Key of Nebuchadnezzer Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 am

View Original PostTruthfulLie wrote:Sorry for bumping an old thread but was anything discovered of the strange letters in the scan? or any helpful information of the description of the key. It(not the ones depicting specimen name, but ones right to them) looks similar to the ones we've seen in the chamber of Lilith back in 1.11.

I hope you don't get in trouble for necro-ing, but it's interesting to read how completely far off base many of the guesses that were made here to the reality of what Q turned out to be. Especially as pretty much NOTHING from the preview at the end of 2.22 was utilized in Q.

Nebby's key looks to be a completely forgotten artifact at this point, unless it ass-pulls an amazing case of Checkhov's Gun out of itself in Final.
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 am

View Original PostJurrasic wrote:Nebby's key looks to be a completely forgotten artifact at this point, unless it ass-pulls an amazing case of Checkhov's Gun out of itself in Final.

Half of Gendo's scene in 3.0 has him with the case containing the key : when he's talking with Fuyutsuki in the ruins of his office, when he's talking to Lilith's severed head and finally when he and Fuyu are in the mysterious room looking like the Wunder Anchoring Plug.
So the key isn't forgotten and will probably have an important role in Final.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed May 29, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed May 29, 2013 7:34 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Half of Gendo's scene in 3.0 has him with the case containing the key : when he's talking with Fuyutsuki in the ruins of his office, when he's talking to Lilith's severed head and finally when he and Fuyu are in the mysterious room looking like the Wunder Anchoring Plug.
So the key isn't forgotten and will probably have an important in Final.

Maybe I should just re-watch Q a few times in a row so I don't keep missing shit like I apparently do. :facepalm:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:41 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Half of Gendo's scene in 3.0 has him with the case containing the key : when he's talking with Fuyutsuki in the ruins of his office, when he's talking to Lilith's severed head and finally when he and Fuyu are in the mysterious room looking like the Wunder Anchoring Plug.
So the key isn't forgotten and will probably have an important in Final.

We only see the case, though, we don't know if anything's in it. To be fair, though, it wouldn't make sense for Gendo to drag the empty case with him everywhere so the Key is probably still inside, untouched.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rahxephon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rahxephon » Fri May 31, 2013 5:18 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Ejem...
The thingamabob Kaji delivers it's a serum bag... Whith some orange liquid in it (unsure if it's LCL)...
I was suspicious too, so I took a snapshot and after some lighting and color modifications to see it better, I reached that conclusion... AND if I'm not mistaken, when Gendo and Fuyutsuki are in the spaceship, a serum bag is seen empty floating around, whith some orange coloured liquid remnants in it...
Could it be the same?

No.. watching the blu ray it is CLEARLY a mini nervous system looking thing in shape of a human body, connected to some needle/syringe thing, I can see it just about perfectly. But that little nervous system and needle seem to be suspended in LCL.
Fav animes -
1. Rahxephon 2. Evangelion 3. Gurren Lagan 4. Saint Seiya / Saint Seiya Omega 5. Samurai Champloo 6. Un Go 7. Death Note 8. Eureka 7 / Ao 9. Fate Zero 10. Rurouni Kenshin 11. K Project 12. Code Geass 13. Gun x Sword

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original PostRahxephon wrote:But that little nervous system and needle seem to be suspended in LCL.

If we can at least tie this to the original series, the stuff encasing the Key of Nebuchadnezzar is probably some form of Bakelite. LCL is never shown in solid form, and the Key doesn't look like it's floating in the stuff.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:26 pm

References don't have to be direct references. The name of the key could be a reference to another work which in turn references the Bible.

In this case it's a reference to a sci-fi movie that heavily references anime which also reveals in a shocking twist that the events of the films represent a repetition of the same events over and over again, the events of those films being the seventh and final iteration.

The Nebuchadnezzar is captained by Morpheus, named for the Greek god of dreams.

Shinji is still trapped in the dream (as are we, the audience) as signified by the deliberate repetition of the disappearing watch in 1.0

I've noticed a few visual quotes from the Matrix in some of the Q screenshots I've seen. When I get a chance to see the whole thing I'm sure I'll be able to find and unpack some more.

The shape of the Key itself is probably a visual reference to the Matrix, in that it's a needle inserted into a human nervous system.

It's not like it's out of character for Eva to reference western media- some of the character designs come from a British sci-fi show and there are references to Harlan Ellison and Cordwainer Smith, among others.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:07 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:
Shinji is still trapped in the dream (as are we, the audience) as signified by the deliberate repetition of the disappearing watch in 1.0.

Wait what?! Disappearing watch?

There does some to be a theme of machines dominating humans in Rebuild, such as the Dummy Plug system's new look and the backwards phrase it speaks when it deploys (which is yet another sci-fi reference).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:57 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Wait what?! Disappearing watch?

In both NGE and Rebuild, Shinji starts off wearing a wristwatch which disappears once Sachiel attacks. It's been a bullet point in many theories.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:12 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Shinji is still trapped in the dream (as are we, the audience) as signified by the deliberate repetition of the disappearing watch in 1.0

Wait what?Anyone can fill me in?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 am

I'm surprised this thread was bumped for Q but this post wasn't brought up again. This could be a lot more relevant now given Lilith's pose in Q being similar to the Nebuchadnezzar painting.

View Original PostKodaemon wrote:I'm considering a possible connection to William Blake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebuchadnezzar_(Blake)

While the similarity between Nebuchadnezzar's madness and Beast Mode was mentioned before, there's more interesting stuff here:

The image of Nebuchadnezzar is connected in Blake with the apocalypse in which the three people that the biblical Nebuchadnezzar burned to death were united with the Son of God,[18] and this image is also connected to Blake's belief in four states of existence in which those burned are able to transcend into the final stage of human existence.

"Transcending to the final stage of human existence" sounds a lot like Instrumentality, does it not?

Also, a brief look at [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Blake's_mythology[/url] gives us this:

Which is another possible source for the design of the key, and would also link it to Adam.

Stumbled upon the painting being mentioned in the moon land Eva discussions while searching for wonfest stuff.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:45 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:In both NGE and Rebuild, Shinji starts off wearing a wristwatch which disappears once Sachiel attacks. It's been a bullet point in many theories.

Holy shit, I never even realized this.

This is the most innocuous, yet strangely fascinating thing I've heard in quite some time.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Rocksbury
Embryo

Kaji's Briefcase

•      
  •      

Postby Rocksbury » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 pm

So I just ran a marathon of the original Evangelion followed by End of Eva.
Now going over the Rebuild series its almost blatantly obvious that this is a continuation of the series not just a reconstruction of the classic story.

When the briefcase Kaji transports to NERV is opened you have a human figure and a machine.
I saw that and was stumped, that spurred on my urge to rewatch the series after months of confusion.

One of the fantastic things about the series is that scenes directly influence future scenes so that the story is in motion while you can also pair symbolism and past mentions with some investigation.
I saw Rei in the Tank filled with LCL and the Giant Machine above her and wondered.

Are Rei and the object in the briefcase connected. Even further is it safe to safe she is the result of experiments using that object otherwise known as the Key. The Key to unlock Unit-01 and start the chain of events that will lead to the absolute end of Evangelion.

Regardless with Anno in charge 4.0 will come out and be an absolute mind bender.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 pm

[s]THIS Seems like the thread you're looking for.[/s] [I merged Rocksbury's post into this topic. - Monk]

Please review forum guidelines. We frown on creating new threads when older threads on the same topic exist.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Bumping an older post from this thread, but I think it may help shed new light on the subject now that Q is out and everything.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Kaji calls the Key a "backup". Of what, they don't say, but that might imply that Seele doesn't require the Key for whatever they're doing (perhaps similarly to how they didn't require the Adam embryo in NGE).

Gendo claims the Key can open the doors to Human Instrumentality and has been holding it close to his person since acquiring it, yet Kaji claims that it had been previously kept as a backup. A backup, or in other words a Plan B for Seele.

When Kaji smuggled the key out of Bethany Base, he used Mari's fight with the 3rd Angel as a distraction. Was this done to make Seele believe the Key had been destroyed during the fight, or was the fight simply an exploited opportunity to move the Key while Seele wasn't looking? If it had been presumed destroyed, I feel it would be easier for Gendo to keep quiet about having it for all that time during the skip.

We know that Seele's goal was also the purification of all souls via Instrumentality, and they believed they had achieved that goal when their souls were released by Gendo and Fuyu during Fourth Impact. However, the Impact was stopped at the last minute and Seele's plans never got to be fully realized (and now they're dead, hehe).

So with Seele out of the picture, Gendo now gets to pursue out his version of Human Instrumentality using the Key of Nebuchadnezzar. How is it important though? Perhaps it'll be a suitable replacement now that there are no more Angels? Or maybe now that Lilith's body is gone it'll serve as that end of the deal? Or maybe the Key is simply the ignition to whatever cool ride Gendo and Fuyu are in at the end of the film.

Either way, I think it was important for Gendo to make sure that Seele exhausted their resources for Instrumentality during Fourth Impact in order to betray them once more at the last minute, and since he has the Key in his possession (Seele's old backup) he can now start Instrumentality under his terms.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 am

I remember some translations where Kaji calls the Key "the missing number". So maybe the Key is one of the four ADAMs that got less lucky than his three other pals ans was reduced to sorry cluster of fibers we saw in 2.0.

Okay, now theory time : Gendo states at the end of 3.0 that awakening EVA-13 was part of their plan, and since he also needed an awakened Evangelion before the time skip (Unit 01) that means that he still needs one for his version of Instrumentality.
Problem : he doesn't have any Impact Trigger at his disposal, Kaworu is dead (and never and his side to begin with) and after what happened in 3.0, it's more than probable that this time WILLE will really kill Shinji if one of Gendo's minion even got near him. Besides it's also possible that Shinji will prefer to commit suicide than be again a part of Gendo's plans.

So how does he work around the problem? By becoming an Impact Trigger himself of course! And that's what the Key will be used for : sketches of the Key in the 1.0 CRC reveal that the "machine" at the top of the Key is a syringe plunger, so like he implanted the ADAM embryo in his hand in NGE, Gendo will absorb the ADAM by injecting it in his flesh, and use his acquired power to directly control EVA-13 and start Instrumentality on his terms.

Now the remaining question is what is his army of MP-Evas for? The most logical explanation is that it's to make sure that WILLE won't interfere, but thousands of them just for one flying battleship and two Evas seems really overkill! And after the damages the Wunder and its Evas took in 3.0, Gendo could start his Instrumentality as soon as he retrieve the fallen EVA-13, it would take one day top with his Nemesis Series, so why wait? Is there still a missing element to complete his ritual? Does his body needs time to fully absorb ADAM? Does Gendo needs the LoC for his version of Instrumentality and he needs to find it/morph the LoL back into a LoC and it takes time? (I doubt that we won't hear more of this spear)

The preview said that Shinji will end somewhere where he'll find hope, and seeing how stranded in the middle of a dead place the pilots trio are, it'll like take them days to reach somewhere to be picked up, it'll also probably take some time for Shinji to get out of his funk and allow himself to feel hope again after how it was utterly crushed in 3.0, so unless the preview was complete BS, FINAL won't take EoE's route of happening the very day after Kaworu's death. So what does Gendo needs time for?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

So Gendo is going to be piloting an Eva to trigger final impact in 4.0? An epic final Eva battle between him and Shinji would be so badass!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:41 am

As long as Gendo doesn't wear a plugsuit, that should be okay! :cringe:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:As long as Gendo doesn't wear a plugsuit, that should be okay! :cringe:

Midway through the battle, he pops up on Shinji's view-thingy.

"Hello, Shinji. It's like I'm wearing nothing at all."
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:05 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Midway through the battle, he pops up on Shinji's view-thingy.

"Hello, Shinji. It's like I'm wearing nothing at all."

Stupid sexy Gendo!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”