FLCL to be re-released

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

FLCL to be re-released

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:47 pm

I just thought I'd post this bit of news for anybody who doesn't know yet. [url]www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-06/funimation-licenses-gainax-flcl-anime[/url] I'll definitely be getting it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:00 am

Whoa sweet. I just got the whole show a few months ago--I happened to randomly come across the first two vols in FYE in October/Novemberish, grabbed them like hotcakes (brand new, too!), and ordered a "used, like new" vol 3 off amazon.

I don't think I need another release, but considering how desperately I hunted the damn series all summer I can definitely sympathize with anyone trying to get their hands on it. It'd be nice if Funi picked up the rights to Haibane Renmei as well (or some old sk00l shit) & released some box sets.

HENRCAST
Adam

FLCL getting re-released... IN BLU-RAY!

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 pm

I really hope it's as awesome as the Ultimate Edition (which I wanted to buy, but it's out of print, and as much as I love FLCL, I'm not paying 200 dollars). Now I want the exact release date!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:23 pm

Wow, a show re-licensed by a different company including the previous dub? That doesn't happen that often, does it?

FLCL is one of my favorites, but I don't know about spending money to buy it again on BluRay. Maybe I'll ask for it as a gift some time, and give the DVDs to someone who has never seen it.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Wow, a show re-licensed by a different company including the previous dub? That doesn't happen that often, does it?
I agree, that is weird
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:24 am

What? This happens all the time.

Most of Geneon rescues kept the original dub. Shana, Familiar of Zero, etc. It's much, much cheaper to buy the original dub rights than re-dubbing it. Only exceptions like One Piece where the dubbing it themselves would increase the value far beyond keeping the original.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Apjak
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Apjak » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:49 am

I wish the the Akira DVD release had had the previous dub. I miss pointing out Donatello's VA to people.

Also, excited about a Blu-Ray release. My only copy was of dubious (Chinesian) origin.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:54 am

This is awesome! I don't have hard copies on DVD, so I'll definitely be on the lookout for this when I'm in town! FLCL is one of the few shows where it is worth getting on DVD/Blu-Ray/etc.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:47 pm

I have not seen the show since it was on Adult swim, I remember liking it and I need to watch it again soon.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:13 am

Ah, Fooly Cooly. That show epitomizes me adolescence and it's probably the only thing I'm capable of feeling genuine nostalgia for. It recalls wide stretches of green, warm summer days and clear blue skies (which for some reason, are all symbols of childhood to me, don't ask why) which seem now to be perpetually covered in grey (both the sky and the earth). I got the DVDs way back in either '05 or '06 and I played them to death, really I could watch it non-stop. Then when my DVD player broke down and I had to watch all my DVDs on the PS2, for some reason I could still play FLCL on the broken DVD player, which always struck me as odd. I still have them and whenever I do watch them again, every muscle in my body is filled with the joy and vigor that cynicism has resolved away. I don't watch them much anymore though, it's too sacred to me.

Funny, I think I discovered Eva not long after FLCL, not sure (oh wait, yes, I am sure, because they made an Eva reference in episode 2 or 3 and I didn't know what Eva was when I first saw FLCL), and while Eva made the bigger impression on me, FLCL has remained pure. Eva is so deeply ingrained into my brain, I can't distinguish it from me anymore, but FLCL is still something alive, something free . . . something I've lost.

Eh, I hate this sentimental crap. Remind me to never share my feelings with you people again.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Zeruel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruel » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 am

Cant wait always wanted to get the series on dvd now's my chance to own it on bluray
Why in God's name would I wanna keep writing about characters whose central preoccupation are weed and dick and fart jokes? I mean, ya gotta grow man. Don't you ever want anything more for yourself? I know this poor hapless son of a bitch does. I look into his sorry doe eyes and I just, I see a man crying out. He's crying out, "When Lord? When the fuck can your servant ditch this foul-mouthed little chucklehead to whom I am a constant victim of his folly, so much so that it prevents him from ever getting to kiss a girl! Fuck! When, Lord when? WHENS GONNA BE MY TIME?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Late reply is late but this is awesome news. I have some crappy (most likely a bootleg instead of a fansub, I got it from a family member -_-; ) DVD-release of FLCL, so getting a legit copy that's hopefully not too expensive is great news.

And of course, MOAR Pillows! :3

♪ I can feel
I can feel that hybrid rainbow
kinou made erabarenakatta bokura demo
ashita wo motteru ♫
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 pm

To bring this thread more up to date: shortly after Funimation announced that it was releasing FLCL on Blu-ray (most likely upscaled like their other Blu-rays of standard definition anime), Gainax announced its own Blu-ray release of the show. As far as I've been able to find, the Gainax ads didn't say anything about the show being HD, and I've read several places (that probably copied the information from each other) that FLCL was only rendered at 480p. This makes sense, as HD televisions didn't do much in the way of existing when FLCL was produced.

This doesn't mean a Blu-ray release is pointless, however. Because of its storage capacity, all six episodes can be stored on one single-layer disc without any compression artifacts. DVDs tend to have compression artifacts no matter how hard they try not to. MPEG-2 is just so darn inefficient by modern standards.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:25 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:To bring this thread more up to date: shortly after Funimation announced that it was releasing FLCL on Blu-ray (most likely upscaled like their other Blu-rays of standard definition anime), Gainax announced its own Blu-ray release of the show. As far as I've been able to find, the Gainax ads didn't say anything about the show being HD, and I've read several places (that probably copied the information from each other) that FLCL was only rendered at 480p. This makes sense, as HD televisions didn't do much in the way of existing when FLCL was produced.

This doesn't mean a Blu-ray release is pointless, however. Because of its storage capacity, all six episodes can be stored on one single-layer disc without any compression artifacts. DVDs tend to have compression artifacts no matter how hard they try not to. MPEG-2 is just so darn inefficient by modern standards.

Considering FLCL's more digital nature, i doubt this will be the case. I don't know really much about this, except that I imagine it would be easier to rerender or whatever would be required to bump FLCL up to BluRay quality on a computer, whereas with Eva they'd pretty much have to reanimate the whole series. There's probably a hidef digital master of FLCL in the Gainax database somewhere.

Hopefully. I'd loooove to see FLCL on the 1080 dpi. Roll one up, burn one down and have a FLCL party. Mmmmm. I'm squishy inside just thinking about it.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Any release date for this yet?
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Woah, the Japanese release will contain the English subtitles AND the English dub! It also says it's "1080p High-Def", though for all we know that could still just mean upscaled. But yeah, English subtitles. And the English dub, which is the first dub I think of when I think of "high-quality English dub". Screw the Funimation release; I know what I'm buying.

...When I can afford to pay $150 plus shipping for a six-episode OVA.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Do we know for a fact the Funimation and Japanese releases aren't the same release, just one being local?

Either way, I'll probably get the Japanese myself once I can afford it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:33 am

I wonder if indeed this is a proper remaster instead of just upscaling will Funi get it or are they doing the BD themselves. Please let them get it from the Japanese. I don't have that kind of money to blow on a 6ep show, regardless of how much I love it.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 pm

The last three Gainax.co.jp toppages have been FLCL-themed, presumably in conjunction with the upcoming Blu-Ray release. (My archive is here).

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Nice.

FLCL is the only show where I prefer the dub over subs, dunno why.

Maybe it´s because the first time I saw it, it was already dubbed and it kinda grew on me.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”