting by train for 45 minutes each way, so I had a lot of free time, and I played Tetris every day. I noticed I was having the Tetris effect when I looked at a book shelf, and I would start imagining where I would place the pieces to fill in the gaps. Kinda weird.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 pm

The first "Tetris effect" i recall having was back in 2004 when I first played the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game. I was so confused and somewhat scared, because I couldn't stop thinking about everyone's stats and how much distance they could move in a single turn. Turn-based reality is scary as fuck.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Oh, man, do you realize what Tetris does to a 7-year old?

Fortunately, though, my life experiences with tetris have showed me how to organize things using a minimal amount of space, such as groceries at a checkout lane.

Last case of the Tetris effect I can remember having came recently after playing L4D2 versus, and after I got done playing, I was lurking /a/, and someone posted a picture of a girl with lighting effects around the crown of her head. I immediately recognized the shape as a downed survivor, and pressed the 'w' key to move closer before I realized what I was doing.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:36 pm

I had been playing Half-Life 2 a lot, and one day I was walking down the street, saw something of interest and attempted to zoom in on the object.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:42 pm

I can't imagine what you would have done if you had a crowbar.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

chann
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chann » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 pm

After playing long sessions of TF2, I get backstab paranoia when I'm out in public and have to check over my shoulder a lot.

blinxwang
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby blinxwang » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:39 pm

On the current topic of Valve games,

I remember getting TE when I first played Portal. Damn, that game was Well Made.

Anyway, after finishing portal and the bonus mappack over the weekend, I arrived to school holding my ridiculously large Bio textbook we were supposed to lug around all day. After being held up for some stupid reason I can't remember, I heard the warning bell ring and started to panic since I was on the other side of the school from my classroom. Subconsiously, I squeezed my textbook very hard at a wall and proceeded to run straight into it.

Needless to say, I arrived to class late with an embarassingly large bruise on my forehead.

Stygian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stygian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I found a free DOS version of Tetris called "Super Acid Block Attack" and made the mistake of trying to beat the high score. It is awful how much sleep one can lose after playing this game.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:39 am

Tetris Effect is a fairly common phenomenon with me, though it most often manifests during hypnagogic and/or dream states. E.g.: Spend too much time on the forums one day, and, blam-o, the act of reading and responding preoccupies me while I try to get some zzz's.

A waking instance of T.E. that I remember especially well is from during a visit to the beach, long time ago. I spent hours riding in waves on a foam board, usually getting wiped out in the process. For the rest of the day, my inner ear continued to insist that I'd never left the water. Very weird.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 am

Katamari does it to me. I'll start looking at things in terms of how big I need to be in order to roll them up. Also, Touhou. Especially Touhou. If you aren't seeing barrages of bullets in your eyes the next day you're doing it wrong.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am

this effect has happened to me, except it is due to Splinter Cell

about every room I enter even now despite not having played any of the games in two years, I spot every light bulb, video camera, air vent, actual weapon (gun, knife, etc.), possible improvised weapon and possible person packing heat in about three seconds
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Cypher
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cypher » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:53 am

After playing World of Warcraft for many hours and then going into the city with some friends without sleep; I attempted to buff my friends before getting on the train and while in the city i kept thinking i was about to get ganked by rogues.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:44 am

Guitar Hero is the worst for me. I remember after once playing it all day I closed my eyes and all I could see was a stream of brightly coloured notes.

Also after a long GH session I noticed that when I look at the TV it seems to levitate upwards, which I can only assume comes from my eyes adapting to reading the notes scrolling downwards, and then doing this automatically even after the games' over.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm

After playing Grand Theft Auto, I instinctively imagine a reticle over people's faces and try to "shoot". Happens especially with cops. /not serious

I do admit though, that when I think about things like hunting or war where you HAVE to shoot at a living thing I always mentally shoot at the head.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 pm

I think I got something like this with Rifts, its been years since I've even played rifts but I still have a tendency to try to figure out how many megadamage or SDC hitpoints random objects I come across might have.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

AVman9
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: The Tetris Effect

•      
  •      

Postby AVman9 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:35 pm

blinxwang wrote:Anyways, who has this peculiar mental condition with NGE?
That happened to me in the worst way. it was why I joined this forum in the first place. I needed somewhere to vent my thoughts about the series so I could get on with my so-called life. :shakehead:
Take a wild guess at what the AV means....
Adult Video? -The Eva Monkey

You raise the blade...
You make the change...
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane...

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Captain_Morgan wrote:I had been playing Half-Life 2 a lot, and one day I was walking down the street, saw something of interest and attempted to zoom in on the object.

I started playing the Orange Box not long back, and I have to say, I lol'd.

For me... Street Fighter. Seriously. I will realize I just lost 20 minutes of a meeting or a boring movie because I was pretty much playing a bunch of rounds in my head.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:46 pm

This happened with me a ero-games. Every time I see a new girl who is totally cute and shy, I figure out the fastest way to get her into the sack.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:54 pm

I ctrl-s sometimes on my computer keyboard, if I'm writing something on a notepad on my desk, out by hand. I'm so used to computering shit up now.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”