Hideaki Anno WANTED To Direct a Nausicaa 2

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Hideaki Anno WANTED To Direct a Nausicaa 2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

This is a fascinating interview! And even though I cannot speak Japanese this is basically some of the key points summed up:

According to Suzuki, because Anno hoped to make Nausicaa 2, Suzuki often suggested to Miyazaki that they make Nausicaa as a three part film, with Anno directing part 2 and Miyazaki directing part 3. But Miyazaki rejected this idea. Anno says he wants to make a film of Vol. 7 of the Nausicaa manga [note: this is the final volume of the manga, completed several years after the Nausicaa movie itself which covers approximately only volumes 1 and 2].

According to Anno, there was a cool fight scene of an Ohmu and the God Warrior in a cut scene of the story boards. Anno says, "I wanted to watch it. But if those story boards were used, I could not draw it."

Anno still has regrets about the scene of the revival of the God Warrior. He wanted to use seven pieces of animation cels between key flame animations. But Miyazaki did not allow it because there was no time. So, five pieces animation cel were used. And Miyazaki did not allow the use of three colors for a shade. He did not allow two colors either at first, but accepted it. Anno says "There was a memo "If you use three colors, I will kill you" from Miya-san."

Suzuki says, "Your salary (of God Warrior scene) was low, wasn't it?" Anno answers "No, No. I got much. I was surprised because salary then was low. The salary of TV series Macross, I did it as a part-time job when I was a student; it was 1,800 yen per one cut."

Anno says, "I kept to my house after the TV series of Eva. I lost the point of living. That time, Miya-san called me and say "Anyway, take a rest."

:

Thanks to GhibliWiki and if you want to hear the interview here it is:

http://podcasts.tfm.co.jp/podcasts/tokyo/rg/suzuki_vol119.mp3
http://podcasts.tfm.co.jp/podcasts/tokyo/rg/suzuki_vol120.mp3

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:58 pm

LOL. For a moment there i was under the impression that Studio Ghibli staff wanted to contact Anno about making a Nausicaa sequel in the near future. Oh...but this was what Anno had "wanted" to do back when he was an underling.....

Interesting read anyways. LOL. Wonder why Miyazaki was so unsold about using more than 2 colours for the God solider? Was it just because of the lack of time? Production costs? Or something else?

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: Hideaki Anno WANTED To Direct a Nausicaa 2

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Anno wrote:I kept to my house after the TV series of Eva. I lost the point of living.
It is now apparent why it's taking so long to finish Rebuild.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Hideaki Anno WANTED To Direct a Nausicaa 2

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 am

Great find, thanks for sharing!

I wonder whether Anno still has a desire to tackle a Nausicaa-like project: maybe the next entry in Khara's ouvre, after Rebuild is done, will be a fantasy-esque epic (i doubt Miyazaki will let his protege touch the original Nauiscaa story) ?

Electric Sachiel wrote: Wonder why Miyazaki was so unsold about using more than 2 colours for the God solider?

Something tells me that was a stylistic choice. Miyazaki probably thought three is just too much color.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:The salary of TV series Macross, I did it as a part-time job when I was a student; it was 1,800 yen per one cut."

Wow. That's incredibly lousy, even for a part-time job.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

So would this be the same interview/conversation that's included on the upcoming Nausicaa BD?

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100412_360753.html

from bablefish:
さらに、2009年12月に収録されたジブリの鈴木敏夫プロデューサーと庵野秀明氏の対話「ナウシカとエヴァンゲリオン!巨神兵の行方は?」も収めている。

In addition, Hideaki Anno's dialogue with producer Toshio Suzuki of Studio Ghibli was recorded in December 2009 "Nausicaa and Evangelion! Space Runaway soldier is missing?" Are also stored.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 am

That would be amazing. BRING ON NAUSICAA 2!

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 pm

This reminds me of something -- at Otakon 2009, ex-Suzumiya Haruhi director Yamamoto Yutaka said that he was competing with Hideaki Anno to direct a remake of Nausicaa based on the original manga!

(This was the same panel where he infamously apologized for Endless Eight, which he was not involved with.)

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Mon May 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Anno is the only person besides Miyazaki who could do justice to Nausicaa. She's a perfect character, an example of a strong woman whose strength doesn't come from incorporating masculine tendencies, but instead she's a pacifist heroine who uses empathy and intelligence, and because she is able to transcend the violence and hatred of both sides she eventually manages to win. She's a fantastic complex character and probably the single most well imagined and presented character in anime.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:56 pm

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:Anno is the only person besides Miyazaki who could do justice to Nausicaa. She's a perfect character, an example of a strong woman whose strength doesn't come from incorporating masculine tendencies, but instead she's a pacifist heroine who uses empathy and intelligence, and because she is able to transcend the violence and hatred of both sides she eventually manages to win. She's a fantastic complex character and probably the single most well imagined and presented character in anime.

Indeed.
One of his strongest by far.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:46 pm

Hrm, nausicaa.net seems to be down *and* this is too recent for the Internet Archive to've picked it up.

At least, the URL of interest is apparently dead:
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#Hideaki_Anno_Appears_on_Ghibli_Asemamire

ಠ_ಠ

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:29 pm

huh, so apparently Anno has left Khara building during last year to the outside world.

Now that's a surprise

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:42 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:huh, so apparently Anno has left Khara building during last year to the outside world.

Now that's a surprise

Can somebody confirm that statement? News to me. Never heard other sources say that before.... And here we are during the heat of productiion for Eva 3.0 and Anno just leaves? Can't be....

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:10 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:Can somebody confirm that statement? News to me. Never heard other sources say that before.... And here we are during the heat of productiion for Eva 3.0 and Anno just leaves? Can't be....

Hectic? For all we know Anno might be bathing in sun on Okinawa or something like that. There has been no news about 3.0 at all during these years.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:12 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Hectic? For all we know Anno might be bathing in sun on Okinawa or something like that. There has been no news about 3.0 at all during these years.

B-But....didnt we get those job ads posted on the Khara website for animators to join the studio about 9 months ago? Surely that meant something. And honestly, on what basis are you assuming that Anno has left Khara to do other work elsewhere?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:B-But....didnt we get those job ads posted on the Khara website for animators to join the studio about 9 months ago? Surely that meant something. And honestly, on what basis are you assuming that Anno has left Khara to do other work elsewhere?

False alarm IIRC

and I was just joking around with the whole Okinawa thing. My first post was joke based on assumption that Anno has been so wrapped up in whole Rebuild deal he hasn't seen sunlight in years due to never leaving dark corners of Khara building.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri May 11, 2012 4:23 am

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/entertainment/2011378/full/

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/05/09-1/hideaki-anno-and-studio-ghibli-collaborate-on-live-action-short-and-exhibit

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-05-10/nausicaa-giant-god-warriors-inspire-figma-figure

So, Anno is making a short the live-action movie.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Any sense of what it's about?

EDIT:
Crunchyroll wrote:Now, a new project is combining their shared Nausicaä history, passion for tokusatsu (special effects) media, and concern with nuclear energy.

Uh... hmmmmmmmmm...
Last edited by gatotsu911 on Fri May 11, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri May 11, 2012 1:37 pm

"God Warrior Attacks Tokyo"

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Anno isn't even directing it himself, he's just being his normal toku loving otaku bastard self who doesn't even have the focus needed to finish 3.0 without constant diversions :hahaha:

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:22 am

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”