Beast Mode, God Mode, Limiters, Plug Depth

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

Beast Mode, God Mode, Limiters, Plug Depth

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Kay so Mari sorta summoned ZA BEASTO! In 2.0...
It sorta hit me as I was watching 1.01 today (again) that Unit 01 has those holes in it's chest.....Sorta the same diameter as those plugs that cam out of Unit 02..Could it be that Unit 01 has limiters? And Yes Im perfectly aware of how deranged it would look if she had six cylinders sticking out of her chest...
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Helius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Helius » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Well the entire armour of an EVA is really a giant restrain to contain the true nature of an Evangelion. So theoretically every EVA is capable of having a "Beast Mode".

Hell, Unit 01 going beserk is already "za beasto" in and of itself.
"Wars Begin Where You Will... But They Do Not End Where You Please."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Except in "Beast Mode" the pilot is in control instead of the Eva going wild like when it's in berserk mode.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:03 pm

I highly doubt it. Like you said its going to look immensely illogical to have four huge limitors jutting out of Unit 01's chest if such a mode existed for the Eva. I strictly think that the chest plate and those holes are just simply restraints and nothing more.

Dont forget that there was no evidence of "screw holes" or anything like that on Unit 02 prior to it going into Beast mode. Your inkling....meh. Just forget about it. I highly doubt Unit 01 has limiters....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:35 pm

There's mention of "limiter(s)" with regard to Eva-01. Note that in all cases we're dealing with リミッター (rimita-), which doesn't specify number.

Dummy plug incident:

Tech: Control limiters (制御リミッター) have been rescinded.

Near-3I incident:

Maya:
No, the shape control limiter (形状制御のリミッター) is going out. Unable to analyze!

I would have pluralized it to "limiters" here for the sake of consistency. (This part of the translation actually was my work, but I did it before I knew those things inside Eva-02 had a name.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:06 pm

^ So thanks to that juicy bit of info from Reichu, i'm guessing now that all Evas have limiters in them? Dormant until activation at the pilot's request? And also it would be interesting to see how the limiters affect the Eva's longevity over the longrun.

I would speculate that the limiters are not used too often since they may actually shorten an Eva's lifespan (long-term usefulness) of the bio-mech. I wonder for example how the hell they'll repair Unit 02 for a possible re-launch during the events of Evangelion 3.0 Q.

I mean its arms are all deformed and elongated. Its teeth are exposed and many other parts of its body have deformed themselves. Especially around the neck and main torso. I wonder......are the affects of activating the limiters in Unit 02 reversable?

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote: I wonder......are the affects of activating the limiters in Unit 02 reversable?

If it had instantaneous metamorphic abilities, who's to say that it can't reverse it? And even if the eva doesnt revert itself, Nerv could probably do it considering they made the Evas

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote:I would speculate that the limiters are not used too often since they may actually shorten an Eva's lifespan

Just to nitpick, "limiter" implies that these devices are being used by default to rein in the Evas' power. (Limiter = something that limits.)

Additionally, going by those quotes, Eva-01 seems to be able to just have her limiters shut off, and she doesn't need to have them popped out of her body like control rods to tap her native power. Try figuring that one out.

And, yeah. If an Eva can metamorph one way, don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to put it in reverse during repairs.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Reichu wrote:Additionally, going by those quotes, Eva-01 seems to be able to just have her limiters shut off, and she doesn't need to have them popped out of her body like control rods to tap her native power. Try figuring that one out.

During her first berserk, Unit 01 crashed into Sachi's AT field, didn't crack it or anything at her running speed, just bounced off. She then had to pry it open with what would look like a bit of effort.

Mari in Unit 02 ( Limit Break )
She didn't even get a running start, directly after entering her limit break, she simply jumped. This jump had enough power so smash through God knows how many AT fields more than likely more powerful than Sachi's field.
I'm definantly thinking that Za Beasto is far more powerful that The Beast

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm not sure what the Sachiel battle has to do with anything previously brought up.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:37 pm

wonderluster wrote:
Reichu wrote:Additionally, going by those quotes, Eva-01 seems to be able to just have her limiters shut off, and she doesn't need to have them popped out of her body like control rods to tap her native power. Try figuring that one out.

During her first berserk, Unit 01 crashed into Sachi's AT field, didn't crack it or anything at her running speed, just bounced off. She then had to pry it open with what would look like a bit of effort.

Mari in Unit 02 ( Limit Break )
She didn't even get a running start, directly after entering her limit break, she simply jumped. This jump had enough power so smash through God knows how many AT fields more than likely more powerful than Sachi's field.
I'm definantly thinking that Za Beasto is far more powerful that The Beast

Well,yeah.Breaking Zeruel's layer's of AT fields was a combined effort between the Eva and Mari.Unit 02 likely had more power when going berserk because of Mari's help.

While Unit 01 didnt have any help because Shinji was presumly knocked out and couldnt break Sachi's AT field without any way to gain additonal power.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Eva 04 wrote:
Well,yeah.Breaking Zeruel's layer's of AT fields was a combined effort between the Eva and Mari.Unit 02 likely had more power when going berserk because of Mari's help.

While Unit 01 didnt have any help because Shinji was presumly knocked out and couldnt break Sachi's AT field without any way to gain additonal power.

Thaaaank you

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:37 pm

Doesn't Unit-01 go ZA BEASTO when attacking Zureul? You know, laser eyes, RED GLOWING STUFF, and Kung-fu Grip AT Field Arm? Shinji is in control the entire time too.
Lolfreudian

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Considering that Shinji indeed was in control it can be said(speculated?) that Shinji [unintentionally] activated "beast mode". That's what I figured after watching the movie.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:52 pm

I don't think he intentionally activated 'beast mode'. I think it just sorta happened in the heat of the moment.
Lolfreudian

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

^- Yeah, that's why I said "[unintentionally]".

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:04 am

Beast wars! -growl-

You can assume that all Evas have a "Beast mode" which is nothing more then them throwing away what makes them "Human" which seems like it would fit more with Eva Unit 01 then Unit 02.

What happen in the end of 2.0 was not as much Beast mode as it was...Key to Third Impact Mode.

I find it odd that Rit. knew that this could happen or at least assumed correctly.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 am

Mad wrote:Shinji is in control the entire time too.

Exactly how much is debatable...

Normal piloting works because the Eva's body is basically human, and training would be received for things like ATF mobilization. It's not as if Shinji knows anything about Eva-01's hidden capacities -- and, even if he was somehow suddenly filled with this information Matrix-style, attributing all of the Eva-centered events at the end of the film to Shinji's conscious control is an extremely difficult proposition to swallow.

So, consider the possibility that Shinji's "control" over Eva-01 is a semi-illusion, and that with the increased plug depth his selfish and raging ego is both powering and being overtaken by the (almost) unstoppable force of the Eva.

With any luck, things will become more clear later.

Regarding "Beast Mode", according to the script Eva-02 takes on "Beast Configuration 2" or something. Presumably there is a less severe version. What happens to Eva-01 later on is, as Ota notes, something totally different.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:53 am

Reichu wrote:What happens to Eva-01 later on is, as Ota notes, something totally different.

I always thought of it as Eva-02 is descending (lol devil horns and pretty much just an angry animal) and Eva-01 is ascending (the halo and being relatively calm compared Eva-02).

slkdragon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby slkdragon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:56 am

I can't recall what it was exactly that caused me to think this, but ever since the first time I saw 2.0 I've been under the impression that Beast Mode
seemed to be something installed in Unit-02 by it's European builders. Something included in a different model, built by a different country, and at the time, piloted by someone (presumably) from a different organization.

Just offering my two bits of observation. :smirk:
Fair warning: I have the quirk of reading your posts with the voice of your avatar.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”